Actual HD Resolution

You can, but when the question is about PQ, and the quality is very good, it really is a moot question, isn't it? Do many think the PQ with Dish is an issue anymore? As I said, for me, programming is the most important factor in choosing a provider. That doesn't mean that PQ doesn't matter, just that it isn't my first consideration. What's wrong with me expressing that opinion? Others answered the question about the resolution quite well, I was simply adding what I feel is an important consideration. Sorry if that offended you.
Not offended at all. Maybe it is mostly off topic.

Yes, it's still true. I wouldn't expect it to ever improve or go back to "full" HD resolution either. In combination with MPEG4, reducing the resolution like this is a necessary evil to be able to deliver as much HD programming as Dish does.

Problem comes in when people know there's a technical difference and convince themselves that they can see (or hear or feel) a difference in something. I'm referring to things beyond Dish's "HD Lite" as well !

Both of these providers are MPEG 4 so that is a moot point. HD Lite is a bit of a misnomer as if you compare any provider (sat or cable, MPEG 2 or 4) to the standards from dnld files or Blue Ray all will not be come close. The fact that E sends down 1440 X 1080i it really doesn't make that much difference as your TV translates it up to 1920 X 1080i anyway using it's internal scaling system. If that is a cheap one it will not do as good of a job as those with a good system. As far as the bit rate both companies use the same encoders for the VBR (variable bit rates) sent to the uplink. The amount that they put into the VBR is more likely something that will show and if they tweak the parameters of chroma & luma it could make it look more brilliant or could actually make it garish or lose good blacks. I'm not too fond of the engs doing that as it's messing w/ the digital eye pattern (nothing to do w/what is in your head but can be seen by it).

I've recently captured various programs from Dish Network with a R5000hd add-on and from a friend's Comcast Motorola box via the firewire method described here.

I don't see too much of a difference between the two providers when it comes to the 720p stuff (ex FOXnews, A&E). But the video can vary a lot between channels broadcasting in 1080. I can finally see the pixelation, macroblocking in the Comcast video that a lot of subscribers are complaining about - not too bad in static scenes, very noticeable in fast moving scenes (as bad as my local NBC/CBS OTA stations.)

But then Dish looks like it adds this very thin layer of vaseline with their 1440x1080 HD-lite:

http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/148173
http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/148170

I'm curious to see how Directv stacks up PQ-wise as I would like to switch to a provider carrying AMC once my free HBO sub expires from Dish.
Since the 2 pictures are of totally different material it is not a real comparison. As one of them was shot completely differently than the other. To do comparisons it has to be the same shot from the different providers. ALSO NEVER use a picture that has some type of CGI like a logo or rating suppered over it. As the supper will add a layer that could be a bit of an issue.

The fact that E sends down 1440 X 1080i it really doesn't make that much difference as your TV translates it up to 1920 X 1080i anyway using it's internal scaling system. If that is a cheap one it will not do as good of a job as those with a good system.
Nope, it is up-scaled by the receiver. Your TV never sees 1440 resolution.

Not offended at all. Maybe it is mostly off topic.

I don't think my post was off topic. The op asked about pq. I responded that I thought Directv was slightly better, but that there are bigger issues, the most important one to me being programming. It may have been outside the scope of his question, but how was it off topic to consider ancillary issues?

Since the 2 pictures are of totally different material it is not a real comparison. As one of them was shot completely differently than the other. To do comparisons it has to be the same shot from the different providers. ALSO NEVER use a picture that has some type of CGI like a logo or rating suppered over it. As the supper will add a layer that could be a bit of an issue.

Did you realize each link contained two images that toggled on a mouse-over? How can it get any better than that unless you start breaking into the data bits of each stream. The eye tells all in this case. They both look like crap compared to what could be, and what was once available.

What's bad is that I, with my huge suppy of disposable cash, cannot buy great HD quality progamming feeds. I'm now watching a 480i 16x9 Lions pregame from WXYZ that many in the masses would think was HD. Sad to think about.

I've recently captured various programs from Dish Network with a R5000hd add-on and from a friend's Comcast Motorola box via the firewire method described here.

I don't see too much of a difference between the two providers when it comes to the 720p stuff (ex FOXnews, A&E). But the video can vary a lot between channels broadcasting in 1080. I can finally see the pixelation, macroblocking in the Comcast video that a lot of subscribers are complaining about - not too bad in static scenes, very noticeable in fast moving scenes (as bad as my local NBC/CBS OTA stations.)

But then Dish looks like it adds this very thin layer of vaseline with their 1440x1080 HD-lite:

http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/148173
http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/148170

I'm curious to see how Directv stacks up PQ-wise as I would like to switch to a provider carrying AMC once my free HBO sub expires from Dish.
I wonder how much of the PQ difference is introduced with the difference in the capturing/conversion methods: MPEG2 (what bitrate?), and H264 (what bitrate?).

Did you realize each link contained two images that toggled on a mouse-over? How can it get any better than that unless you start breaking into the data bits of each stream. The eye tells all in this case. They both look like crap compared to what could be, and what was once available.

What's bad is that I, with my huge suppy of disposable cash, cannot buy great HD quality progamming feeds. I'm now watching a 480i 16x9 Lions pregame from WXYZ that many in the masses would think was HD. Sad to think about.

OK I have script block set so I saw nothing when mouse rolled over it. Now I can do it by temp disable of script block. I can see a small difference tween the 2. You are one of the few that has a good image off cable. In this area I can barely stand to watch friends "HD" cable nasty looking stuff.

The latest generation of STB's--the "K", 922, and Hopper--all produce a noticeably superior PQ. The HD is noticeably sharper and appearance.

The comcrap images are sharper indeed, however they are bitrate starved which defeats the purpose of having the sharper image.

I'm still waiting for Hopper OTA integration because to me it is very obvious the OTA signal is superior to Dish locals.

I recently did an in home trial of our local cable company compare to Dish. What I found was the picture from the cable company was sharper, but also had more compression artifacts. So my hunch is that this local company does not reduce resolution, but still only allows about the same bandwidth as Dish does which gives sharper stills but worse motion.

Oh the early days of HD with fewer channels and great PQ.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)