Actvating HD receivers without extending contract?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

aznxrice

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 16, 2004
If I purchase my own HD receivers, can I activate them without extending my contract? I need to get 2 more HD receivers.

No.

You can get them from a store like Best Buy or COSTCO but you won't own them, they'll still be leased units. Activating them will extend your contract.

You should be able to buy the HR21 PRO for $400-500 and they are owned receivers. They should not require a new contract as owned receivers. Do a google search for HR21 PRO to find the best prices. Call Directv and get to the access card department to confirm the HR21 does not cause a new contract.

What about if I just wanted to get a cheaper HD receiver like the H20?

You would have to find an H20 that was owned not leased. Leasing started March 1 2006. From November 2005 to Feb.28 2006 the H20-600 was only MPEG4 receiver available. Other than those owned HD receivers are replacements for owned product replaced under the Protection Plan. GOOD LUCK.

It'd cost you more to buy owned HR's than to just pay the early termination fee after the first month of service. Especially if you buy more than one.

Trying to find a less expensive older receiver that was really owned? Like a needle in a haystack. So many people think they own it after paying the initial purchase cost that many of the ones for sale as 'owned' are lease boxes and directv wont activate someone elses lease box on your account. You can call directv with the receiverID and they'll tell you if its owned or leased, but it could get onerous once you go through 15-20+ receivers with them all being leased.

I think this will prove to be a problem for directv over the long haul. I sure wont be upgrading or adding any new receivers after my contract is up.

When did that change? Last time I checked activating owned receivers didnt trigger a new contract?

If I purchase my own HD receivers, can I activate them without extending my contract?

no such thing. youre automatically re-newing your contract when you order a new receiver.

when i had D-11s. i wanted HDs so i put in receivers and they auto re-newed my contract. when i got the bill after that, i called them, i said to the CSRs... you didnt mention a renewal... they said, we did. i said no you didnt. then they gave me Starz for free for 3 months. i said no.. i dont want the EXTENDED contract. they took it off.

months later i had channel not purchase

i called in and told them to re-authorize it. they couldnt. they forced me to get a new programming. since there was new channel line up and couldnt find my old programming. so THERE i was extended a new contract. they kept telling me that they couldnt find my old programming i just lost 20 mins ago now to extend my contract for a new programming.

BS!!!

Activating HD receivers without extending contract?

It'd cost you more to buy owned HR's than to just pay the early termination fee after the first month of service. Especially if you buy more than one.

Trying to find a less expensive older receiver that was really owned? Like a needle in a haystack. So many people think they own it after paying the initial purchase cost that many of the ones for sale as 'owned' are lease boxes and directv wont activate someone elses lease box on your account. You can call directv with the receiverID and they'll tell you if its owned or leased, but it could get onerous once you go through 15-20+ receivers with them all being leased.

I think this will prove to be a problem for directv over the long haul. I sure wont be upgrading or adding any new receivers after my contract is up.

They're not that rare, I have two of them sitting in a closet right now!

I have three. But none are for sale!

Surely not rare, but go find one on ebay or CL thats actually owned.

Ebay lists 151 for sale. Some are HR10-250's and those are likely owned. The rest 'mint condition with original box!!!' are probably leases because the ads I looked at didnt mention anything about "These are OWNED, not leased!".

My local town CL lists 8 for sale. Bet none of them are owned.

Those are going to be two people with bad surprises. The seller who gets a $400 equipment non-return fee sucked out of his bank account and the buyer who gets asked by directv to send back their property.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts