Activation

Dodge Ram Nut

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 29, 2005
Mizzourah
Hiya Folks...I have a question I'd like to ask before I venture into this. My mother in law :)( long long story short:( ) moved into a rental home and currently has no cable/sat service. She also doesn't have money growing on trees at this time in her life. The rental house has a Dish 500 pro sat dish already set up (obviously from previous renters).

My m-i-l so desperately wants Dish Network service since all she can get is 1 local channel with a powered indoor amph'd antennae TV set top kind that I bought for her on the day of the move.
Being the nice son-in-law that I am..I went and bought her a 311 standalone a couple of weeks later. I am supposed to hook it up and call it in to activate it. She really just wants the Family package along with locals priced at 25 flat.

My question is this - If I call the 800 number and get to tech support, will they activate the receiver for her since this will be a new account activation for her? She doesn't want the commitments or any thing to tie her down since I bought the 311 outright for her. She just wants service, period.

Will I have trouble getting Dish Tech Support to start up a new account activation? What possible scenarios would likely happen? Thanks in Advance!!

Last edited:
This is a tough one what will prob happen is when you set this up you might have to have a FFA "Free For All" which is where you own your equipment. But the prob is that a FFA is for people that don't have an credit card and its a chunch of change up front. But at that point you might be able to get out of the DHA 18. The main thing is that I believe on ALL new connects professional installation is required.

Professional installations are NOT required on all new connects. Simply call the tech line and let them know you want to activate a receiver on a new account that already has a Dish installed at the residence. They may try and sell you on DHA but just tell them you're not interested and you should be good to go.

He bought the receiver himself all that needs to be done is call and activate, he's not going to be using any dish promos so there are no fees or commitments

BFG said:
He bought the receiver himself all that needs to be done is call and activate, he's not going to be using any dish promos so there are no fees or commitments

Exactly, the only fee that she may pay is a activation fee (50 bucks) but that would be it as far as i can see. Maybe if she gets a good CSR they will wave that for her :)

Hmm well I'm hoping that the activation fee is part of the promos and only applies to those signing up for that

Hmm...I had warned my m-i-l that there may be a 50 dollar activation fee and she was fine with that. She does/will be happy to submit a CC to show she's serious (if you call it that) and will want a monthly paper billing. I know for a fact that she wont go for any commitments or anything like that. If it's 50 bucks, then its a deal. Maybe she could get a CSR and tell them that her s-i-l is a current 10 year Dish customer..*wink* and waive the 50 bucks fee.

Thanks for all the replies. I will be doing this Friday nite when we go to her place and hopefully she'll be smiling from ear to ear within a half hour from connecting.

I am not sure if the Club Dish Referral Program is available for this type of set up, but if so, here's the promotion details and I can provide you with a referral number if you like:

THIS SPECIAL GIFT CERTIFICATE ENTITLES YOUR FRIEND TO DISH NETWORK SATELLITE TV FOR THE WHOLE HOUSE (UP TO 4 ROOMS) WITH DIGITAL HOME ADVANTAGE INCLUDING:

* FREE Activation (a $49.99 value)
* $100 back with America's Top 120 or higher programming
* STARZ Movie Pack FREE for the first 3 months

Important

* System must be installed and programming activated by:01/01/2007
* Requires valid major credit card, Social Security Number and qualifying programming purchase. Participation subject to credit approval.
* Qualifying programming purchase starts at just $34.99/month, including local channels (where available). If service is terminated or downgraded, equipment must be returned to DISH Network. Certain receivers must be continuously connected to a phone line or will be subject to an additional monthly fee.
* Programming offer requires participation in Digital Home Advantage. If you choose to change your programming, you must call at the end of the 3-month period to downgrade to other qualifying programming.
* DISH Network DVR Service fee varies based on programming subscription level.
* This ClubDISH certificate good for new, first-time residential DISH Network customers only.
* Additional restrictions apply for Alaska, Puerto Rico and Hawaii.
* Visit www.dishnetwork.com for programming options and disclaimers.

Qualifying programming purchase starts at just $34.99/month, including local channels

OP mentioned she just wants locals & DishFamily

Dodge Ram...since you own the equipment, she might be able to get just locals for 11.99 (5.99 for locals + 6 BS fee for no package).

Just call and ask you might be pleasantly surprised seeing you own the equipment. But first connect it and be sure it is working before calling.

and if the box is new to make sure everything is downloaded and set to go

you should have 101, 213 & 262 in the clear. Rest is "smartcard not authorized"

Just a heads up on the activation. I arrived to my mother in laws...and I took the receiver out of the box..hooked it up to the already mounted dish..got excellent signal...ran a switch test...saw both Sat's really good..then proceeded to do the download and all the stuff. After I waited like half an hour to get everything down and good, called dish and spoke with tech support.
I clearly stated my intentions, that my m-i-law was to have no commitments, no contracts, no nothing. Just a FamilyDish or Dishfamily with locals. Said she'd hafta check with supervisor. Came back and said "we can do it". So got hooked up and was up and running in 20 min flat.
Tried to get me to upgrade by saying "do you have a favorite channel?" Said yes I do..but I want the Dishfamily package, she then backed down and hooked me up. So all in all..went smoothly!! yay!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts