Add a 3rd receiver? What to do?

watipi45

Original poster
Feb 1, 2010
rural midwest
I want to add a 3rd receiver to my package. I would like to install and run the cable myself after the last few encounters with the installer. Will dishnetwork allow you to do this or does someone have to come out? Just want to save a few bucks and install it the way I would like it. I currently have 622 and a 322C and want to add a 722.
Thanks

I've had success with the ceo email address getting two 612's shipped rather than installed for $25/ea. I did claim that I knew what I was doing, and also that an installer would have to be briefed first to understand my custom setup.

I've had success with the ceo email address getting two 612's shipped rather than installed for $25/ea. I did claim that I knew what I was doing, and also that an installer would have to be briefed first to understand my custom setup.

Every job is a custom install. Some are a little more elaborate than others, but all are "custom".

I myself enjoy working WITH a customer who appreciates what it is that Dish Network offers in the sense of technology. Hell, I have no problem showing people what im doing every step of the way.

I know not all techs are this way, but it is possible to get a tech that is pretty knowledgeable in a "elaborate" install.

OP, when the tech gets to your house, work WITH him and be nice about it, not demanding. It goes a long way. Also, just so there are no surprises when the tech gets there, another line from the dish will be required to run your third receiver, unless you have a switch. BTW, I would also recommend switching that 322 to a 222 so you can have 1 dish.

If you are in the northern indiana area, PM me. I might be able to help you out.

We would require it be installed since it would be an additional receiver on the account. :(

I do not believe that is true, Matt. I purchased all of my HD receivers off eBay, along with a 1000.1 dish, and self installed the dish using the old receivers.

When that was completed, and verified to be working, it was time to upgrade to the new receivers. I simply called the DN CSR number, told them I had purchased and self-installed, and they activated the new receiver replacements. No questions asked. I did, however, have to explain I had replaced the Dish 500 with the Dish 1000.1, and now saw 110, 119, 129, and 118.5. [My Satellite Buddy meter made the installation a breeze and I didn't have to deal with the sub-contractors who are so pervasive in the Chicago area.]

When I added the 3rd receiver, I simply called and added the receiver. Again, purchased via eBay. Brand new, in the original box.

Due to damage done on a 110 year old house, when a an AT&T installer drilled through restored, irreplaceable, antique brick; along with the fact that I have completely pre-wired with double home runs of RG6 and RG11 to every room in the house; double home runs of cat 6 from every room in the house to the basement; and double home runs of cat3, for telecom, to every room throughout the building; I will NEVER allow another installer to do anything more than run an underground utility TO the building, terminate and test. I do all of my own connections inside.

In the case of our Comcast internet / phone service installation, when we threw out AT&T DSL because they could not keep the signal flowing through the 100 year old, rubber and paper jacketed cable that runs from our CO, I PRE-DRILLED the hole and told them they had to follow a specific route to the house and could not use any other entrance to the building except the hole which was pre-drilled. They balked at first, but when I called Comcast Corporate Resolutions and told them they could either cancel the order or follow the installation instructions I gave the installers, the job got done - the way I wanted it done - not the way a new installer wanted to do it.

When the Comcast installers wanted to tie the phone lines into the phone switch, and tie the router into the network, I told them to test to their equipment and leave. They tested the phone lines and the data circuit, I signed the ticket, and they left.

Because of both significant damage and theft we have experienced in the past, I no longer allow ANY installer into our home beyond the basement - and that is only via the outside entrance - constantly supervised.

Every job is a custom install. Some are a little more elaborate than others, but all are "custom".
OK, I'll try again. My own installation was (so far as I know) unique. I cannibalized a DPP twin for it's DPP32 switch, and cascaded that with my DP34. How many techs do you know who could even understand what I just said? They get a little knowledgeable, and they find a more lucrative profession than Dish installer. That's my experience in this area; the pay is really, and I mean really, lousy. Given that severe limitation, I've seen one (out of 5) pretty competent techs. The rest were just awful and couldn't do anything right, such as showing up on the appointed day. One wasted my Friday workday and neve showed up. Then on Saturday he showed up unannounced and before I could get back home and tell him to stop, he severed my cable Internet connection taking down my 3 servers, all my PCs, and my only working telephone service. Oh, and of course with all the cabling I already fished through walls, raceways, etc, there is no way a virgin tech could figure out what was what without asking me. I can literally do the job faster myself than explain the job to anybody else. This is what I meant by "custom".

Last edited:
What Matt is saying is, when we setup in our system to add an additional leased receiver to an account. The only way for us to build the work order requires an Install. The only way our system will let ship a receiver is set up the work order for a replacement and only if we are replacing HD with HD and SD with SD. I hope that help to clear things up a little about what he meant.

You can always run the cable yourself, then when the installer gets there just have him hook up the box. If not trying the executive office to get a box without an installer is possible. Of course if you buy your own box you can do your own install then call to activate.

It makes much more sense for Dish to force an installer for most customers. If they just sent boxes out they may never get installed since most would probably procrastinate or get in over their heads and then Dish would be blamed and would have to send out someone anyways to undo the mess.

Just run the wire yourself if you like and the install will take about 15 minutes (they wait for the software update to happen before they leave, plus they have to go through the checklist).

OK, I'll try again. My own installation was (so far as I know) unique. I cannibalized a DPP twin for it's DPP32 switch, and cascaded that with my DP34. How many techs do you know who could even understand what I just said? They get a little knowledgeable, and they find a more lucrative profession than Dish installer. That's my experience in this area; the pay is really, and I mean really, lousy. Given that severe limitation, I've seen one (out of 5) pretty competent techs. The rest were just awful and couldn't do anything right, such as showing up on the appointed day. One wasted my Friday workday and neve showed up. Then on Saturday he showed up unannounced and before I could get back home and tell him to stop, he severed my cable Internet connection taking down my 3 servers, all my PCs, and my only working telephone service. Oh, and of course with all the cabling I already fished through walls, raceways, etc, there is no way a virgin tech could figure out what was what without asking me. I can literally do the job faster myself than explain the job to anybody else. This is what I meant by "custom".

Sounds like you had bad contractors. Not uncommon. Might I ask why you needed to butcher a switch? Sounds to me a bit excessive, and just outright ridiculous. Running cable and prepping a house is one thing (that installers love) ....trying to create your own switch...why?

Maybe I will just do that. Run the necessary cables and then have dish come out and activate the system. Just think that it is pointless when you could call and activate yourself and avoid any installation charges.

Might I ask why you needed to butcher a switch? Sounds to me a bit excessive, and just outright ridiculous.
Certainly. I was saving money. This was before the DPP33 was released, so I was staring at the cost of a DPP44 and said, "H### No" to that idea. I had a 311, a 501, and a 625, and I was about to buy a 722. So I was out of ports on my DP34 anyway. I could have purchased another DP34, but being an electronics hobbyist, I decided to take a chance on cannibalizing a DPP twin. I think it cost me < $20 shipped, and an hour of my time. Problem solved.

mike123abc said:
If Dish does the install they will handle switch upgrades as needed.

Pretty much. A $15 tech visit would cover the cost of a 44 sw and your system would be installed correctly.

If something screwy happens in your ghetto switches, bye bye rcvr and or LNB.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)