actuator length-more azimuth?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

truckracer

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 17, 2004
Charleston wv
My polar mount for my 7.5' sami mesh now has an 18 inch superjack HQ actuator.
In order to see from amc 8 to sbs 6 i have to over-run the arm just a little.

My polar mount has extra holes to change the geometry of the linear west mounting of the actuator. I was wondering if I used a 36" inch actuator would i be able to see the whole arc? I know that a polar mount is not a horizon to horizon mount but do any of you guys think i could get a little more azimuth out of my dish with "dumping" it on the east end of the arc?

18" actuator

truckracer said:
My polar mount for my 7.5' sami mesh now has an 18 inch superjack HQ actuator.
In order to see from amc 8 to sbs 6 i have to over-run the arm just a little.

My polar mount has extra holes to change the geometry of the linear west mounting of the actuator. I was wondering if I used a 36" inch actuator would i be able to see the whole arc? I know that a polar mount is not a horizon to horizon mount but do any of you guys think i could get a little more azimuth out of my dish with "dumping" it on the east end of the arc?

Hey Truck.

I also have an 18" noname actuator on my 8 ft Winegard. I bought a replacement 24" Superjack since the "breaking" seemed to be going bad on my old one.

I think 36" could be overkill on a 7.5 ft dish, but the extra length does increase the ability to track more of the arc. I went to the 24" mainly for the heavier tube since we get pretty high winds here. I do not think there is too much west of W7 though. I also have the extra holes in my mount and have moved the actuator position to get firther east. Unfortunately, in Reno, I cannot see anything east of W3 (mountains and a neighbor's house)

Now the noname one is working fine again for some unknown reason and I will put the Superjack on as it warms up! Too lazy in the winter to work on it unless the old one actually goes down. I will definately take the No Name one apart after it dies to see what it is made like (crap I know, but it still is working after 10 yrs!) This was my only actuator replacement during the past 25+ yrs of BUD ownership! My no name one is a UGO...Von Weiss is a Rolls...Superjack is probably a Chevy (in Quality)
Jeff

For those who say the Superjack is junk...maybe, but that 10 yr old no name one sure has been good to me over the years. I picked up the 24" Superjack for under $100 new!
Jeff

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)