Adding a second receiver to the account

rodin

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 25, 2006
When I first signed up w/ Dish nearly 2 years ago, I paid the $99 upgrade to have 2 HD DVRs, and about 6 months ago I turned off the other receiver due to money woes. Now, I'm ready to have the 2nd HD DVR (722k) added back, and they want me to extend my contract for 2 years, and pay $95 to have someone come out and install it. OK, the house is already wired (duhh, I had the receiver already) for the service, nothing has changed. Why would I want to resign a 2 year agreement to add something I've already had on my account, why would I pay $95 for someone to come install something that I am 100% capable of installing again, and why would I extend the contract for LEASED equipment? I understand if I buy the equipment subsidized, but at the end of the term, the equipment is dish networks, not mine. The guy on the phone tried to use the cell phone subsidy trick, well -- at the end of those 2 years, the cell phone is still mine.

PM one of the DIRT members here and see what they can do for you. They will be in red type at the bottom of the Forum page. Whatever they come up with will be the best they can do.

Welp, DIRT couldn't help out either. I would not have a problem extending a contract for 2 years IF I would actually own that equipment when it was said and done.

I understand if I buy the equipment subsidized, but at the end of the term, the equipment is dish networks, not mine. The guy on the phone tried to use the cell phone subsidy trick, well -- at the end of those 2 years, the cell phone is still mine.

Excellent point. If there is a subsidy, then I can understand the 2yr contract. Since Dish gets their equipment back, then why require any new commitment at all? They subsidize the dish antenna and cabling, but if it's already there, then obviously that's not a valid reason to extend your contract either. Cable operators (at least in the past) did not do this. I've been with Dish so long, I don't know what the current cable TV environment is around here.

Well you are getting a $450 receiver and getting it installed. I know you can do it yourself but Dish does not know that and they do not want the customer to mess something up and then be pissed at Dish. If Dish didn't charge any kind of fees and make you renew a contract then everyone would be swapping equipment around constantly and Dish wouldn't make any money.

If you want to get the receiver and put it in yourself a local retailer may be willing to let you do it and may not charge the full $95 fee. If you don't like any of those ideas then just buy one yourself and put it in yourself then you can hang on to as long as you want without a contract.

Well you are getting a $450 receiver and getting it installed. I know you can do it yourself but Dish does not know that and they do not want the customer to mess something up and then be pissed at Dish. If Dish didn't charge any kind of fees and make you renew a contract then everyone would be swapping equipment around constantly and Dish wouldn't make any money.

If you want to get the receiver and put it in yourself a local retailer may be willing to let you do it and may not charge the full $95 fee. If you don't like any of those ideas then just buy one yourself and put it in yourself then you can hang on to as long as you want without a contract.

They offered to waive the $95 fee for a tech visit, but I still refuse to sign a 2 year contract deal with them just by adding LEASED equipment. As I said previously, I do not own the equipment at the end of 2 years, therefore, I will not give them 2 more years to get nothing in return.

I would be willing to do another contract if Dish would give me a special rate for the term, so maybe I'll try the loyalty team to see what I can work out.

Let's see, they are willing to loan you a free DVR, with the exception of $17 a month, and they are asking you to commit to 2 years for that tidbit. I'd hardly say you get nothing in return. If you bought the DVR, it will still cost you $17 a month, but you will have to pay and it would cost you a minimum of $250 on EBay. We'd all like to get something for nothing but that isn't how things work....

Let's see, they are willing to loan you a free DVR, with the exception of $17 a month, and they are asking you to commit to 2 years for that tidbit. I'd hardly say you get nothing in return. If you bought the DVR, it will still cost you $17 a month, but you will have to pay and it would cost you a minimum of $250 on EBay. We'd all like to get something for nothing but that isn't how things work....

The point is -- I do not own the equipment at the end of the 2 years. I've already had 2 receivers on my account previously. It's all good though, if they don't work with me, I've got a plan, and I will be satisfied with it.

rodin said:
The point is -- I do not own the equipment at the end of the 2 years. I've already had 2 receivers on my account previously. It's all good though, if they don't work with me, I've got a plan, and I will be satisfied with it.

Im glad to hear you have a plan. Comeback and tell us how you worked it out.

I don't understand why people want to own their equipment if they plan to be a long term customer.. You pay the same monthly fees. If the receiver dies while your under commitment or after it expires, they replace the equipment at the same costs.

Loyalty dept. came through, and included the contract renewal, and results I am satisfied with.

- Purchase from Claude or eBay - Claude is preferable;
- Search for a seller with 100% positive feedback - disregard if you purchase from Claude;
- purchase outright'
- install yourself;
- always use a UPS and network connection - the home-link is not worth the aggravation and not having a UPS is only asking for trouble in today's non-regulated utility market where none of the suppliers pay attention to regulating the voltage. The equipment will last a lot longer, too;
- call and activate;

we own everything and will never lease or let another installer in the house:
- no more: holes drilled in antique water-struck brick which cannot be replaced because it isn't manufactured any more;
- no more air leaks in the walls where the installer decided to run the cable through because it was more convenient and took less time;
- no more: "don't tell me how to run the cable, I know how to install"; in a 112 year old house that has been fully restored;
- no more: "you can't put the dish there" - when there is a perfectly clean line of sight and it is mounted on a level brick wall, out of the wind and protected from snow;
- no more: "you can't run the cable like that" - sorry, I want everything in thinwall until it enters the building;
- no more: "that's not how we were taught how to do a drip loop";
- no more: "I won't pass inspection" - that's right, cause there won't be any inspection - we do not want your stickers all over everything - we prefer to label and inventory ourselves.

Buy it outright and self-install. the only way to go.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts