adding 5.1 audio to 622 recommendations?

phillycreamboy

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Apr 9, 2006
Currently I have an LCD HDTV with the 622 receiver. I wanted to expand my setup to include a speaker system. What should I look for to add sound through the audio output on the back of the 622. What components do I need or could someone give me an example of what will work? Thanks

You need a surround sound system capable of at least Dolby Digital 5.1.

connect the optical output on the back of the 622 to the optical input on your Surround system with an optical cable.

Set up your audio receiver to accept dolby digital 5.1.

Set the 622 to output Dolby Digital/PCM.

Correct settings are necessary on both ends of the optical cable (see page 91 of the 622 manual).

Does HDMI carry Dolby 5.1?

This question got me to thinking about my current setup, and it might help with this posters question too. Does the HDMI cable carry the Dolby 5.1 signal? I'm asking this because my current setup has two optical cables already (1 from the DVD and 1 on from the back of the TV) and no more optical inputs on my amplifier. I don't have a HDTV dish receiver yet, but I was thinking that by hooking up the HDMI cable from the receiver to the TV that the surround sound from Dish would go into the TV on the HDMI, and out on the TV's optical.

phillycreamboy said:
Currently I have an LCD HDTV with the 622 receiver. I wanted to expand my setup to include a speaker system. What should I look for to add sound through the audio output on the back of the 622. What components do I need or could someone give me an example of what will work? Thanks
I have a Sony 40" LCD and I complemented that with a Sony "Dream" surround sound system. A lot of folks in these threads don't like the Dream system, primarily because the subwoofer is not powered, but it works well for me with my limited space and budget. There are 5 systems in the series up to $2,000. I have the lowest priced one that includes a DVD changer - I think I paid about $600 for it at BB.

You don't need any connections from the TV to the SS - just use the optical connection from the 622 directly into the Dream, set it on Input 2, select the SS that you like best (only one is true 5.1 SS, the rest are simulated) turn-down the sound on the TV and enjoy! I bought this system primarily for the SS, but the DVD video quality is great as well! Some folks are disappointed in the slow response of the changer (which I confirm), but that's only a minor annoyance to me. YMMV...

Last edited:
For audiophile speakers at very good prices, visit the factory outlet of a Canadian oufit called Axiom Audio:

http://www.axiomaudio.com/factoryoutlet.html

Browse their site, read reviews and shop around for alternatives. You may come to the same conclusion as did I, that Axiom Audio gear is great bang for the buck stuff. Free shipping to the US from Canada and a very liberal return policy. Whether your theater is in a tiny apartment bedroom or a big 1,000 square foot family room, they have speakers that will fit your needs. I have the M60 series.

For 12-gauge copper speaker wire, try your local Home Depot. Buy a big spool for half the price of Monster wire at Best Buy.

For optical and HDMI cabling, or 12-gauge copper wire, try a great place in Rancho Cucamonga, Kalifornia called Monoprice. They allow for customer pickup if you live nearby. Circuit City wants $119 for a Monster HDMI cable -- just say no!

http://www.monoprice.com/home/index.asp

For a nice receivers with high, clean amps to back up the wattage claims, try either the latest Harmon-Kardon or Denon units. The new models have HDMI output, and multiple coax and optical connections. Some even have built-in satellite radio now! If you shop you can find them heavily discounted (as much as 50%):

http://www.harmankardon.com/product_detail.aspx?cat=REC&prod=AVR 745&stype=S

http://www.usa.denon.com/ProductDetails/2243.asp

Build your theater a little at a time to spread out the cost. For example, start with the Denon and add two front speakers. Then add a subwoofer. Then add the rear speakers. Then add the center channel.

homergreg said:
This question got me to thinking about my current setup, and it might help with this posters question too. Does the HDMI cable carry the Dolby 5.1 signal? I'm asking this because my current setup has two optical cables already (1 from the DVD and 1 on from the back of the TV) and no more optical inputs on my amplifier. I don't have a HDTV dish receiver yet, but I was thinking that by hooking up the HDMI cable from the receiver to the TV that the surround sound from Dish would go into the TV on the HDMI, and out on the TV's optical.
Yes, the HDMI does carry the 5.1 signal. Assuming you get the 622, run the HDMI cable from the 622 to the TV. This way you have audio and video signal with less connections. Run the optical audio cable out of the 622 to the amp. You'll get better 5.1 sound not running it through an extra component and won't have to worry about audio syncronization either. All you have to do is turn down the volume on the tv and up on the amp, no need to go into the TV's menu to change the audio settings to output the sound.

homergreg: has two optical cables already
I bought at Radio Shack a 4-way in, 1-out Toslink optical switch fairly cheaply. I occasionally use it to switch 921/811/501/Lite-On as inputs to the the Sony DVD/CD system. This is like the 4-way manual switch I have for the video/S-video/2-channel sound switch for recording or playing. Today I might have chosen one with a remote if I could find a good price. BTW I used the thin Toslink as it was much cheaper, ~$20 for 5 short links.

bhelms: with a Sony "Dream" surround sound system.
I have one and it works well except:
The fast forward/rewind has only 2 speed, slowly and very fast. I miss 10-sec skip or rewind.
It has been refusing to play some on my DVD+R and some home-recorded CDs.
These work find on the Lite-On DVD recorder but it has its own problems.

Thanks David Dietzel for a good summary.

Enmarcador: Yes, the HDMI does carry the 5.1 signal.
The current line of Samsung DLP (being bought) does not pass 5.1 from HDMI to its optical out. It does give 5.1 from OTA input so one has the limited number of optical paths problem.

-Ken

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)