Adding a 3rd hopper

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

StarScan

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Nov 1, 2013
North Liberty, Indiana
I currently have 2 hoppers, 4 joeys, and a VIP211Z. I called to ask about adding another hopper and 2 more joeys for my second home bar and they said absolutely not. They claim I am at my maximum for receivers.

Was the rep mis informing me or is there a limit on how many receivers on an account?

I currently have 2 hoppers, 4 joeys, and a VIP211Z. I called to ask about adding another hopper and 2 more joeys for my second home bar and they said absolutely not. They claim I am at my maximum for receivers.

Was the rep mis informing me or is there a limit on how many receivers on an account?

You're at the limit for leased receivers. You can buy any additional receivers that you want to add. Check with a local retailer.

When you said 'second home bar' did you mean the second bar in the same home or the bar in a second home? If it's a second home then you should have a second account.

Reactions: Troch77
A second bar at the same home. Would I be able to get the receivers online instead of retailer and will the whole home DVR work across the leased vs owned hoppers?

A second bar at the same home. Would I be able to get the receivers online instead of retailer and will the whole home DVR work across the leased vs owned hoppers?

Yes you can get the receivers online but the installation will be a little tricky, and yes they'll all work together on the whole home network as long as they're on the same account.

What I want to know is how many people are watching tv in your house? THat is a lot of hoppers, joeys and a 211z too. You add all those fees for all those receivers, dvr fee and you are paying a lot of $$ each month.

A CSR told me DISH would let you have up to 7 Hoppers (5 of which you would have to purchase), but I'll bet you could go to 8 because a single dish (1000.2, 1000.4, or 1000+) will support that many: https://rvseniormoments.files.wordpress.com/2015/05/eight_hoppers_single_network.pdf

Anyway, I have 3 Hoppers in one network and there's at least one other person here who has a 4-Hopper network.

I bought my 3rd Hopper on eBay and saved about $100 compared to the "retail" price.

Finally, despite the initial pop for a Hopper, a Hopper only costs $5 more per month to lease than a Joey.

What I want to know is how many people are watching tv in your house? THat is a lot of hoppers, joeys and a 211z too. You add all those fees for all those receivers, dvr fee and you are paying a lot of $$ each month.
At that point, I don't think they care so much about price. It, at the very least, is not the priority.

At that point, I don't think they care so much about price. It, at the very least, is not the priority.
I guess money is no factor for them either, but I sure do marvel at those who have that many receivers in their home and all those fees, but then again, I am cheap and like to keep my costs down.

I have 4 Hoppers, a wired Joey, and a Wireless Joey, here is a diagram that I made (using RV Senior Moments diagrams, with some editing) that will show you how to hook up three. I like this one because it uses two DPP33 switches rather than DPP44 and you don't have to run power inserters to the DPP44s.
3 Hopper.jpg

I have 4 Hoppers, a wired Joey, and a Wireless Joey, here is a diagram that I made (using RV Senior Moments diagrams, with some editing) that will show you how to hook up three. I like this one because it uses two DPP33 switches rather than DPP44 and you don't have to run power inserters to the DPP44s.

I am dumbfounded. I could have sworn you couldn't hook up a DPP33 because it didn't have the smarts to turn off the internal switch in the LNB. What I'd really like to do is hook my 1000.4 up to my old switch stack of a DP34 and DPP33 so as to add more receivers.

I am dumbfounded. I could have sworn you couldn't hook up a DPP33 because it didn't have the smarts to turn off the internal switch in the LNB. What I'd really like to do is hook my 1000.4 up to my old switch stack of a DP34 and DPP33 so as to add more receivers.
According to the instructions for the 1000.4, the DPP33 and 44 will disable the internal switch on the Dish 1000.4. I haven't personally tried it, I use 3 separate 30" Winegards with DPP single LNBFs. I have a 1000.4 I am going to try it with to see.

Reactions: TheKrell
Reactions: TheKrell

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)