Actual satellite location?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

silverjim

Original poster
Jun 1, 2007
Hi. We're full-time RVers, and I have our DISH on a platform. Sometimes we find ourselves in a campground that has trees or other obstructions to the south. I would like to construct a simple device to enable me to 'shoot' the location of the actual satellite itself to check for blockages in the signal path. As most of you know, the apparent elevation of the DISH itself is NOT where the satellite is.

I have in mind something like a sextant. I guess I could marry a cheap telescope with a protractor? Perhaps one of you guys has a good solution for me. We do move a lot, so this device could come in pretty handy.

Thanks.

-silverjim-

Thanks...

Thanks for the reply, navychop. That's almost, but not quite, what I'm looking for. I'm thinking of a handheld gadget, so I don't have to pack the DISH around with me when I'm walking around looking for a good place to set the platform. Besides, $160 is a tad too spendy for us poorer folks with modest fixed incomes.

-

Thanks for the reply, navychop. That's almost, but not quite, what I'm looking for. I'm thinking of a handheld gadget, so I don't have to pack the DISH around with me when I'm walking around looking for a good place to set the platform. Besides, $160 is a tad too spendy for us poorer folks with modest fixed incomes.

-

It is handheld. I've never attached it to my dish, that's just an option. I just hold it and use it to find a hole thru the trees. It's sturdy and works very well.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)