Activating old D* Tivos on current account

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Bruce Lowekamp

Original poster
Dec 17, 2008
Williamsburg, VA
Apologies if this has been asked before, but I couldn't find it.

I used to be a D* customer, but have since left for cable. My father switched to d* a few months ago and is unhappy losing the tivo interface. I had an SD D* tivo and the HD D* tivo. I know he won't be able to get any of the mpeg4 HD programming, but is there any reason he wouldn't be able to activate those two boxes on his account and use them for the $4.99 additional box fee plus the $5 dvr fee? Would he be able to return his leased SD receiver, or does he wind up having to keep it?

Thanks,
Bruce

Expect a $20 card fee for each old receiver he adds to his account. Any leased receivers deactivated have to be returned to D*.

He should be ok.. although in a month or so he may get a letter offering a free HR20+ upgrade for his HR10 which would have to be returned. Like said they may charge a $20 access card replacement charge .

He should be ok.. although in a month or so he may get a letter offering a free HR20+ upgrade for his HR10 which would have to be returned. Like said they may charge a $20 access card replacement charge .

I doubt he would have to return the HR10, as it is most likely an owned unit. Directv doesn't want them back.

As a tech doing the install for a replacement we have to bring them back, as it is a replacement in order to receive current service, many times they leave the new HR2x on teh account as a CO and unleased if the customer requests it to be.

He should be ok.. although in a month or so he may get a letter offering a free HR20+ upgrade for his HR10 which would have to be returned.
Obviously not every situation is the same, but when we upgraded an HR10-250 to an HR-21 last spring the didn't ask for the receiver back. And it was a leased unit still under contract from when we got that receiver (which was also free).

Keep in mind that at some point, we don't know when at this point, he won't be able to get any channels with those receivers - eventually even SD will be going to MPEG-4. But hopefully he would be offered a free equipment upgrade when that time comes.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)