Adding 5th Receiver in SWM setup

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

ghoff

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Dec 2, 2004
Colorado Springs, CO
Before the addition of the HR24, I had the following setup.:
Receivers: HR20 x 2 and HR22 x 2
SWM LNB: SL5SPIG-P
SWM Power supply: PI-21
4-way Splitter: SWS-4

Added a HR24 receiver and changed the splitter to a SWS8WB-P with 75 ohm terminations in the vacant connectors.

So, after the upgrade, I have the following:
Receivers: HR20 x 2, HR22 x 2 and HR24 x 1
Same SWM LNB
Same SWM Power supply
8-way splitter: SWS8WB-P with 75 ohm terminations on the empty connections.

Problem: Error code 771b - One receiver does not see satellite

If I disconnect and reconnect a receiver in another room, the original receiver comes up, so it is not the receiver.

It seems as though there is limit of 4 receivers in this setup.

Suggestions?

Thanks, Gary

Last edited:
ghoff said:
Before the addition of the HR24, I had the following setup.:
Receivers: HR20 x 2 and HR22 x 2
SWM LNB: SL5SPIG-P
SWM Power supply: PI-21
4-way Splitter: SWS-4

Added a HR24 receiver and changed the splitter to a SWS8WB-P with 75 ohm terminations in the vacant connectors.

So, after the upgrade, I have the following:
Receivers: HR20 x 2, HR22 x 2 and HR24 x 1
Same SWM LNB
Same SWM Power supply
8-way splitter: SWS8WB-P with 75 ohm terminations on the empty connections.

Problem: Error code 771b - One receive does not see satellite

If I disconnect and reconnect a receiver in another room, the original receiver comes up, so it is not the receiver.

It seems as thought there is limit of 4 receivers in this setup.

Suggestions?

Thanks, Gary

You're using 10 tuners. Your system only works correctly with 8. You'll need to add a SWM 16 switch. 771b is not enough tuners. You'll need a different LNB and the SWM 16 plus two 8 way SWM splitters

ghoff said:
Got it.. thanks for your prompt response. This is just like owning a boat, always something else to buy. :)

Yup! Prolly get what you need cheap! Just make sure you get the right LNB! You need the SL3 or 5, it's not going to be a SWM LNB

Yup! Prolly get what you need cheap! Just make sure you get the right LNB! You need the SL3 or 5, it's not going to be a SWM LNB
If you get the switch and still need the lnb I'm in Colorado Springs and would trade you straight across your current swm lnb for a SL5 lnb. That might save you a couple of bucks. Shoot me a msg if interested. Frank

you will also need to run 3 additional lines from your dish (lnb) to whereever your switch is located just fyi. and you do not "need" 2 swm 8ways, you can use 2 4ways just as well, or 1 4way and 1 2way. the swm16 provides 8tuners per channel (i think im using the right terminology) and the switch runs 2 separate channels. since you only have 5 receivers, you only need 5 lines in total. 4 would run to a 4way (you can use an 8way and term the extra outputs) and then 1 would run to the second channel. Noting that since you have all dvrs, specifically 4 dvrs your 'channel1' is full, ie, using all 8 available tuners, so you cannot hook up another line thus there is no reason to use more than a 4way on this output unless you swap dvrs for regular hd/sd boxes. Now for the information i am not posotive of, I believe that the output of the swm switch (Channel2) NEEDS to run into some sort of a swm switch, whether it be a 2way,4way, or 8way. I dont think you can run 1 receiver directly into the SWM16 itself. But I'm sure someone else will correct me or verify that as well. GL with your install :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts