Access On Demand Movies and Shows

Status
Please reply by conversation.

diestler

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Feb 14, 2012
Denver
I'm currently a DISH customer, considering switching to Directv, but had a question on their packages. On their website, if you get the cheap package (Entertainment), it says access over 4k on demand movies and shows. Jump to next package that is over 6k, next after that is 7k. Is that really true or is the jump really just related to the number of channels, more channels = more shows to get on demand? Basically my question is this: is the on demand essentially the same for Entertainment as any other package for movies (excluding premium channels) and the only difference is the shows you can watch because you have more channels? OR are there really that many more selections by upgrading to a higher package?

is the on demand essentially the same for Entertainment as any other package for movies (excluding premium channels) and the only difference is the shows you can watch because you have more channels? OR are there really that many more selections by upgrading to a higher package?
I'm not well versed in it but I think it's mostly about the channels. Then there's all of the pay per view On Demands; and for free off the top of my head dozens of Sony and MGM(1080p) movies

That's with a package lower than Entertainment, so Entertainment and up should have at least those.

I'm not sure if there's an increase in Cinema (Ppv) for download though, in upping the package.

Last edited:
The demand content for channel-based programming is tied to what you subscribe to.

For example, if you don't subscribe to Choice Ultimate or better, you don't get access to the Encore demand content.

If you receive a channel with your package you also receive it in On Demand. If your package doesn't include a channel then you can not watch it in On Demand either.

Its a little confusing, but I'll try to clear it up...
First off, On Demand requires at least one HD-DVR connected to broadband internet (HD-DVR's are the only receivers that can access it).
On Demand is set up with different "providers". DirecTV has its own On Demand channels (1000 and 1100). These channels offer both free and pay-for on demand content. I believe that that's where the 7000 in the advertising comes from.
In addition to the 2 channels that DirecTV has, most of the networks on DirecTV have their own On Demand channels where they offer their own programming. Most, if not all, of those programs are free to download. In order to be able to get a networks On Demand content (or Channel) you need to either have that network as part of your package, or subscribe to it as an extra.
For example, Encore can be a part of your package with Choice Ultimate or better (as mentioned above) or you can get it by adding the Starz Super Pack (Which, IMHO is the best add-on package they have).. either way, if you have the Encore channels, you also would have the Encore On Demand Channel.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)