Access Fee Question - Ethernet Connection & Multiple Receivers

atomic22

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jan 23, 2006
OK
I know Dish will waive the $5.00 access fee if you have your receivers connected to the Internet. Do you need to have EACH of your Ethernet capable receivers hooked up or just one? I currently have a 722 and 522, but am thinking about getting another 722. I don't currently have the infrastructure to connect another receiver to the net, and don't want to get on the dreaded "audit list" for not phoning home correctly. Thanks!

Unless you can talk them out of it, they'll likely ding you the fee. Being audited is a crapshoot. They're really after people with large numbers of receivers activated that they think may be account stacking. You can also use a wireless access point or the HomePlug solution for connection to a wireless router.

The fee is for dual tuner receivers, ethernet connection or not. Without the phone line/ethernet connection you pay what you would pay for both receivers in the box.

Correct. The 622s and 722s each need to be connected to a telephone line or Ethernet connection w/Internet connectivity. If you go through the diagnostics on an Internet connected receiver you can see the last date of a call home and the next date it is scheduled. You can also force a connection to test it.

I have two 622s, a 501 and 508. The latter two are never connected to anything and I'm not charged an access fee for them.

About all Dish can tell is that both 622 receivers are on the same network, if they are using some sort of discovery protocol between Dish devices (the reporting dates of the receivers are not synchronized in my case). Dish cannot routinely resolve your IP to your account, and to help in that regard I force a new IP address from Verizon every week just for the "H" of it by releasing and renewing on my router.

Ah... but there's another way... The 622 and 722 both have built-in HomePlug support. Basically, network over your household power lines. Here's the thread that discusses it:
http://www.satelliteguys.us/dish-network-forum/103982-homeplug-built-into-622-how-cool.html

Basically, you buy a HomePlug network bridge, plug it into a wall socket next to your router, hook up your router by ethernet cable to the HomePlug bridge, and you have your network in place. That thread gives you more detail.

I've been considering this myself. I have a 622 and 522 at the moment, but want to swap out the 522 with a 622 or 722. Right now, I have those old, funky telephone jacks over powerline adapters that work, sort of... but they aren't very reliable.

Thanks for the info!

Just spoke with a guy at work today and he said he has a 622 and 722. He doesn't have landline phone service. He said he connected the 722 up to the net, called Dish, and they took away the access fee!? I know the guy and I don’t' think he would make this up. He told me he never thought twice about it; thought that was the way it worked. Guess it’s one of those "catch the right CSR at the right time" deals!

Unless you can talk them out of it, they'll likely ding you the fee. Being audited is a crapshoot. They're really after people with large numbers of receivers activated that they think may be account stacking. You can also use a wireless access point or the HomePlug solution for connection to a wireless router.

How would you connect wirelessly? Is the a wireless adapter in the 622/722? I understand the homeplug but I didn't know they were wireless capable. If I can connect to my wireless router, I don't have to get into my crawlspace.

Acerbean

I thought the homeplug support allows you to connect your receivers together through the Dishcomm feature via your power lines (ac plugs) - and if you are able to connect them both successfully with the Dishcomm feature, only one of the receivers had to be connected to the internet? You wouldn't need any wireless feature if one of your receivers can connect directly to the internet. That receiver would then connect to the other receiver through your ac plug using your home ac wiring. Then both would be accounted for and you wouldn't get the additional outlet fee.

The way my house is wired, though, doesn't allow for the Dishcomm feature to work so I do connect each one of them to the same router. However, my question is if it would be okay to have each receiver connect to different internet providers. No tricky stuff here - I just happen to have cable internet near one receiver, and DSL service near another receiver. I haven't done that for fear that they would think that it would seem that the receivers were in different houses, but honest - they're not. It just would be more convenient for me.

Jim5506 - what do you mean by your comment? I do not get charged the $5 additional outlet fee with both of my 722s on the internet, but when I did not have my older receivers (used to have two 301s single tuners) connected the phone line I was charged the fee.

I have a vip222 should i plug it into my network or just leave it on the phone line? I just had the install last week and ran 4 rg6 quads and 2 cat5e's to where each box was (also have a dvr) 2 for the sat (in and out) 1 for my cameras and 1 for my OTA antenna. The cat5e 1 phone and 1 lan

I have a vip222 should i plug it into my network or just leave it on the phone line? I just had the install last week and ran 4 rg6 quads and 2 cat5e's to where each box was (also have a dvr) 2 for the sat (in and out) 1 for my cameras and 1 for my OTA antenna. The cat5e 1 phone and 1 lan

Either works for the $5 savings.

A few functions were still only working by phone line, the last I heard.

But several functions have or are about to become available via the Internet for some models. Video on Demand and Web Scheduling. Not sure if they will be available with the ViP222. May need to wait for the External Hard Drive that was promised some time back.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)