Active Weather

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

jesserulz233

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Feb 8, 2005
South Carolina
Here is part of the statement many of you remember from Directv in January:

DIRECTV ActiveTM
In February, DIRECTV customers will have access to a wide range of interactive services, which can be both personalized and localized. These new services will include daily and extended weather forecasts, financial market summaries, daily horoscopes, lottery results, pay per view and broadcast TV recommendations, as well as special DIRECTV network promotions. Using the new remote control, viewers simply push the button labeled "Active," then use their remote to navigate through the interactive features.

In addition, DIRECTV Active's video and audio components provide additional information from DIRECTV and its diverse advertising partners. Some of the features available with DIRECTV Active include:

Weather - Provides current and five-day local weather forecasts for thousands of U.S. cities, as well as regional weather maps updated throughout the day.

DIRECTV Mix Channels - Lets customers direct tune to the DIRECTV Mix Channels.

What's Hot - Keeps customers up-to-date on the week's best movies, series and special programming offered by DIRECTV.

Horoscope - Allows customers to check their daily horoscope by clicking on their individual star sign.

Lottery - Offers up-to-the-minute results from the 38 state lotteries in the United States.

Customers with non-interactive-enabled receivers will be able to view the DIRECTV Mix channels, but will not be able to listen and direct tune to the channels featured on the screen. In addition, the DIRECTV ActiveTM functionality will not be available on non-interactive-enabled receivers.

DIRECTV has been deploying interactive-capable receivers since April 2004. In February, these set-top boxes will receive a software download that will enable these interactive capabilities. The model number of this new box is the D10 basic receiver from DIRECTV.

Notice that I bolded February. It seems as though Directv fell behind on their promise to Deliver this to us. I went and bought a D10 back in January so that I could recieve this. I just hope they release this very soon.

jesserulz233 said:
I just hope they release this very soon.

Do you prefer having a buggy software on time or a working software a little later?

I bet if you called customer retention and told them you bought the D10 partly because of this press release, that they would give you some sort of discount or upgrade at no cost to you. Trust me, I called them about an minimal issue I was having with D* and they knocked $5 off my bill for a year and gave me Showtime 6 months for free.

jesserulz233 said:
I just hope they release this very soon.

Do you prefer having a buggy software on time or a working software a little later?

My understanding is that DirecTV is commited to delivering the best possible experience to their custommers. The reasons for delaying the download of the D10 lie in this policy.

Anyone know if I'll be able to get this active weather once it's activated on my Sony SAT-HD200 box?

Yes, but instead of waiting around longer than we have to, DirecTV should hire another programmer dude to speed things up ;).

Maybe they are working it out where this channel will work with all receivers..... That would make more sense then making folks buy new equipment.....

does anyone remember the wink situation? They made everyone who wanted Wink to go buy new boxes. It wouldn't surpise me if their going to do it again. But who know's, that was different management and different ownership as well.

danielle_s said:
does anyone remember the wink situation? They made everyone who wanted Wink to go buy new boxes. It wouldn't surpise me if their going to do it again. But who know's, that was different management and different ownership as well.

I sure do remember it. I bought $300.00 worth of equipment to get interactive in July to have it discontinued in December....

A CSR gave me the model number of receiver I needed (RCA 486). I found out later I could have gotten a much cheaper receiver and still go the interactive, although I did enjoy the RF remotes

Right now Active will only be available on D10's and newer boxes. I am not sure about the H10 (the high def D10 basically) but no other older boxes will be compatable, ever.

Relax guys... The press release didn't say which February did it? Might be 2006....

I'm JUST KIDDING :D

tomnc said:
I have a DirecTV tivo unit. I guess it won't work there either?

The D10 is not a Tivo box. Only the D10 will work with Active. No other existing receivers will work with Active either now or in the future. There is no way to add the functionality to any existing boxes, including the Tivos, series 1 or 2.

I bought one of those D10's because I needed a new receiver and the D10 sucks.... I bought a new Hughes SD-HBH the other day and it works much better... I really don't understand the BS about the active channel.... I use my computer for checking out the weather info.... I'm sure I can live without that mess.... If anyone wants a D10 receiver, I'm willing to sell it very cheap.....

Friday, March 4, 2005

Programming Highlights

BREAKING NEWS
New DIRECTV Features Coming Out This Month
DIRECTV Active will provide DIRECTV customers with a variety of interactive services, including daily and extended weather forecasts, financial market summaries, daily horoscopes, lottery results, pay per view and broadcast TV recommendations, and special DIRECTV promotions. DIRECTV Active video and audio components provide additional information from DIRECTV.

In the future, DIRECTV Active will allow customers to connect directly to games, music and other advanced entertainment and information options.

Main Screen
The main screen of DIRECTV Active combines video/graphic elements, stereo audio channels and an easy-to-use navigation menu with a dynamic information bar display that cycles current local weather and financial market summary information. In addition, a video loop offers customer care, pay per view and DIRECTV promotional event information.

Weather
Provides current and five-day local weather forecasts for thousands of U.S. cities, as well as regional weather maps updated four times daily. To provide for maximum customization, customers can add up to five additional favorite U.S. cities from a list of more than 2,000 cities, national parks or airports to receive current and five-day forecasts.

Mix Channels
DIRECTV Mix Channels offer enhanced features that enable customers to view up to six live channels from different networks, all on one screen.

Customers with interactive-enabled DIRECTV Receivers can listen to and direct tune each channel by pressing the 'SELECT' key on their remote control. The first three DIRECTV Mix Channels available are: Sports Mix, News Mix and Kids Mix.

What's Hot
Gives customers up-to-date information on the week's best movies, series and special programming offered by DIRECTV.

Horoscope
Allows customers to check their daily horoscope by clicking on their individual star sign. Horoscope forecasts are changed daily and include information on celebrity birthdays.

Lottery
Offers up-to-the-minute results from the 38 state lotteries in the United States. Customers can apply their home state as the default state to track continual daily lottery results. Current jackpot amounts will also be listed.

Help Menu
Customers can access the DIRECTV Active Help Menu from each screen simply by pushing the "Info" key on the remote, or as an option on the Main Screen navigation menu. Assistance is provided via a brief contextual reference and basic navigation instructions tied to the user's current application. The DIRECTV

Active Help Menu provides DIRECTV with an automated way to provide basic assistance without a subscriber having to contact customer service by phone

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)