actuator wiring question

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

eewizard

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Apr 24, 2005
Beaumont, TX
just got in my new actuator and since i'm new to all this i was wondering if someone might be able to help me with a wiring question. there was no actuator on the dish already when i got it home (had already been removed) so the wires were already disconnected. the actuator is a superjack II+ (harl-3018+) and the connectors in the diagram show

"motor" (2 screws)
"sensor" (2 screws 1 "white" and 1 "gray" wire)

it looks to me like i only have a total of 4 wire connections needed to get it to work right...

that would be 2 wires for the motor (labled on back of receiver) and hook the other 2 "sensor" connections to the "sensor" connections on the back of the receiver. does this sound correct?

also...the back of the receiver has 5 connections total...1st 2 screws are for motor (think i got that correct) but there is an "extra" connection screw directly between where it says motor and sensor which is labled "red" (not really sure if anything needs to be hooked up there)...and then under sensor it says "black" and "shield". is "black" and "shield" where i would need to connect the sensor connections from the actuator?

i just do not want to connect anything incorrectly and mess up the new motor and the directions that come with with motor are very basic and pretty much are limited to the wiring diagram.

sorry if i sound pretty stupid here....if i do it is cause i am pretty stupid when it comes to wiring diagrams....and all this really is pretty new to me...

thanks...Darrell

Darrell,

I am a c-band user and will try to help you. Most sensors only use 2 wires but some do use 3. Most likely your only using two. One of the wires will goto the ground connector on the back of your reciever and one to the pulse. The two wires that feed the motor should goto an area thats specific on the back of your reciever. You can hook the wires backwards and it won't hurt anything but when your trying to make your dish go east it will go west instead if your wires are backwards. The sensor wires once connected will then display the indictor on your screen that the dish is in motion. If it responds with actuator error and the dish does move slightly then your sensor wire are not yet connected right. Ground and Pulse are how mine connect on my GI reciever but my chaparral uses Pulse/pulse versus pulse/ground. I have hooked them up wrong many a time and never hurt the hardware until I crossed the motor wires one day and that will hurt things.

He also need to connect all the wires at the actuator side. The two heavy red/black wires are for east and west, the other three wires, brown, yellow and blue, plus a bar wire. I had see Tracker use all wire in the back of the receiver. but can't remember which model since this is all about 8 or 9 years ago.I was sell and install Toshiba products at that time, because I feel this brand is one of the most reliable receiver that gave me very very few service call after install, and I was used U.S. Electronics actualtor arm, the main reason is that I can get it locally from O'rourkie at Carrollton.

wires?

sksatellite, what are the yellow, brown and blue for? What is the function of the different wires? know the bare wire is ground. I have a Von
Weise actuator and a Chaparral M200C. Its over 10 yrs old but was not used and it was given to me. Problem is I have no paper work on how to hook up this system. It's a C/KU can you help please. Thank you
Bschmitt

You Don`t say what receiver you have, Different brands use different sensors. To be safe, connect as you describe in your post. Do not use the red connection at the sensor terminals on the back of the receiver.
If you find East and West are reversed, interchange the larger Red and black wires, at the receiver or at the actuator. If you get actuator error or no signal, on screen the sensor hook up isn`t right.
Try both East and West directions before you condemn the sensor. That jack left the factory screwed in up against the west limit switch, if the polarity hook up on the motor is wrong for E and W. you can get a no signal or actuator error until you interchange the motor wires.
Dick

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)