Actuator not working and can't remove it.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

rangergord

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jun 3, 2013
Canada
Just got my V-box connected to my cable and tried to move the actuator. It jumped a bit when I tried the E-W buttons but did not move. It looks like I need to replace or overhaul the actuator. I have an identical actuator from a second dish I have but this one won't come off the mounting studs. Seized. Rust. I have it sprayed with fluid film rust inhibitor and I have tried prying, hammering and now am considering cutting. Don't want to damage anything though. Any tips? Wondering about a cutting torch. I don't have one. The pic shows the mounting studs that are corroded to the bearings on the actuator. There are two of these of course.

Attachments

• 041.jpg
    041.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 230
Are you getting the error 2 message from the Vbox when you try to move it? And if not, does that count on the Vbox change at all when it jumps?

Just got my V-box connected to my cable and tried to move the actuator. It jumped a bit when I tried the E-W buttons but did not move. It looks like I need to replace or overhaul the actuator. I have an identical actuator from a second dish I have but this one won't come off the mounting studs. Seized. Rust. I have it sprayed with fluid film rust inhibitor and I have tried prying, hammering and now am considering cutting. Don't want to damage anything though. Any tips? Wondering about a cutting torch. I don't have one. The pic shows the mounting studs that are corroded to the bearings on the actuator. There are two of these of course.

I had a similar experience with my V-Box where it would only move in one direction with error 2 message if i tried to go the opposite direction. When I tested the same actuator with the G-Box, the G-Box moved the actuator fine without errors. After all said and done it was confirmed that the V-Box was defective and the seller replaced it with a good working unit.

Last edited:
Are you getting the error 2 message from the Vbox when you try to move it? And if not, does that count on the Vbox change at all when it jumps?

Yes I am getting the er 2 message when I try to move it. The count does not change. There is no visible movement of the actuator in and out. The V-box 7 is brand new. Just used for the first time today.

I had a similar experience with my V-Box where it would only move in one direction with error 2 message if i tried to go the opposite direction. When I tested the same actuator with the G-Box, the G-Box moved the actuator fine without errors. After all said and done it was confirmed that the V-Box was defective and the seller replaced it with a good working unit.

This is a new V-box 7 with a heavy duty power transformer. I have another actuator that I overhauled earlier that I could test out on the V-box just to ensure that it does work I guess. I just need to be able to get the old actuator off the dish so I can overhaul it or replace it with the other one.

Hook a car battery up to the motor directly, and see if it then moves. If it then still won't move, you have also discovered why it won't count...

I have never had one so completely rusted and seized, that I couldn't un-seize it with a good soaking of white VINEGAR as a last resort. It might take a couple days of doing it, but if that doesn't work, I don't know what else would...

Oh yeah, after you are done getting it loose, neutralize it with baking soda and water.

Last edited:
Those are 1/2 x 13 bolts and you can wring them off if you got enough arm and a couple of 15" pull handles. Have someone hold the bottom one with the wrench turned against the mount then turn the nut on top until it breaks.

Do yourself a favor and replace them with stainless steel.

Hook a car battery up to the motor directly, and see if it then moves. If it then still won't move, you have also discovered why it won't count...

I have never had one so completely rusted and seized, that I couldn't un-seize it with a good soaking of white VINEGAR as a last resort. It might take a couple days of doing it, but if that doesn't work, I don't know what else would...

Oh yeah, after you are done getting it loose, neutralize it with baking soda and water.

So wash down the studs with vinegar? Soak them in the middle of the air? I have rust removers. Yes vinegar, CLR, hydrochloric acid etc. Just not sure how to practically use them I guess.

Those are 1/2 x 13 bolts and you can wring them off if you got enough arm and a couple of 15" pull handles. Have someone hold the bottom one with the wrench turned against the mount then turn the nut on top until it breaks.

Do yourself a favor and replace them with stainless steel.

Hmm...I have a 24" breaker bar and some heavy duty sockets...

So wash down the studs with vinegar? Soak them in the middle of the air? I have rust removers. Yes vinegar, CLR, hydrochloric acid etc. Just not sure how to practically use them I guess.

Soak them in the middle of the air, get a cloth rag and soak it real well, and squish it onto the bolted assembly. Keep it wet, and it'll eat the rust and loosen up. Do NOT spill any vinegar on any aluminum! It'll eat it FAST like acid, or like an explosion (vinegar is and acid, but reacts violently with aluminum). Vinegar of this sort is available cheap at the grocery store

Oh, and don't play with it as that will just make it work slower. Just keep it wet, and it'll do all the work.

Longer wrenches,or some wrench helper,a piece of pipe slipped over the handle,or if you have an angle grinder,grind off the bolt head or split the nut.

So finally got the actuator off today. Spent a couple days soaking it in vinegar and I think it may have helped some. The bolts just spun inside the actuator mount bearings so the wrenches were of no help. Had a brother in law come over with a bearing puller. That loosened one bolt off just a bit and then a hammer punched it out. The second stud was released from tension at that point and the hammer punched it out as well. Previously hammering was useless. I am going to test out my other spare actuator and install it right now. The broken one I will go over at another time.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)