Activated DirecTV 4k VOD service today

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

goaliebob99

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Aug 5, 2004
-.-. .... .. -.-. .- --. ---
Black Friday was very kind to me this year. I was able to find a Samsung HU8550 65' for under 1500 on sale as a door buster at the local Conn's. Paid cash outright and I was finally able to set it up today after having it delivered.

4K activation was a breeze and no truck roll was required.... Here is why!

I already had an HR44 and a DECA setup. The only thing I was missing was the TV.

This TV replaced a VIZIO 65' I bought 6 months ago to hold me over until the prices of 4k sets dropped.
That Vizio ended up going up to my master bed room replacing the 32 inch I had up there.

I called the 1800 DirecTV number and basically explained to the rep that I had everything and needed to activate the RVU MAC address on the TV as well as activate the VOD 4K service on my account. Once we got that going a few min later, I was downloading 4k vod and was able to watch the demo and the 4K intro.

Now I am just waiting for movies to spool. So I am all setup until D14 launches and 4k service launches next year.

NOTE: You may require a truck roll if you dont have all the requirements, but if you do it may be possible to activate over the phone if you meet the requirements and your TV passes the MOCA test when doing the RVU activation! I will keep you posted on how everything looks, but if the demo's are an inclining its some of the best picture quality I have seen on Directv yet.

Netflix UHD looked good too. Now I am waiting on Amazon Prime to launch UHD services.

Black Friday was very kind to me this year. I was able to find a Samsung HU8550 65' for under 1500 on sale as a door buster at the local Conn's. Paid cash outright and I was finally able to set it up today after having it delivered.

4K activation was a breeze and no truck roll was required.... Here is why!

I already had an HR44 and a DECA setup. The only thing I was missing was the TV.

This TV replaced a VIZIO 65' I bought 6 months ago to hold me over until the prices of 4k sets dropped.
That Vizio ended up going up to my master bed room replacing the 32 inch I had up there.

I called the 1800 DirecTV number and basically explained to the rep that I had everything and needed to activate the RVU MAC address on the TV as well as activate the VOD 4K service on my account. Once we got that going a few min later, I was downloading 4k vod and was able to watch the demo and the 4K intro.

Now I am just waiting for movies to spool. So I am all setup until D14 launches and 4k service launches next year.

NOTE: You may require a truck roll if you dont have all the requirements, but if you do it may be possible to activate over the phone if you meet the requirements and your TV passes the MOCA test when doing the RVU activation! I will keep you posted on how everything looks, but if the demo's are an inclining its some of the best picture quality I have seen on Directv yet.

Netflix UHD looked good too. Now I am waiting on Amazon Prime to launch UHD services.
It's good to hear that they activated for you without a truck roll. This should help for people that want to try to get it done themselves.

It's good to hear that they activated for you without a truck roll. This should help for people that want to try to get it done themselves.
The biggest thing is having the equipment already in place. If you have everything in place, all you really need to do is give the CSR the MAC address of the TV and make sure they list it as a Samsung 2014 4k when activating the RVU portion of the tv. Once that is in place all the CSR has to do is activate the VOD portion of the 4k service and you should be good to go. During the activation process the RVU passes the MOCA test you golden. It's really painless if you have the equipment in place.
The biggest benefit is the fact that a truck roll isn't wasted for something that takes 10 min to do over the phone.

Excellent!

Looks like the fact that DirecTV requires a completely different setup between going from non-Genie DVR to Genie DVR (e.g.: SWiM backbone) is the biggest change that's required for 4K service (though I'd surmise the real requirement is really the Genie DVR, per se).

Nice to see that these Genie DVRs are future-proofed -- at least for the next few years, maybe.

For now.. Once when live 4k goes up with reverse band you will need to upgrade your LNB and possibly a new IRD. More should be coming out around CES time on the requirements for live UHD 4K. Until then, this is the setup for VOD 4k.

Excellent!

Looks like the fact that DirecTV requires a completely different setup between going from non-Genie DVR to Genie DVR (e.g.: SWiM backbone) is the biggest change that's required for 4K service (though I'd surmise the real requirement is really the Genie DVR, per se).

Nice to see that these Genie DVRs are future-proofed -- at least for the next few years, maybe.
We have been installing swm backbones per say literally for years now by default. The only chance you wont have it is if you haven't moved or upgraded in several years.

You should be arrested for paying so little for that tv. :)
I paid double that.:(

You should be arrested for paying so little for that tv. :)
I paid double that.:(

I know... That's why I snatched it up as quickly as I did. I was actually thinking about going to the 9000 model then I saw this one on sale. The only difference between this one and the 9000 is that the 9000 has a bit better rating when it comes to the clear motion rating. I saved a ton of cash by going with this model and all of the specs are the same. When I left the store they only had one left.

Now, if we can get the cost of 4k movies down to say what a 3D movie is, that would be much better! I would rather do a 3 day movie for 6.99, so that way I can watch more movies. At 12 -15 bucks per movie that is going to limit how many I buy.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)