Adding a new receiver.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

trickedmx6

Original poster
Jun 29, 2005
Yes, I'm new on here, and I'm having problems. I have a D10 receiver and just installed it myself. It is hooked onto a 3 lnb oval dish. We have one cable coming from the sat, and it is ran into a splitter which is failing to direct the signal into both tv's without problems. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Is the splitter on the cable from the dish to the receiver or on the cable from the out to TV connector to the TVs? Cable splitters should never be used on satellite lines (the line from the dish to the receiver) but can be used to split an output signal to multiple TVs. Be aware, however, you'll have the same program on all the TVs.

Secondly, what coordinates (azimuth, elevation and tilt) did you set the dish to? Did you get the info from your receiver, or from another reliable source? The dish must be pointed at the satellite(s) to be able to receive their signal(s).

You cannot use a regular splitter between the sat and a receiver, you would have the dish cables go into a switch, then one output per receiver comes out of the switch, you CAN split the signal from the receiver TO the TV (in which case one receiver would control both TVs). I am of course going by your wording on your post, perhaps you meant switch when you say splitter.

We bought a signal splitter at Best Buy, and now we have problems. We have the "input" cable coming from the sat. dish, and the two "output" cables are going to different receivers. What do I have to do to make it so both receivers work normal?

trickedmx6 said:
We bought a signal splitter at Best Buy, and now we have problems. We have the "input" cable coming from the sat. dish, and the two "output" cables are going to different receivers. What do I have to do to make it so both receivers work normal?

Welcome to SatelliteGuys! :welcome

Step 1. Return the splitter to Best Buy.

Step 2. Run a dedicated cable from seperate LNB's on the dish to EACH reciever.'

Step 3. Watch D* on each reciever as normal...

You can't use splitters on a DBS signal. It simply doesn't work the same as a "Cable TV" signal. Believe me, I've tried! After a lot of frustration, I turned to this forum for advice and everyone confirmed that the splitters don't work.

If you have a 3 lnb dish, than you definately have more than one output on the dish to work with.

Hope this helps! :wave

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)