Acquired Primestar & Starband dishes w/ lnb's

Status
Please reply by conversation.

SATisfied

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 22, 2006
Lineboro, MD
I just got a Primestar dish w/ the lnb, and a Starband internet satellite dish also with it's original lnb, that supposedly transmits and receives signals.

My question: I'm pretty certain that the Primestar dish will only pick up orbital signals, and not linear....please correct me if I'm wrong. Also can I use the internet lnb to receive tv signals, or would I need to replace it? I would like to set it up as a fixed dish to get G10R 123W. Which would be the best dish to use? They are pretty much identical as far as the dish itself ....both are elliptical dishes. Can I use a standard universal lnb to replace the original
Primestar, or is it going to need something different? Thanks for any input.

The PrimeStar LNBF is a standard linear type, it should work fine. If it has two outputs labeled "H" and "V" you need a standard multiswitch.

The PrimeStar LNBF is a standard linear type, it should work fine. If it has two outputs labeled "H" and "V" you need a standard multiswitch.

It does have two cables coming from the lnb. I know what a diseqc switch is, but what is a multiswitch?.....same thing?

switch to combine the H and V signals, the receiver sends a tone down the coax to activate the switch, which then gives you horizontal or vertical channels.

Did you take the cover off the LNB to see if it has one or Two outputs. Mine had two cables comming out but when I took the cover off only one was connected. If it has one output then that would be even better since it switches H and V internally, no need for a switch then. I have a Primestar dish on a SG 2100 motor and it works great.

Did you take the cover off the LNB to see if it has one or Two outputs. Mine had two cables comming out but when I took the cover off only one was connected. If it has one output then that would be even better since it switches H and V internally, no need for a switch then. I have a Primestar dish on a SG 2100 motor and it works great.

I haven't taken the cover off yet....I will now that you've enlightened me. I have a Fortec 36" dish on a Stab HH100 motor. I'm wondering if the Primestar dish would work any better. I'm using an Invacom qph 031 lnb. I have never been able to get G10R with my present setup. I think the overhanging soffit interferes with the signal when I'm pointed that far west. I was thinking about mounting the Primestar on a fixed pole above the roof and see if I can get it that way. Also, does anyone know about these satellite internet lnb's? This one looks real different....the face of it that points to the dish is wedge shaped. It folds down the center vertically and slopes back on each side kinda like this... > but not as steep. How do these lnb's transmit a signal back up to the sat? Do they bounce a signal back onto the dish and reflect it back up to the sat? I'm kind of intrigued by
it. Thanks for the feedback.

...f it has one output then that would be even better since it switches H and V internally, no need for a switch then. ...
Depends on what your intent is. The H/V separate connectors allow you to use a very cheap (under $5) switch to end up with a Quad LNB - which means you can connect 4 receivers to the lnb without any polarity issues. A quad lnb would cost a significant amount more than $5 to purchase.

Agreed, the separate H/V output would be more beneficial if you intend to connect more than one receiver.

As for the Starband dish, the long, heavy transmitting LNB is of no use for FTA. The dish will work as a TVRO (receive only) dish on any Ku-band satellite. Would be great on G-10R :)

Thanks for the info on the transmitting lnb. I didn't think it would be much good for FTA, but I'm still curious as to how it works.....it seems as though it would need to transmit a concise microwave beam directly to the sat, but I don't see anything pointed in that direction except for the dish itself. It must be bouncing a signal off of the dish back up to the sat. It just doesn't make a lot of sense to me. The dish focuses the dispersed satellite signals onto the face of the lnb and not the other way around, it would seem. I'm stumped. I couldn't find any info on the net. Oh well, this is an FTA forum, not a satellite internet forum.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)