"Acquiring signal" forever after heavy storm, pic of outside solo node

jmreinwald

Original poster
Jun 20, 2017
Mebane, NC
Hi all,

I'm pretty much an idiot when it comes to this stuff, but I want to learn more. We had heavy rain storms last night here and the satellite signal went out. After the storm passed the signal did not return.

The wiring comes into the living room and we have a Hopper with Sling, with two Joeys in separate bedrooms. The tv in the living room was stuck on the "Acquiring Signal" and has been ever since, even after the simple unplug and check connections.

Today when I got home from work, I ran diagnostics (Menu - Settings - Diagnostics).
I go down to Status - Check Status

After a few minutes, it's done and shows two issues.
Port 1 - No Signal
Port 2 - No Signal

Internet, MoCA, HD, and Signal statuses are green/good.

I went outside and checked the dish, and it does not appear to be "loose", as in the wind does not seem to have knocked it around. The cable is buried underground and comes out beside the house from some (buried) 3/4" conduit. The solo node outside, though, has a couple of wires that seem to not be connected.

I attached a file since I could not embed it here.

Can you tell me which goes here?

Thanks!

Attachments

• 20170620_184512.jpg
    20170620_184512.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 430
Hi all,

I'm pretty much an idiot when it comes to this stuff, but I want to learn more. We had heavy rain storms last night here and the satellite signal went out. After the storm passed the signal did not return.

The wiring comes into the living room and we have a Hopper with Sling, with two Joeys in separate bedrooms. The tv in the living room was stuck on the "Acquiring Signal" and has been ever since, even after the simple unplug and check connections.

Today when I got home from work, I ran diagnostics (Menu - Settings - Diagnostics).
I go down to Status - Check Status

After a few minutes, it's done and shows two issues.
Port 1 - No Signal
Port 2 - No Signal

Internet, MoCA, HD, and Signal statuses are green/good.

I went outside and checked the dish, and it does not appear to be "loose", as in the wind does not seem to have knocked it around. The cable is buried underground and comes out beside the house from some (buried) 3/4" conduit. The solo node outside, though, has a couple of wires that seem to not be connected.

I attached a file since I could not embed it here.

Can you tell me which goes here?

Thanks!

I think those are ground wires. Some of our installers will be better equipped to answer that. All said, I don't think those wires are the cause of your issue. It appears that the wiring from the LNBs are terminated correctly and the coax headed toward your receivers looks OK as well.

Reactions: pattykay
Do those node boxes have a separate power brick? If so, why don't you unplug it, wait a few minutes, then plug it back in and see if anything changes.

Nodes do not have a power supply.

Although, if he hasn't, he might want to try unplugging everything in the system for a few minutes.

Did you have any lightning with that rain yesterday?

Sent from my iPad using SatelliteGuys mobile app

Have you unplugged everything to the DISH receiver to reset it?
(I now see same advice given above...)

I appreciate all the responses. Dish technician came out today. Everything outside (node and dish/LNBs) checked out. He traced the issue to a "burned out" F connector on the wall plate. I had no idea they could fail, but he said it should have been a high-bandwidth type. At least I think that's what he called it. He said the difference in looking at them was that the high-bw ones were slightly longer as far as the threaded part is concerned.

That make sense? He replaced it, so clearly that was the problem. I just want to fill in some of the blanks for my own edification.

I appreciate all the responses. Dish technician came out today. Everything outside (node and dish/LNBs) checked out. He traced the issue to a "burned out" F connector on the wall plate. I had no idea they could fail, but he said it should have been a high-bandwidth type. At least I think that's what he called it. He said the difference in looking at them was that the high-bw ones were slightly longer as far as the threaded part is concerned.

That make sense? He replaced it, so clearly that was the problem. I just want to fill in some of the blanks for my own edification.

It could have been a high resistance connection, and lightning or spike during the storm arched it enough to effectively short it out.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)