activating the DVR feature on a VIP211K - NOT !!

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

MikeInAlaska

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 31, 2009
Wasilla, AK
On my second long call to Dish network now. The Dish Network "system" says they need to set up a technician visit to activate this feature. I explain to the rep that what I need is a DVR feature activation code sent down from a satellite... not a technician visit.

The rep says the local Dish Network installer can activate this feature on my receiver. Am I totally off base or is this way far fetched sounding?

>> clueless csr, hang up and try another csr.

ding! you win the prize : )

Actually there seemed to be something weird about it all, and I think its associated (AGAIN) with being in Alaska. The 1st rep said no way it could be done, had to be done locally. Second rep said "It SAYS you need a local installer, but thats not right." and then hung up on me on hold. The 3rd rep knew the workaround.

So yes... the answer for this situation is - keep calling.

It's called CSR Roulette. A game many Dish subscribers must know how to play. What I can't figure out is that, so far, 100% of the time, it is the 3rd CSR who knows what they are doing and gets the job done.

It's called CSR Roulette. A game many Dish subscribers must know how to play. What I can't figure out is that, so far, 100% of the time, it is the 3rd CSR who knows what they are doing and gets the job done.

Or you can be ask to be routed to a tech.
When I activated my 211 as a dvr the CSRs could not do it but the tech guy did and very quickly.

'Cause third time's a charm.:)

I'd been watching Dish standard def on an ancient 1000? receiver for 10 years I bet. Now in the last month I am watching 1080i HD on a 1080 plasma, and now with this DVR. I had really thought Dish was crappy quality. WOW was I wrong !

I'd been watching Dish standard def on an ancient 1000? receiver for 10 years I bet. Now in the last month I am watching 1080i HD on a 1080 plasma, and now with this DVR. I had really thought Dish was crappy quality. WOW was I wrong !

Well, don't rush with conclusions !

Buy Blu-Ray player ($78 at W*Mart !), then you'll now what kind of crap you're watching now. :D

Actually I have a blu-ray (and certainly appreciate it.) I would counter though by saying... go hook up a 1000 series Dish receiver and watch SD on it for a week : ) HD 1080i looks superb.

I also hooked my Dad up (he lives on the adjacent lot) to my HD (my 129 dish) and I notice that on his 720P LCD television HDTV looks dramatically inferior to 1080P plasma. I think its not only the 720 versus 1080 resolutions, I think the LCD takes something out of it.

also, do not forget to make sure your dads reciever is set up to output on 720p. (on the remote : menu-systemsetup-hd setup). its amazing how many people watch 480p on their 720/1080 tv's because they did not adjust the output.

glad your tv has better picture and you got your dvr activation on your 211. enjoy!

Actually I have a blu-ray (and certainly appreciate it.) I would counter though by saying... go hook up a 1000 series Dish receiver and watch SD on it for a week : ) HD 1080i looks superb.

I also hooked my Dad up (he lives on the adjacent lot) to my HD (my 129 dish) and I notice that on his 720P LCD television HDTV looks dramatically inferior to 1080P plasma. I think its not only the 720 versus 1080 resolutions, I think the LCD takes something out of it.

May I ask to continue compare apple to apples ? ;)

So, please be honest and tell us difference of 1080 from Dish and by Blu-Ray.

Blu-Ray is ?50?+ megabits per second of video and uncompressed audio. You cant ask that of a satellite channel. I have compressed blu-ray discs down to fit on dual layer DVD and they still look killer. So does Dish 1080i IMHO. My point with the 720 versus 1080 talk was more that I think the LCD picture hurts the results than the 720 does.

Or you can be ask to be routed to a tech.
When I activated my 211 as a dvr the CSRs could not do it but the tech guy did and very quickly.

I am going to get an external hardrive this week for my VIP211.

So when I call dish to activate it as a dvr I should immediately ask to talk to a tech guy?

Thanks,

;)

I can say the tech route is best also...

When I first got my 211 activated I had to call back 3 times before it actually downloaded. My advice - have the tv on when you call and don't hang up until the receiver shows that is downloading the update. My 211k went a lot more smoothly when I went straight to a tech. Never can figure out how I did without the feature!

Now if they can just figure out how to acurately display time left/free space on the hard drive I will be extremely happy. Must be based on Mpeg2 because a half hour HD show off Universal decreases time left by about 3 minutes. Oh, I almost forgot, add to the list Dishonline features like the 622 such as internet timer settings.

Satboyz

I am going to get an external hard drive this week for my VIP211.

So when I call dish to activate it as a dvr I should immediately ask to talk to a tech guy?

Thanks,

;)

I should check this site more often. I didn't know anything about adding an external hard drive to the VIP211K.

Now a question, where can I purchase an external HD that is compatible with my VIP211K. I have 2 and this would be a great addition.
I just ordered 2 500 GB Ext hard drives. I'll see what happens now.

Thanks in advance.

Edit 1. When I bought my IMAC last year I bought 2 external 500GB hard drives, 1 to put my working files and the other for backing up my computer. The drives I bought are G Drives. They both have USB, Firewire 400 and one has a Firewire 800 port. I would only need the USB port. I would think 1 of these would work but I am thinking it needs to be formated in a FAT32 format.

Last edited:
Edit 1. When I bought my IMAC last year I bought 2 external 500GB hard drives, 1 to put my working files and the other for backing up my computer. The drives I bought are G Drives. They both have USB, Firewire 400 and one has a Firewire 800 port. I would only need the USB port. I would think 1 of these would work but I am thinking it needs to be formated in a FAT32 format.

Provided the drives are self-powered (not usb powered) either should work fine. The 211 will format the drive to Linux. Anything on the drive will be wiped.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts