Adding a new HD Receiver

Status
Please reply by conversation.

ToddFLA

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jan 30, 2005
North Florida
I have searched the forums but havent found much on this, so here goes. I am wanting to replace an SD receiver on my account with an HD receiver. Is it possible for me to just pay DirecTV for the rec. and add/install it myself? It will be in a different room than where the SD tv was located. Is it as simple as replacing the coax cable in the box on the side of the house that houses all the connections from the dish to the coax cables running to the rooms in the house? I have two other rooms that were wired for Cable so would I be able to use the cable leading to the HDTV in the house that will use the HD receiver? I hope I am making sense but I really appreciate the assistance on this. I do not want to have to pay an installer $89 to come out and hook up a reciever in another room that already has a coax cable ran to it.

Thanks

Todd

I have searched the forums but havent found much on this, so here goes. I am wanting to replace an SD receiver on my account with an HD receiver. Is it possible for me to just pay DirecTV for the rec. and add/install it myself? It will be in a different room than where the SD tv was located. Is it as simple as replacing the coax cable in the box on the side of the house that houses all the connections from the dish to the coax cables running to the rooms in the house? I have two other rooms that were wired for Cable so would I be able to use the cable leading to the HDTV in the house that will use the HD receiver? I hope I am making sense but I really appreciate the assistance on this. I do not want to have to pay an installer $89 to come out and hook up a reciever in another room that already has a coax cable ran to it.

Thanks

Todd

Normally when you get a new receiver it's with FREE installation ...

Possible to just pay D* for the rec. ?
NO, the rec's are all leased units now. If you do not have an HD rec. yet, you will also need a new Slimline 5 lnb dish as well, also FREE IF D* does the install, otherwise a 5 lnb dish goes for $ 99
Let them do it.

IF you currently have cable in the rooms that will be needing rec's , they will be able to re- use your existing cables, if you want them to run new, tell them ahead of time, charges may occur if there are wall fishes to be done.

Jimbo

I didnt clarify in original message but I already have DirecTV in 2 rooms but I am wanting to upgrade one SD receiver to an HD receiver on my account, but the HD rec will be in a different room than what I already have. I already have one HD receiver and a 5 LNB dish.

Todd

I didnt clarify in original message but I already have DirecTV in 2 rooms but I am wanting to upgrade one SD receiver to an HD receiver on my account, but the HD rec will be in a different room than what I already have. I already have one HD receiver and a 5 LNB dish.

Todd
Hi... I have done exactly what you are referring to. Went to Costco, paid $89 for an H20-600, brought it home and added it to my system. I had 4 rcvr. but went to five. I just ran another coax from my Zinwell switch. As long as it's not a DVR, the one cable you have should do it (as you state you already have a slimline) You then call D* and they walk you through activation using the card that comes with the rcvr. Quite quick and easy.HTH:cool:

Todd,

Shouldn't be a problem. I've done it many times in the past.

Most recently, I picked up an HR21 at CC brought it home and hooked it up called D* and had it authorized over the phone. While on the phone I had them deactivate the box I replaced (tivo).

Call Directv
they offer the Basic HD Box for free now

Not as of last night they werent. I ended up paying $50 after a $50 discount for a basic HD receiver plus s & h. I was upgrading an SD to an HD rec. Please tell me what I missed out on by paying $50 and why did they charge me? Thanks.

Todd

PS. Thanks to everyone who gave me input, I figured out what I was needing to do and i'll be up and running with the HD receiever tomorrow when it arrives.

Not as of last night they werent. I ended up paying $50 after a $50 discount for a basic HD receiver plus s & h. I was upgrading an SD to an HD rec. Please tell me what I missed out on by paying $50 and why did they charge me? Thanks.

Todd

PS. Thanks to everyone who gave me input, I figured out what I was needing to do and i'll be up and running with the HD receiever tomorrow when it arrives.

I paid $ 100 for a HD basic rec. (H20), so your deal sound like you got the $ 100 HD rec - $ 50 discount for a total of $ 50.
Sounds like a good deal to me :)

Jimbo

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)