Acqiruing Signal when changing OTA channels on OTA

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

ride525

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 7, 2003
SF Bay Area, California
Lately it seems that the Acquiring Signal problem happens a lot more when changing channels (mostly OTA to OTA channels). It's annoying, and then there's a wait for the guide to download.

Any suggestions? I have an 811 with the latest software downloaded.

Thanks

Jeff

Aquiruing Signal when changing OTA channels on OTA

Make sure your guide display in on "Full guide no video", not the "Partial guide with video", since I've done that I rarely if ever have a problem with that
anymore. Maybe it's just my 811, but it's made a difference for me. Just go to the "Guide Display", belive it's in the Installation part of the menu.

I switched the guide display as you suggested to "full guide no video". I will report back.

But, this problem wasn't happening when looking at the guide.....just changing the OTA channels from one to the next. Like selecting 007-1 after viewing 004-1.

Acquiruing Signal when changing OTA channels on OTA

I realize after I posted my reply that this was happening when changing channels, not using the guide. That's something I have not heard of before, may have something to do with the channel info, on the release of the last software update. Maybe someone else has had this experience too. The only
other suggestion I could make is to turn off your 811 at night, seems to help
keep the guide info up to date, without getting the guide download at various
times. Good Luck!

Simply push the sat button on your remote and then the power button. Your light (blue or amber) should go off on the 811. That puts the 811 in standby.

Same OTA issue

I too, am experiencing the the "Please Wait..." screens when I'm merely switching channels. I also experience the BSOD every few days as well as the occasional slide-show video bug on the HD channels. I've only had the 811 for a few weeks but I'm about to toss it out the window.

I called Dish yesterday when it blacked out for no rerason, and they said they will ship out a replacement 811 in "a few days". We'll see.

After reading all these posts, I seriously doubt that a different receiver will correct anything. But I sure hope I'm wrong. 281 is my first and only experience. I honestly don't know how you guys put up with the earlier releases. Don't they Beta test this stuff???? It's relatively easy to force a failure.

My hat is off to you for putting up with this.

ride525 said:
I switched the guide display as you suggested to "full guide no video". I will report back.

But, this problem wasn't happening when looking at the guide.....just changing the OTA channels from one to the next. Like selecting 007-1 after viewing 004-1.
I haven't tried switching channels directly from one OTA to a non-adjacent OTA, but I know that switching OTA channels with the channel up/down keys on the remote never caused me to have an "Acquiring Signal". It may be that keying in non-adjacent channels forces the 811 to look at the EPG, and that triggers the bug. I think I'll try that at home tonight. :confused:

You know what's weird. The last few times I've used my 811, it didn't give me the acquiring signal/downloading guide crap when I switch directly to a sat channel from an OTA channel that had been tuned to for quite some time.

It just switched channels as it was supposed to!!! I had to pinch myself.

It doesn't seem that there is any rhyme or reason on when the 811 needs to go to the annoying acquiring signal screen. I think my 811 is a female, for sure. ;)

Ah. That's right. It's when going to the guide, not a sat channel. I believe I went to the guide after being on an OTA channel for days (I don't use the 811 much), and was shocked that it didn't go into it's 5 minute routine.

I'll try it again when I get home. It should still be on OTA ABC from last night's Saving Private Ryan.

When you switch, do you notice the signal level of the OTA? In most markets most DTV's are not full power. Since there was not a profitable business plan, most went on the air at low power just to satisfy the FCC. We are in market 52 and 2 of the 6 DTV's on the air are at full power. Where I live I get 4 of the 6 with greater than 50% signal.

GaryPen said:
It's official. I've been going to the guide, after being on an OTA channel for a while, and NO acquiring signal/downloading guide dance!!! It used to ALWAYS do it.
Not so fast there, Sparky! I was watching football on the Fox OTA channel in HD for about 2 hours, hit the Guide key, and got another Acquiring Signal. I had the 811 off all night. :mad:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)