Activating a new reciever that I buy.

gdodd12

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 2, 2007
I am looking to buy a receiver for a new TV I am getting. Do I need a rep to come out to get it hooked up properly and activated? I already have a 722 for my main tv and bedroom tv, but will be buying a solo HDDVR for the new basement tv. I was hoping I could do it myself, but the guy that set my service up said I needed someone to come do it.

Thoughts?

There's no reason that you can't do it. I activated a new 211k a week ago. Hooked up the coax from the dish, turned the receiver on, let it download the updates, got online with Dish, and activated.

BTY, updates download occurrs when you turn the receiver off after connecting it to the dish.

Last edited:
If you feel comfortable doing it yourself, there's no reason you can't (especially if you're purchasing the receiver). Run coax (RG-6 or better) from the dish to the receiver (you will need a separator if it is a 612), run the check switch test to verify you are getting signal, the receiver should automatically do the downloads when you try to exit the menus. After the downloads, you get the 129 message (needs to be activated). Call or chat in to DISH to get it activated, and it should be up and running.

If you feel comfortable doing it yourself, there's no reason you can't (especially if you're purchasing the receiver). Run coax (RG-6 or better) from the dish to the receiver (you will need a separator if it is a 612), run the check switch test to verify you are getting signal, the receiver should automatically do the downloads when you try to exit the menus. After the downloads, you get the 129 message (needs to be activated). Call or chat in to DISH to get it activated, and it should be up and running.

The coax is already run. But the guy that installed my dish the other day just has two lines coming from the dish. Will I need another line coming from the dish? Or do I need a three way splitter instead of the two way he has on there now?

One of the cables from the dish should go to the 722, the other to the additional receiver you'll be putting in. Behind the receiver there is a separator (looks like a splitter) that will split the sat signal into both of the "satellite in" tuners on the back of the receiver. You should have a separator behind your 722 if you want to know what it looks like. No splitters should be needed if I understand the setup right.

If you have the new receiver set up and looking at the free channels like dish 101, you can just call Dish and they will activate the receiver without issue. It takes about 10 minutes. Most receivers will do an update as soon as you have them done and have finished the switch test. When this is all done and the receiver sees 101, it is time to call Dish to activate.

One of the cables from the dish should go to the 722, the other to the additional receiver you'll be putting in. Behind the receiver there is a separator (looks like a splitter) that will split the sat signal into both of the "satellite in" tuners on the back of the receiver. You should have a separator behind your 722 if you want to know what it looks like. No splitters should be needed if I understand the setup right.

It has been snow and ice here all week. I will go out and see what the actually dish antenna looks like as far as cables coming out. I thought I saw two coming out, but can't remember. Since I currently have only a 722, will I need a new splitter outside for a third line?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)