adding 2nd TV to 622

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

ckpuma

Original poster
Jan 30, 2007
Sorry, I don't mean to ask stupid questions, but I tried and I tried to add a second Tv to my 622 and it doesn't happen. I ran the coax, got the CABLE channel on the second TV (100) (BTW the CABLE channel selection on my 1st Tv is 102???) and i could see the program guide, but no picture. The receiver is in dual mode it's on a ENABLE shared view. At some point I could see (on the 2nd TV) a message that it is ACQUIRING a satellite signal, but it wasn't going nowhere.
One more thing, on the OUTPUT menu I have 2 XX (red squares) under 2nd output.

I have a dual DISH 500 and get 100 strength on 110 and 119.

Help.

Have you tried setting it to another channel? Cable 73 works the best for me. Just remember that you'll have to go into the TVs menu and set it to cable and tune in to channel 73 or 100.

Thank you, I'll try that. My concern is, the way I read the instructions in the manual, both TVs must be on the same channel and the system is not allowing me to do that. It would disable the DONE button unless the channels are at least 2 channels appart.

Need more info. First glance suggests that your dish is not connected correctly. In single mode are you able to use PIP and SWAP between tuners with no problem? Also, it is curious that you have a 622 but only a dish 500. Typically one would need to receive the 129 and/or 61.5 orbital slots to get HD programming. That requires either two dishes or some flavor of a Dish 1000.

BTW, not kewl to start a duplicate thread, one is enough.

And lastly, on behalf of the fine folks here at Satellite guys,

:welcome

Thank you, and yes, I only have one dish for now, so the HD programming is still in the works for me. I just got the receiver a few days ago and am anxious to see what it is capable of.
Here's how I have the connections in my newly finished house. Again dual DISH 500 with 2 coax cables running into two separate rooms in the house. I only use one of the wall outlets to connect the 622, to connect it to my plasma and then I ran another coax to the TV2. What did I do wrong? Thank you for the enlightment. I'm a very new to this as you can see.

Thanks, I'll do that. But again, when I go to the POINT DISH/CHECK SWITCH, it tells me that the 2nd output is X X (red squares). Don't know what that means. Thanks for your help.

Thanks, I'll do that. But again, when I go to the POINT DISH/CHECK SWITCH, it tells me that the 2nd output is X X (red squares). Don't know what that means. Thanks for your help.

Well I believe we have found part of the issue. It sounds like you have used a standard Dishpro Twin LNB out at your dish and that being the case, both the the feeds from that LNB would need to be connected to the back of your 622 for Sat 1 and Sat 2. IF you have a DishProPlus Twin LNB then you could feed one cable from the LNB to the 622 and use a DishProPlus Seperator to feed the two tuners on the 622.

Regardless, in order for the 622 to operate properly, both feeds must be connected. The Dishpro Plus equipment allows you to connect both tuners with just one cable.

... and they are connected using the dish separator, that came with the 622. I DO NOT have DishPro Plus Twin LNB, though. Wondering if this is the issue.

Thank you, and yes, I only have one dish for now, so the HD programming is still in the works for me. I just got the receiver a few days ago and am anxious to see what it is capable of.
Here's how I have the connections in my newly finished house. Again dual DISH 500 with 2 coax cables running into two separate rooms in the house. I only use one of the wall outlets to connect the 622, to connect it to my plasma and then I ran another coax to the TV2. What did I do wrong? Thank you for the enlightment. I'm a very new to this as you can see.

No problem. First let me clarify one thing for you. There are duals and there are twins with regard to the LNBF on your dish. A "Dual" has one "eye" but is called a dual because it has two outputs. A "Twin" has two "eyes" and also two outputs. Seems backwards, and it is, but that is the teminology E* (Echostar) has given us and that is what we work with.

Now that we know what a "Twin" is, I will assume that is what is on you dish. However, to add confusion, a "Twin" comes in three flavors: Legacy, DishPro (DP), and DishProPlus (DPPlus). We can rule out the legacy because that is old and will never work with a 622 receiver. That leave DP Twin or DPPlus Twin. We need to determine if you have one or the other.

The back (side away from reflector) will say "DP" or "DP Plus". The physical difference is that a DP Twin has two outputs and a DPPlus Twin has a third port to input a third orbital slot. The technical difference is what is important here. That is, each output (thus each cable) from a DP Twin can support only one tuner, whereas each output from a DPPlus Twin can support two tuners, but only with the use of a "seperator" that came with your 622 to split the single cable into two for the two tuner inputs on your receiver. Whew!

In short a DP Twin would need BOTH cables to go to your 622 and a DPPlus Twin only needs one with the use of the seperator. So, which do you have and we can go from there.

P.S. Delete the other thread if noone has yet replied.

Threads should be merged.

"I DO NOT have DishPro Plus Twin LNB, though. Wondering if this is the issue."

You can't use a regular DP Twin with a separator. You need a DPP Twin.

... and they are connected using the dish separator, that came with the 622. I DO NOT have DishPro Plus Twin LNB, though. Wondering if this is the issue.
Assuming the coax from the dish to the room outlets are suitable, and since you are in a hurry to see what the ViP 622 can do, here's what I would do.

Get a piece of coax to go from the other room to your ViP 622.
Remove the DP Separator from the system.
Connect one outlet to Sat 1 Input.
Connect other outlet to Sat 2 Input.
Make sure receiver is set for Dual Mode.
Plug it all in and run a Check Switch = Menu, 6, 1, 1, Check Switch.

NOTE: If your 622 has not tried to take a software download yet, it may try to. If so, let it do the download.

Thank you so much for the very professional and quick replies. Seems like I have to get me a DishPlus Pro Twin switch since the one I have is palin DishPro twin. In the mean time, I'll follow the instructions from SmityWhity and explore the wonderful world of my new 622.

Seems like I have to get me a DishPlus Pro Twin switch since the one I have is palin DishPro twin.
Probably a typo, but an incorrect statement.

(1) You can replace your DP Twin LNBF with a $45.00 DPP Twin LNBF. This will allow you to run a single cable from the DPP Twin LNBF directly to a DP Separator which will provide two sat feeds to a dual tuner receiver.

The DPP Twin will allow you to add 1 more DBS satellite location such as 129 or 61.5 for High Definition programming, or 148 for west coast programming.
See http://www.dishstore.net/product_info.php?cPath=40&products_id=229

Or

(2) You can keep what you have, and buy a $180.00 DishPro Plus 44 Switch (DPP44). Connect 2 cables from your DP Twin to Port 1 and Port 2 of the DPP44. Then you can feed the ViP 622 with a single cable when using the DP Separator.

The DPP44 Switch will allow you to add 2 more satellite locations.
See http://www.dishstore.net/product_info.php?cPath=40&products_id=160

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts