Acquiring Guide Data on New HR24-200 receiver

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Gdubs97

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Mar 13, 2015
Gdubs97
Recently my HR24-100 fan died at my vacation home. This was set up back in 2008 and had one line going into the receiver directly.

I replaced this receiver with the HR24-200 and activated it at my main residence. At my main residence there are two lines going in and I have a BBC on each line. Activation went fine.

I brought the receiver to my vacation home today and it freezes up and the screen says "acquiring guide data" I only have one line there. I called DTV and they said to give it time. Unplug receiver, etc. Nothing works. I switched lines and even brought a BBC and tried it with one. I'm not tech savvy and I just watch tv. Any advice?

So just let it run? When I click on more info it says that this should take 2 minutes and try to reset the box by pressing red button or call customer service. I've done that.

in the spirit of being thorough, you have done the box set up again @ your second location, using either the SWM3 or SWM5 LNB settings right?

You will likely need to change the satellite settings. I don't remember on the HR24 if you need to hold down info or press menu but doing one or the other while it says acquiring info should take you to the menu where you need to go to Settings > Satellite > Repeat satellite setup. It will probably automatically pick up Slimline 3S (SWM) or Slimline 5S. Hit continue and roll thru the setup and that should fix.

You will likely need to change the satellite settings. I don't remember on the HR24 if you need to hold down info or press menu but doing one or the other while it says acquiring info should take you to the menu where you need to go to Settings > Satellite > Repeat satellite setup. It will probably automatically pick up Slimline 3S (SWM) or Slimline 5S. Hit continue and roll thru the setup and that should fix.
They only Automatically pick if it's a SWM set up, not Slimline, with out knowing more about the set up the OP is using at the 2nd location, it's only speculation as to how to fix it, that said, Yes, he should run a Repeat Sat Set Up at the 2nd location and make sure to choose the correct Dish set up.
Does anyone know for sure what dish he's using ?
Is one a SWM (at the home) and the other not ?

HR24 with a single line direct into the receiver without a b band converter is more than likely SWM. The only other possibility is if it is connected to an 18" or 18x20 in single tuner mode or the HD channels were not being received.

Agreed, speculation. OP, can you identify which dish you have?

I ran the set up and it picked up dish type: slinline-5, switch type: multiswitch, tuners: dual

I checked signal strength and everything came up as zero

I verified configuration and it ran for a few minutes and then said "a satellite signal could not be detected. Please check your installation and re-test."

I looked on the roof and the dish is very wide and oval like and it seems to have 3 or 5 lnb. I could get more detail to,orrow when it's light out. I'm going to pick different dish type and run the set up until something picks up. Any ideas??

Press the dash button. Does it say you have a swm setup? If so, is the power inserter working? If not, check to be sure it's plugged in and not into a power strip that may have been turned off. If you don't have a swm setup, you need a b band converter.

Reactions: Jimbo
It said it cannot detect an swm. I didn't have a bband or swm power inverter with the old receiver. I brought one of my b bands and have that on it now just in case that was it.

I asked about the swm since you said there was only one cable from the dish, which normally means a swm setup. It sounds like there was a receiver there before that only has one tuner, so only one cable was necessary. If it's not a swm setup, then you will need to add another cable from the dish in order to use both tuners in the dvr.

Running Another cable is out of my league. Do you know an installer in the norwalk, ct area? I know I screwed sometching up because when it wasn't workjng at first I went into the setup and got some numbers on the signal strength. I started changing stuff and Now I'm trying all of these setups and getting nothing.

The dish looks like an "international dish"

Last edited:
Now that it's daylight I can see the dish. It says slimline across the front of it and it looks to have 3 lnb and one cable coming off of it. that cable comes directly into my place. Previously with the old receiver it went straight into the back of the box.

Now that it's daylight I can see the dish. It says slimline across the front of it and it looks to have 3 lnb and one cable coming off of it. that cable comes directly into my place. Previously with the old receiver it went straight into the back of the box.
If your lnb is indeed a non swm legacy lnb you need to choose single tuner and not dual tuner if using just one cable.

If the dish is swm, which I think it maybe, sounds like you could be missing the power inverter that powers the dish.

Reactions: Jimbo
Is there a power inserter connected anywhere between the dish and the dvr?

I'm going to borrow a swm power inverter hopefully today to see if that works. But why didn't I need one with the previous receiver?

I'm going to borrow a swm power inverter hopefully today to see if that works. But why didn't I need one with the previous receiver?
If you didn't need one with the previous receiver you don't have a swm lnb. "ALL" swm lnb's require a power inserter, ALL do.

If you don't have a swm lnb then you have a legacy lnb, you will need to set your DVR to single tuner unless you want to run another line to the dish, you will also need a B-band converter.

Can you see the label on the LNB under the eyes, it has a model number, likely starting with SL5 or SL3. If you can give us that we can tell you what LNB setup you have, and if you need the power inserter or not, BBC or not, and what settings to use.

Where is the dish located,is it on the roof? I'd get a ladder,if it's on the roof,to get a closer look at the LNB. I'd check to see if it has one output already connected to a cable,or if it has 4 outputs with only one hooked up to a cable. After determining if you have a 1 output SWM LNB or 4 output LNB can people tell you what to do next.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)