Adding a movie room

mobimop

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jun 13, 2010
Southwest
Hello all,

I'm currently a dish network subscriber with a single DVR (ViP922) and I'm about to embark in building a modest movie room in my home. I have a couple questions regarding multi-room setups.

1. The room presently doesn't have a coax cable, should I have dish do the install or hire my local entertainment store installers to pull the coax?

2. I know the ViP922 doesn't support multi-rooms so what DVR should I get?

3. What will Dish charge me for the extra DVR/room? Is it just the monthly rental charge for the DVR or do I have to pay for another setup of programming?

Thanks in advance!

Unless you need independent viewing at both locations at the same time, I would run an HDMI or ethernet cables with ethernert to hdmi converters from the receiver's current location and then just use the RF remotes Connect one tv via component and the other via hdmi since the outputs are all hot at the same time. This will save on the additional receiver fees and you can still have HD and DVR in both locations. Now if you need to be able to watch separate programming at the same time in both locations then a second receiver is the way to go.

I'm unsure how you mean movie room in relation to E*, but I believe I understand the questions.

1. If it's not a E* related movie room (Need our receiver(s) installed) I would say the local entertainment store.

2. The 922 does now support dual mode 2 TV's off one box, however you can't sling and watch TV2 at the same time. Any Duo DVR (probably HD if you want the feature or are EA)

3. If you get another receiver on the account there will be an additional receiver fee monthly of $10 or $17 depending if it's solo or duo for a DVR.

EDIT: As Osu mentioned you could also do it all from one TV if you're not looking for individual pictures

I'm unsure how you mean movie room in relation to E*, but I believe I understand the questions.

1. If it's not a E* related movie room (Need our receiver(s) installed) I would say the local entertainment store.

2. The 922 does now support dual mode 2 TV's off one box, however you can't sling and watch TV2 at the same time. Any Duo DVR (probably HD if you want the feature or are EA)

3. If you get another receiver on the account there will be an additional receiver fee monthly of $10 or $17 depending if it's solo or duo for a DVR.

EDIT: As Osu mentioned you could also do it all from one TV if you're not looking for individual pictures

1. If I purchased another receiver than I would need it installed as I have no idea how to add it to my existing dish.

2. Will the second TV get HD?

3. What is a solo versus duo?

If I'm not mistaken... (if I am someone else will correct)
Solo's are usually one user boxes
Duo's are dual user boxes, usually dual in dual out, so you can have two separate users watching two separate channels at the same time.

As to pulling cable.. depends on how you're setting up this theater room, If you're gutting the room to redo walls, and stuff, then it would be best to put in conduit to a few junction points .. that way you can update the cable when technology advances without having to re-open walls.

example.. couple hundred bucks, gets you a convertbox set to go HDMI over dualCat5 but what if someday you want to replace the cat 5 with fiber? or add additional cat 5? A conduit would have pull strings, you just hook to and pull through. Its more expensive than just pulling cable, but gives a really good flexible option. You could have access points in the ceiling behind the screen, access point on the side, and in the rear of your room..., etc..

Just a thought..

If you can stand to wait just a little bit, this might be the perfect place for a Sling Receiver. It's basically a box that will connect to your 922 via your home network (Ethernet or wireless) and will allow you to view live tv or recorded content in full HD without requiring a new receiver. It's coming very soon.

Wireless HDMI transmitters are already available. I have an I-Trio I bought at Amazon for about $269. It has a range of about 120 feet and does not require line of sight. I use it in a house with solid masonry walls and wood doors. After you get the position of the two boxes right, the receiving set produces an HD picture indistinguishable from the original. Use Dish's second remote to control your satellite receiver.

Set up is very easy - you would also need an high quality HDMI splitter.

If you can stand to wait just a little bit, this might be the perfect place for a Sling Receiver. It's basically a box that will connect to your 922 via your home network (Ethernet or wireless) and will allow you to view live tv or recorded content in full HD without requiring a new receiver. It's coming very soon.

+1

1. If I purchased another receiver than I would need it installed as I have no idea how to add it to my existing dish.

2. Will the second TV get HD?

3. What is a solo versus duo?

Correct, new receivers do need to be installed unless you can do it yourself (A bit more work and can be more expensive). At this moment none of our receivers broadcast TV2 as HD, though we are working on Sling Receiver 300 which will allow you to sling your TV2 in HD to another TV in the home. TG2 hit that one dead on with the solo versus duo.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts