Activating new receivers online?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Danny001

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 20, 2012
Bangor, ME
Is this possible? My new account should be up and running in about a week with 3 receivers, if I want to add another 1 or 2 in a month or 2 from now can this be done through my account online? If so how does it work and what info do I need? How many receivers am I allowed in my home?

Is this possible? My new account should be up and running in about a week with 3 receivers, if I want to add another 1 or 2 in a month or 2 from now can this be done through my account online? If so how does it work and what info do I need? How many receivers am I allowed in my home?

Maybe one of the techs can help you out, but, I just got 3 new receivers (added them on) and have only tried to activate one of them online. When I got to my account and put in the card and receiver number, the system didn't recognize it, so had to call a CSR. They activated it no problem. I still have 2 more to activate, should get them done tonight. It won't surprise me if I have to make a phone call for them.

Weird, were these brand spanking new receiver? Is it an automated phone system for activating or do you have to speak to a tech?

No, they were re-conditioned receivers. I've been a customer for quite a few years. I needed 3 DVRs total (already had one) and 2 HDs. So, I'll send the access cards back to them from my 2 SD10s and the HDs will replace those.

When you dial in, they ask for the phone number which you can just speak it, then say "activate receiver" at the voice prompt and you're immediately taken to a CSR. Not all CSRs are equal. I activated one of the HDs a couple of hours ago and she sent me to one of her supervisors, who told me she didn't know why they sent me to her. Doesn't matter, they were nice and activated with no problems.

I did make it a point to ask if they wanted the D10 receivers back, the supervisor CSR said no, all they want is the access card.

No, they were re-conditioned receivers. I've been a customer for quite a few years. I needed 3 DVRs total (already had one) and 2 HDs. So, I'll send the access cards back to them from my 2 SD10s and the HDs will replace those.

When you dial in, they ask for the phone number which you can just speak it, then say "activate receiver" at the voice prompt and you're immediately taken to a CSR. Not all CSRs are equal. I activated one of the HDs a couple of hours ago and she sent me to one of her supervisors, who told me she didn't know why they sent me to her. Doesn't matter, they were nice and activated with no problems.

I did make it a point to ask if they wanted the D10 receivers back, the supervisor CSR said no, all they want is the access card.

Thats Odd, they wanted your access cards back ?

Danny,
Typically it's much better for you to get all your recvrs when you originally do your order as you'll get the New Sub discounts on them, whiule once your activated you generally pay normal prices.

If your buying from somewhere other than D*, make SURE the status of the recvrs ... Leased vs Owned and check with D* ahead of the purchase.

Many people Sell them when they should be returning them.

Last edited:
Rephrase

Let me rephrase I have 6 brand new receivers from a dealer 4 are ready for activation and will be done by installer tomorrow the other 2 will be going in the basement when finished, when ready can I plug these into my swm splitter and go Online to activate since these are brand new OR am I better off to hook them up to the splitter now without being connected to a tv and get them activated at the same time and just let them sit powered on until the basement has tvs to hook them up to

Last edited:
Thats Odd, they wanted your access cards back ?

Yep, When I got the two HD receivers, they had post paid envelopes in the box to put the access cards in them to send back. Dunno, doesn't seem like a smart card would be worth sending back. I don't know if there are hackers out there that could do anything with them these days, or not, maybe that's why they want them back. I just sent them back, I want no part of any type of hacking. Funny that they didn't want the receivers back. I guess D10s are on their way out.

Let me rephrase I have 6 brand new receivers from a dealer 4 are ready for activation and will be done by installer tomorrow the other 2 will be going in the basement when finished, when ready can I plug these into my swm splitter and go Online to activate since these are brand new OR am I better off to hook them up to the splitter now without being connected to a tv and get them activated at the same time and just let them sit powered on until the basement has tvs to hook them up to

Hmmm, I don't know about buying from a dealer, but usually, if you buy from D*, they say you have to activate each receiver within 30 days or they could charge you 100 bucks or so for each one that isn't activated. I don't know why, but I did read that in the agreement. Good luck, hope it all goes well.

Yep, When I got the two HD receivers, they had post paid envelopes in the box to put the access cards in them to send back. Dunno, doesn't seem like a smart card would be worth sending back. I don't know if there are hackers out there that could do anything with them these days, or not, maybe that's why they want them back. I just sent them back, I want no part of any type of hacking. Funny that they didn't want the receivers back. I guess D10s are on their way out.

Possibly collecting them to re distribute them ...
Maybe getting low ... new Generation coming ?

Hmmm, I don't know about buying from a dealer, but usually, if you buy from D*, they say you have to activate each receiver within 30 days or they could charge you 100 bucks or so for each one that isn't activated. I don't know why, but I did read that in the agreement. Good luck, hope it all goes well.

Yes, there is a stipulation as tom how soon you need to activate them.

Danny, you could have them activated by the installer, but you'd be paying the addl. recvr (Lease fee) on those recvrs that you may not be using for awhile.

Depends on how long you think it's gonna be till your ready.

I would definitely have the installer run the lines to the basement where you need them.
If you go that route, it's just a case of hooking them up and activating them, may be able to activate online, I don't know for sure, I've always called in.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts