Adding a PVR - need options

blues_machine

Original poster
Sep 22, 2004
hey all,

I have a real old Dish Network receiver. I want to add PVR and keep the current one a a slave receiver. I do have a dish 500 satellite-dish that I picked up.

Where can I get a no contract PVR that they will ship to an address? Any options that don't cost $200?

A receiver with a contract is OK as long as I can get it shipped to me with no installer guy necessary. Any special upgrade deals available?

I am grandfathered and have both NY & LA + a local package and don't want to loose that.

I also moved and didn't tell dish.. just updated my billing address. So If I tell them to send a guy out to install a system they'll probably take away my channels. BAD!

Do anyone know of any reasonably priced INTERNET dealers that will ship me a receiver? When I originally bought it that's what I did.. but damned if I can find the company now. Ebay is an option..

Thanks

Don't have an answer to your question but I do have some other helpful advice...

recEIver

blues_machine said:
hey all,

I have a real old Dish Network receiver. I want to add PVR and keep the current one a a slave receiver. I do have a dish 500 satellite-dish that I picked up.

Where can I get a no contract PVR that they will ship to an address? Any options that don't cost $200?

A receiver with a contract is OK as long as I can get it shipped to me with no installer guy necessary. Any special upgrade deals available?

I am grandfathered and have both NY & LA + a local package and don't want to loose that.

I also moved and didn't tell dish.. just updated my billing address. So If I tell them to send a guy out to install a system they'll probably take away my channels. BAD!

Do anyone know of any reasonably priced INTERNET dealers that will ship me a receiver? When I originally bought it that's what I did.. but damned if I can find the company now. Ebay is an option..

Thanks

How about a Tivo and an additional receiver? you can get Tivo's for $50 right now. Of course that means you pay $5 extra a month in subscription fees.

As far as the Grandfathering goes, it's on the receiver so any new one you activate to your account will not receive them. It sucks, I know, but a coworker lost all his distant nets that were grandfatherered as he replaced his ancient 1000's with PVR's.

Well, it sounds like you could be screwed either way with the Grandfathering problem on any receiver you activate, so that part doesn't really matter. You said

Yes, the Dish it up! promo. You get two receivers for a 1 time fee of $25.00, but the catch is you don't own them. If your close your account or drop below AT60 (I think) you must return the receivers or be billed. You have the option of sending back your old receiver(s) for credit, but I was told I didn't have to. You will be charged $5.00/mo each for the lease, which replaces the $4.99 additional owned receiver fee. Then there is the $5.00/mo DVR fee. You can choose any combination of 2 receivers, 811 (hd), 510 (dvr), or 311 (basic receiver). Just tell Dish you want them shipped to a different address than your home address. I had mine shipped to my work. It's harder than heck for me to catch deliveries at home.

I hope not... I was able about 2 years ago to add a second receiver on my account and still get the nets no problem... took it off a year after that.

In the end I don't think Dish WANTS to take channels away from you... I'll definetly post to the board when I get the new receiver..

ShadowEKU said:
and 12.99 for tivo subscription
Bzzt, wrong.

For DirecTivo bo:mad:es) there is an additional $5 DVR fee PER ACCOUNT (not per box) from DirecTV.

$12.99/mo. is a fee charged to standalone Tivo users, PER BOX.

DarrellP said:
As far as the Grandfathering goes, it's on the receiver so any new one you activate to your account will not receive them. It sucks, I know, but a coworker lost all his distant nets that were grandfatherered as he replaced his ancient 1000's with PVR's.
Funny, I'm on my third type of receiver and second physical location since I left C-Band and activated my distant net grandfathering.

Only thing that ever nailed me was when Colorado Springs went hot, KRDO (ABC) decided that I shouldn't see any ABC any more unless I bought it from them.

KRDO SUCKS! I BOYCOTT ALL THEIR ADVERTISERS

My understanding is that grandfathering no longer really exists. I think it was struck down. There are a lot of folks who assume they are still grandfathered, but aren't...meaning it is just a matter of time until it catches up with them. There are also a lot of boxes that get channels that were supposed to be downgraded (turned off) yet through some level of CSR incompetence still get those channels.

If you go to a DBS vendor website, use their tools, and discover that you are not elligible for distant nets according to that mechanism, then you are not supposed to get those channels, period. If you get them anyway, it is not because of grandfathering, but either an oversight or they just haven't got around to you yet. There is a lot of infrastructure for bookkeeping at DBS vendors, but not much of it is dedicated to enforcing this particular FCC rule, so many of us may be safe for some time.

video62 said:
Bzzt, wrong.

For DirecTivo bo:mad:es) there is an additional $5 DVR fee PER ACCOUNT (not per box) from DirecTV.

$12.99/mo. is a fee charged to standalone Tivo users, PER BOX.
Since the guy was referring to stand-alone Tivo's, YOU were wrong. Instead of a "bzzt wrong", it should have been "bing bing bing - A new car!"

The big hint should have been that DirecTivo's don't work on Dish systems.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts