Adding a HD-DVR very confussed!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

homerofwar

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Dec 4, 2008
Saratoga Springs, NY
Ok so I'm so confused. I always read, how everyone says to order the Reciever Directly from DirecTv because you get Free installation right? idk, im just so confused the total came out to being this when i called.

$199.99 - HD-DVR
$49.99 - Installation
$19.99 - To Ship it to the Installer
$270.00 - TOTAL

Plus on top of the lease fee of $5 a month, to me it just adds up to ALLOT of money just to have another tv hooked up, they said they cant give me any discounts because im "too late in the game" (im 8 months into my contract), and said if I had called earlier like a few months earlier they could of helped me out, makes no sense to me cause I did call like a few months ago and they wouldnt help me out at all.

I love DirecTV its a great service, and I understand the lease fee and all that stuff, it just the installation fee and having to pay to ship it to the installer is just allot of money.

Is this right? and Ive read it on allot of forums that you get free installation when you add an additional receiver. Now no offense, but this HD-DVR are garbage there slow, take sometimes up to 2 to 3 second just to change the channel, and there no way in hell i can honestly see myself paying nearly $300 for a piece of **** haha, I just need another hddvr receiver for my hdtv in my room thats been with out service for 8 months now, is there anything i can do?

Ok so I'm so confused. I always read, how everyone says to order the Reciever Directly from DirecTv because you get Free installation right? idk, im just so confused the total came out to being this when i called.

$199.99 - HD-DVR
$49.99 - Installation
$19.99 - To Ship it to the Installer
$270.00 - TOTAL

Plus on top of the lease fee of $5 a month, to me it just adds up to ALLOT of money just to have another tv hooked up, they said they cant give me any discounts because im "too late in the game" (im 8 months into my contract), and said if I had called earlier like a few months earlier they could of helped me out, makes no sense to me cause I did call like a few months ago and they wouldnt help me out at all.

I love DirecTV its a great service, and I understand the lease fee and all that stuff, it just the installation fee and having to pay to ship it to the installer is just allot of money.

Is this right? and Ive read it on allot of forums that you get free installation when you add an additional receiver. Now no offense, but this HD-DVR are garbage there slow, take sometimes up to 2 to 3 second just to change the channel, and there no way in hell i can honestly see myself paying nearly $300 for a piece of **** haha, I just need another hddvr receiver for my hdtv in my room thats been with out service for 8 months now, is there anything i can do?

that would be a first if that was true.

switching to a different channel as it is scanning what resolution to broadcast it in.

that would be a first if that was true.

switching to a different channel as it is scanning what resolution to broadcast it in.
what? Im not sure if i understand what your getting at with the secound part.

But the "Equipment" department at DirecTV told em I would have to pay $50 for installation and $20 to ship it to the installer, plus the whole price of the HD-DVR ($200) just doesn't seem right to em at all.

$19.99 shipping charges is pretty standard around these parts.

$199.99 is a standard charge for a lease on a hd-dvr from D* .

So, the install fee is left, was there some sort of wall fish or any custom work needed?

edit: was this an upgrade or new install?

Last edited:
what? Im not sure if i understand what your getting at with the secound part.

But the "Equipment" department at DirecTV told em I would have to pay $50 for installation and $20 to ship it to the installer, plus the whole price of the HD-DVR ($200) just doesn't seem right to em at all.

when you switch from like lets say a SD channel and it will go to 480i and if u get a HD channel it may go to 780i up to 1080i which should switch to 1080i

$19.99 shipping charges is pretty standard around these parts.

$199.99 is a standard charge for a lease on a hd-dvr from D* when they don't have a special going on.
Sorry about your luck :eek:

So, the install fee is left, was there some sort of wall fish or any custom work needed?

edit: was this an upgrade or new install?
No no custom work, they can wire right though the basement, very simple install, and no this is an additional receiver not an upgrade, but besides even if it was an upgrade form a standard receiver they would still need to wire a second coax cable to the hddvr, makes lil sense to me. Also what kinda pisses me off, is that Directv offers you a Free Hd receiver or HD-DVR (it was one of the two) if you moved, also free re-installation, so it's like this! Why are they attempting to charge me $50 for an install when they go an reinstall a whole house and gve a free receiver for free. It just frustrating cause I was supposed t move this summer, and we didnt, but i def need a new receiver still.

So there is a need for two lines that need to be ran then?

Will there be a need for a multiswitch? What's your setup like right now with out the new box?

So there is a need for two lines that need to be ran then?

Will there be a need for a multiswitch? What's your setup like right now with out the new box?
Ok I have this setup, Apparently someone told em too is tehre gonan charge for isntallation because im adding anotehr HD-DVR, I eman I can settle for a HD-Reciver, without the dvr if it gets to that point.

But my current setup is this:
2 Standard recivers
1 HD-DVR

and I believe its a multi-switch, idk 4 wires run out of the slimeline dish, two it look like a really small sable splitter but all 4 wire that go in have an output of 4 wire then they are all wired to the boxes.

Yes if you already have a hd-dvr then you are going to get charged for it.

Yes, they will charge you a shipping charge for it as well.

Yes, they will charge for running additional lines, because you aren't a new customer and you are indeed upgrading to an additional hd-dvr.

D really isn't gaining anything from you adding a new bo:mad:$5 a month), as opposed to a brand new customer($50-$150 a month) with a free install, and giving them everything free to get them on board. Makes sense business wise.

Traditionally, D takes into account a number of things when giving free upgrades, seems like you didn't fall into that tier just yet. :(

D for the most part treats it's customer's right IMHO. I'm sure you'll find enough people to say otherwise, but that's just my two cents.

Pick up a R22 from Newegg.com, they're $84.99 plus shipping. It's their regular DVR. With the new software, it opens up the HD. Plus the $50 or so to install it (you have listed above) and it should only cost you about $150.00. :cool:

Pick up a R22 from Newegg.com, they're $84.99 plus shipping. It's their regular DVR. With the new software, it opens up the HD. Plus the $50 or so to install it (you have listed above) and it should only cost you about $150.00. :cool:
that sounds llot better, so you have hd on the R22 softwre? thats sounds pretty sweet :D

Whenever I added A receiver, installation was free, extra wire, multiswitch they just did what they had to do. I would try to find a friendlier CSR and get a free install. If you got a really good deal when you started out they will be reluctant to give you more so soon.

when you switch from like lets say a SD channel and it will go to 480i and if u get a HD channel it may go to 780i up to 1080i which should switch to 1080i

OK you cant argue that the D* boxes are extremely slow to do anything. That is a known fact. And, I can tell you from someone who just switched from Dish's 622 that the HR22 isn't even close to as responsive. It's not just changing channels, it's doing anything: changing channels, bringing up the guide, scrolling through the guide, bringing up the menu, going from SD to HD;SD to SD;HD to HD etc.... It's just slow all around.

OK you cant argue that the D* boxes are extremely slow to do anything. That is a known fact. And, I can tell you from someone who just switched from Dish's 622 that the HR22 isn't even close to as responsive. It's not just changing channels, it's doing anything: changing channels, bringing up the guide, scrolling through the guide, bringing up the menu, going from SD to HD;SD to SD;HD to HD etc.... It's just slow all around.

i wont argue with that one. I know SD recievers responds faster than HD recievers

with DTV i do get screen glitches when it switches from 1080i to 480i on sd channels on any HD-HDDVR recievers which slows it by more than sec longer.

a dart league of mine works for dish network and ive gone on an install with him. the BRAND new dish network HD reciever is slow on switching channels as well.

i wont argue with that one. I know SD recievers responds faster than HD recievers

with DTV i do get screen glitches when it switches from 1080i to 480i on sd channels on any HD-HDDVR recievers which slows it by more than sec longer.

a dart league of mine works for dish network and ive gone on an install with him. the BRAND new dish network HD reciever is slow on switching channels as well.

Well, there is a difference by a large margin between Dish HD DVR boxes (the 622 and 722) and the D* HD DVR boxes (HR22 is the only one I have used). Maybe the newest regular HD receiver from Dish is slow, but their flagship HD DVR's (622, 722) are very fast comparitavely and I have used both of them.

Well, there is a difference by a large margin between Dish HD DVR boxes (the 622 and 722) and the D* HD DVR boxes (HR22 is the only one I have used). Maybe the newest regular HD receiver from Dish is slow, but their flagship HD DVR's (622, 722) are very fast comparitavely and I have used both of them.

I believe he has been installing ViP 722 models. like i said i dont know anything about them but watching him change to one channel to the next is about the same length as DirecTV HD DVR

Do you know this for a FACT or just a rumor you heard ?

Then theres another issue, the HR20's are supposivly faster than the newer ones.
I can't say because I don't have anything other than the HR20's.

Then theres another issue, the HR20's are supposivly faster than the newer ones.
I can't say because I don't have anything other than the HR20's.

I wouldn't doubt it. The HR22 is painfully slow at times. Maybe it's because I am comparing it to the ViP622 I just came from, but I want to pull my hair out at times waiting for the HR22 to change a channel or go to the guide. It can be very frustrating!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)