Activate/Deactivate Reciever...

Status
Please reply by conversation.

johnfron

Original poster
Oct 20, 2005
Is it possible to activate a reciever for a few months of the year, and then deactivate for the rest of the time. In the summer, I'd like to have a reciever activated on my boat (which is in the backyard). But then in the Fall/Winter/Early Spring, I'd like to deactivate it. I don't want to pay the mirroring fee when I'm not using it. Is there any charge (besides the mirroring fee) to do this? I know I'll have to buy another reciever as well. (BTW I have a 4x8 multiswitch - with 3 open ports - so I'm OK there as well).

I don't see why not, unless it somehow violates your agreement (if you have one), not sure of the specifics, call D* about it.

I would think it wouldn't be a problem - especially if you use a reciever that has already had it's "1 year" taken care of.

Don't deactivated the cards 'go bad' after awhile? So you may need a new card every summer?

They can put it the receiver on hold (vs deactivate), but aren't supposed to.

Also it is possible they would want it hooked up to a phone line so it can call in - but that is pretty spotty.

When you call DirecTV to activate it, make sure to tell them it is in a SEASONAL residence. They will put it on HOLD when it is not in use. Snow birds do it all the time.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts