Adding a second dish... Thoughts & recommendations desired...

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.
@Jason, welcome to the hobby! You seem like an experimenter like me. :) You are very lucky to get the green light for so many dishes! I would love to get the green light for a motorized 6Ft. C-Band dish, but at the very least I'm happy with my motorized Ku dish and stationary 1.2M C-Band dish that gives me plenty to watch. The roof almost resembles a TV station. :) Good luck with your projects, and enjoy all the free channels! :-D

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

phlatwound: Thank you again. I may have another lead on what is described as a "big, mesh dish". I've been told that "I can have it if I come get it..." Hopefully I'll get a chance to look at it soon.

Christopher Cromwell: Thanks for the comment. I'm thinking a motor for one of the dishes will most likely be in my future.

Update:

On Sunday, I got the new dish assembled and set on the pole. I put the new Titanium Ku-PLL LNBF in the mount, setup up my set top box and spare TV and began tuning for 97W - Galaxy 19. I had a lock in record time, 15 minutes at the most...

After I was locked on, I scanned in some 200 channels under 99W - Galaxy 16... Oops. I wasn't paying very close attention to a 13" TV with cobwebs and dust on the screen which can cause 'Confusion and Delay'...

I found this today on another thread and thought it applied very well:
So, if you aim the dish and think you are pointed at 97W but are actually pointed at 101W, it will happily scan in the channels on the 101W satellite and they will appear under 97W.

Well, I figured out what I did wrong. This was after I tried practicing finding satellites by moving the dish off 97W and resetting declination (or is it elevation?) and then trying to find 97W again, which was actually scanned in to 99W.

Long story short. Sunday evening, I got 97W- Galaxy 19 scanned back in to the proper place on the receiver and we've been watching it for a few days, in addition to the flagship 125W. I had some 200 channels that had scanned to 99W to delete, but I think I'm beginning to understand the whole process better.

So here is number 2, a Patriot 1.2 meter dish with an Titanium Ku-PLL LNBF...
DSCN0346.JPG

Reactions: danristheman
Congratulations! It is easier the second time, isn't it?

Hope the C Band pans out. There is more available there and well worth the effort. Pay close attention to everything before you take it down, maybe even take a few pictures. If you can get it down without messing up any of the elevation or declination adjustments, you will have an easier time setting it back up (I'm assuming it won't be a long distance move.). C band is a bit more of a pain setting up, but I'm sure you can handle it. You've already demonstrated the most important quality, patience.

I agree! C-Band is where the real action is! I'm still daydreaming how to set up a second 1.2M C-Band dish up on the roof next to the other one without my wife noticing anything out of the ordinary; and acting against her wishes. Still dreaming of a way...... :)

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Congratulations! It is easier the second time, isn't it?

Hope the C Band pans out. You've already demonstrated the most important quality, patience.

Thank you. Finding Ku satellites is easier the second time. Especially starting at the due south, 97W satellite. My first shot at this was for 125W, which I've read (and have first hand knowledge) is not the easiest. I've still got Ku experimenting to do... Along with refurbishing the Echostar C-band dish.

And yes, patience... It'll still require patience by the truckload!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts