Actuator Problem

Houston Rockets

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 6, 2021
Dallas Texas
I think my actuator motor has died, what happen I was I extended the arm out, and when I when to move it back I got an actuator error on my screen, I checked the reset
button on my receiver and it was still in.. I went out to the actuator and checked to see if I had pushed in the button on , it wasn't so while out there I try using my remote
to go east or west, I could hear the motor trying to move it I even tried helping it did no good.. It is a Venture Actuator 36" my question is how can I check the motor I have never pulled actuator motor off before..

I think my actuator motor has died, what happen I was I extended the arm out, and when I when to move it back I got an actuator error on my screen, I checked the reset
button on my receiver and it was still in.. I went out to the actuator and checked to see if I had pushed in the button on , it wasn't so while out there I try using my remote
to go east or west, I could hear the motor trying to move it I even tried helping it did no good.. It is a Venture Actuator 36" my question is how can I check the motor I have never pulled actuator motor off before..
A car battery can test the motor. You can reverse the leads to test both directions. It'll run slower of course, but it will work.

I think my actuator motor has died, what happen I was I extended the arm out,
I hope not so far that you were in the flopping-danger zone?

I went out to the actuator and checked to see if I had pushed in the button on ,
Maybe this is my lack of experience with actuators, but what button do you mean? I don't remember having seen actuators with buttons?

Greetz,
A33

Well I think I might have spoken to soon.. it worked most of today I moved it from 139 to 58 with no problem, and then all of sudden while it was
turning I get an actuator error on my screen... gee it looks like it does it when it gets hot.... so back to the drawing board..

• Sad
Reactions: FTA4PA
Could be worn motor brushes. Or worse. A flaky reduction gear.
2-12V automotive side marker bulbs in series on the motor terminals would be an easy way to see if the motor draws steady current. But you said you swapped receivers.
You don't really have to reprogram the sats. if you decouple the motor from the actuator tube and spin the tube coupling to peak what sat it's supposed to be on. Just let the motor turn where its supposed to be then spin the actuator shaft to find the sat. Bolt it back up.

Reactions: dfecarter
Ok I finally figured out my problem, to make a long story short, a C band Satellite dealer in Florida had given me a bunch of Uniden Supra C Band
IRD, I was using one of them he gave me to move my dish, it lasted about 5 year until last week, I used another one of the same IRD Surpra it lasted
about 1 day.. So today I went through everyone of those receivers he gave me unit I got down to the last one, the worst looking of all of them, and that did the trick.. The moral of the story if someone gave bunch of anything more than likely they are just giving you their JUNK...

Thanks again

Reactions: FTA4PA
Update I found a brand new Uniden Supra Receiver still in the box manual and 2 UHF remotes.. I paid 50 bucks for it, when I open the box the unit still have an old VC Plus 2 decipher in it.. of course that was the first thing I remove from the receiver I connected and programmed all the satellites it works fine except for one problem the unit has been sitting for over 20 years in the box, and the motherboard battery was dead so when you save a bird and unplug it will lose it.. So I ordered the motherboard battery.. But what a great fine...

Attachments

• Uniden copy.jpg
    Uniden copy.jpg
    109.4 KB · Views: 58