Add on lnbs for Primestar dish

Status
Please reply by conversation.

swampman

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 22, 2006
South Louisiana
A while back I saw pics someone posted, illustrating how they added what appeared to be a circular lnb(looked like a Directv lnb), mounted next to the old Primestar lnb. On the opposite side was what looked like a linear(maybe invacom) lnb. Has anyone ever tried this with a Primestar dish? And would focal distance need to be precise for the add-ons or just approximate? It would be interesting to see how they engineered the 2 side mounts. Thanks.

Yea, I sometimes give NetBuilder's site as a reference for folks looking to do that.
Very nice work.

Also, take a look through these threads (don't read, just look at the pix) for more encouragement:

Linuxman and dual Sky Mexico LNBs on 87 / 97
http://www.satelliteguys.us/free-air-fta-discussion/99108-87w-97w-primestar-84e-multi-lnbf.html

Linuxman and dual LNBs on 123 / 129
http://www.satelliteguys.us/free-air-fta-discussion/97742-123w-129w-1-meter-primestar.html

Yep I just starting reading 1 of those with Linuxman's postings. I also found the pics I thought I had lost, showing the dish type that I use. And although its hard to see the exact setup, looks like the lnb in the background is set higher than the P* lnb, it seems it is possible with the large Primestar. :) Thanks Anole

Attachments

• Marsha-Roof-East-Primestar%20LNBF%27s.JPG
    Marsha-Roof-East-Primestar%20LNBF%27s.JPG
    42.5 KB · Views: 232
  • Marsha-Roof-West-Primestar%20LNBF%27s.JPG
    Marsha-Roof-West-Primestar%20LNBF%27s.JPG
    21.8 KB · Views: 262
Swampman, those 2 pictures are from my Primestar dish. I have a Circular lnbf pointed at 119.0w (for NASA), the main P* lnb pointed at 123.0w (for RTN), and the Linear lnbf pointed at 129.0w (for White Springs).... The dish is skewed at 45 degrees and the P* is another 2 degrees for 47 degrees skew. You can see it and the other dish, a T90, in my Avatar. Here is another one:

Attachments

• Marsha-Roof-South-Primestar LNBF's.JPG
    Marsha-Roof-South-Primestar LNBF's.JPG
    17.6 KB · Views: 238
Swampman, those 2 pictures are from my Primestar dish. I have a Circular lnbf pointed at 119.0w (for NASA), the main P* lnb pointed at 123.0w (for RTN), and the Linear lnbf pointed at 129.0w (for White Springs).... The dish is skewed at 45 degrees and the P* is another 2 degrees for 47 degrees skew. You can see it and the other dish, a T90, in my Avatar. Here is another one:

Voomvoom, do you have a close-up photo of your T90, how you have your LNBF's set, how you have all the wiring from all of your LNBF's?

I am buying all the necessary parts to put up a T90 and am just looking for some ideas.

Thanks.

I have multiples on my 1m swampman, I made my brackets out of 3/4 steel flatbar. I found that the sweetspot is very touchy on the 1m dishes, and sometimes the arms get in the way, believe it or not.

It wasn't a WASTED exercise, but I didn't get the results I expected. An 84e P* I bet would go MUCH better for that type of thing.

If you want pics LMK. Heck if you wanna see them in person and are in the North Slidell area LMK. Ask Brother Tron, I love showing off my stuff! :D

Ask Brother Tron, I love showing off my stuff! :D

He DOES :) I've gotta get over there soon, he's made many changes since my last visit.

I have the 1M Channel Master dish (same as the 1M "round" Primestar), but only have one LNB on it (a stacked Superdish FSS LNB for G-10R)...

I have multiples on my 1m swampman, I made my brackets out of 3/4 steel flatbar. I found that the sweetspot is very touchy on the 1m dishes, and sometimes the arms get in the way, believe it or not.

Yeah I think thats what Linuxman's problem was when he tried. I'm wondering if it may be easier replacing the original P* lnb(sort fo bulky) with 2 newer types to save room.

It's kinda hard to justify spending too much time and expense on this project, seeing as it's to bring in only WSTV on 129. And after reading a few posts of people who are a bit underwhelmed. ;). But its something I may tinker with. Thanks.

OK thanks voom, and I'll send you a check for any copyright infringment on those pics. :D I remembered seeing them somewhere but wasnt sure where.
:confused: This is a Joke, right:confused:

And glen4cjndy, the 1st 4 are shots on the roof with the 4th shot maybe showing how the wires go into the attic. The next 4 are shots in the attic, the 1st 3 being 4x4 multi-switches and the last one being 8x1 (committed/uncommitted) diseqc switches going to 2 Coosat 5000 receivers using 1.1 diseqc protocal. I have No Wiring Diagrams...?

Attachments

• Marsha-Attic-3 @ Zinwell 4x4.JPG
    Marsha-Attic-3 @ Zinwell 4x4.JPG
    60.3 KB · Views: 191
  • Marsha-Attic-2 (almost 3) @ Zinwell 4x4.JPG
    Marsha-Attic-2 (almost 3) @ Zinwell 4x4.JPG
    74.9 KB · Views: 197
  • Marsha-Attic-last 3 of 7 @ Zinwell 4x4.JPG
    Marsha-Attic-last 3 of 7 @ Zinwell 4x4.JPG
    68.5 KB · Views: 216
  • Marsha-Roof-West-Gable Mount.JPG
    Marsha-Roof-West-Gable Mount.JPG
    57.5 KB · Views: 216
  • Marsha-Roof-West-T90 LNBF's.JPG
    Marsha-Roof-West-T90 LNBF's.JPG
    43.9 KB · Views: 223
  • Marsha-Roof-South-T90 LNBF's.JPG
    Marsha-Roof-South-T90 LNBF's.JPG
    47.7 KB · Views: 243
  • Marsha-Roof-East-T90 LNBF's.JPG
    Marsha-Roof-East-T90 LNBF's.JPG
    53.6 KB · Views: 220
  • Marsha-Attic-2 @ EMP-CENTAURI 8x1, with 1 @ Zinwell 4x4.JPG
    Marsha-Attic-2 @ EMP-CENTAURI 8x1, with 1 @ Zinwell 4x4.JPG
    57.1 KB · Views: 176
Great pix, Voom! - :up
Very nice setup.

I see 12 LNBs on that T-90.
Plus three on the Primestar...
No wonder you have switching to support 16 LNBs ! - :eek:

Looks like the Megasat LNBs that are reviewed and described in the FTA Equipment Review department.
Coolsat sells 'em under their name, too.
Wonder what you used for your dish, and how you like 'em.?
When you are buying that many, every dollar counts.

PS: a wiring diagram of that hookup wouldn't be difficult to make.
It's just a lot of step and repeat (or cut 'n paste to Windows users). ;)

The one upside down (from 2nd shot) is an M20R Wavefrontier Reversed Circular lnbf (110.0w), the rest are ASC322 Standard Linear lnbf's from DMSI. Since these shots were taken, I have purchased a dozen JSC322 lnbf's and have only tried one on the T90. The ASC's work fine, and the one JSC I've used worked with just a slight improvement on the Q numbers, not noticeable with the naked eye. The T90 has problems with Wind (the P* holds it's own), after a wind storm (seems like, but definately too often), I have to get on the roof and re-tune the T90, and that's getting old. I've decided to re-locate both dishes to the ground. I've already planted the post, now I just need to find a little lack of sense to get on the roof and start taking them down. Three things have to come together at the same time, 1) the Wind has to be calm, 2) I have to have the time (which I usually have), and 3) I have to be in the right frame of mind.... (which ain't as easy as it seems).

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts