Actually moving, not 'moving' / no phone

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

sven_kirk

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jan 19, 2006
Ok. I am about to move soon up the street, and I want to keep my existing setup of 3 DirecTivos (Sumsung 8040s). And It will probably not going to ever have a landline in the new house.
I don't want 'free' HBO/channels/equipment. I don't want a two year contract.
I especially don't want the installer to blacklist my systems/cards on a shoddy install (which happened 2.5 hours on my very first sign-up five years ago).
If it means paying them, fine. I'll do that. I stopped 2 installers before, and they just gave me the movers connection info.

Thanks in advance.

I dont get the issue here.....what Dish do you curently have? slimline? 18"?

I have no landline in the house and Directv did the install and havent had any issues with them.

Iceberg, I have a 18" dish (currently and at the new place<new place is wired for comcast>). The reason I was worried about the phone line, is that I don't want the installer getting screwed out of his work. I remember reading in the past that it was a requirement.

Jimbo, Way back when I first got DTV, I got two standard receivers. About 3 hours after the installation, they zapped my cards. About an hour on the phone, they found the mistake. Turns out somebody activated it as a DirectTivo install and it zapped the cards due to the mismatch. That PISSED the wife off. DTV gave us 3 DirecTivos and a very nice credit to make us happy.

jdspencer, I would try DIY, but I only know enough to get into trouble.

Iceberg, I have a 18" dish (currently and at the new place<new place is wired for comcast>). The reason I was worried about the phone line, is that I don't want the installer getting screwed out of his work. I remember reading in the past that it was a requirement.

Jimbo, Way back when I first got DTV, I got two standard receivers. About 3 hours after the installation, they zapped my cards. About an hour on the phone, they found the mistake. Turns out somebody activated it as a DirectTivo install and it zapped the cards due to the mismatch. That PISSED the wife off. DTV gave us 3 DirecTivos and a very nice credit to make us happy.

jdspencer, I would try DIY, but I only know enough to get into trouble.

If they cable infrastructure is at the new house, aiming a satellite is easy. The only talents you need are the abilities to read a level and compass.

They did not give me a two year commitment when I moved with "mover's connection.". I think the commitment only occurs when you add new receivers at the time of the install. My commitment was over six months after I moved. Call D* and see.

As far as the phone goes, the installer can always run a long extension cord initially and you can remove it when he leaves.

cditty
When I got D* a couple months ago they just noted the account as "no landline"...thats all the tech did with Directv

I got the move and installation done.
No contract extension was added on, not that I have any plans on leaving them. I just rather know I can stop pending some unforeseen line of sight issue.

Installer did a very good job. Very professional. And went along a whole lot better than the original install at the old place.

I only feel slightly horrible due the installation was on Labor Day. They said there was an available slot for that day, so my wife took it.
I gave him a couple of bucks and some burgers to go because of the holiday.

Status
Please reply by conversation.