Adding a second receiver

Dee_Ann

Angry consumer!
Original poster
May 23, 2009
Texas
I'll be moving soon and I'm very seriously considering adding a second receiver because of the size of the house. I could make due with one but it would be nice to have two plus being able to DVR two different things at once.

I currently own a VIP211k and I want to purchase a second one (used of course) because I like that I can put any size disk I wish on it and there is no monthly fee for having DVR. As far as I know, the VIP211k is the only receiver in which you can do this. Yes?

Purchasing a second VIP211k is trivial, I am sure I can find one fast and easy.

What I am wonder though is HOW to connect two receivers to my dishes. I am very much a DIY type.
Rather than use one small dish I have three individual 1.2 meter Prodelin dishes aimed at 110w, 119w and 129w and combine the signal with an SW21-3 (3-way switch) that I've used for a couple of years and it's worked really well. Rain fade? What's that? I've also run RG-11Q end to end at the new house so it really ought to give me excellent performance. As for alignment I own an AI Turbo S2 so I can do a very precise alignment. I do my own installs from start to finish.

I am assuming I would have to replace the single output switch with one that can take three (or more) inputs and have two (or more) outputs. What switch would be recommended for this?

I'm also assuming that the switch would go at the dishes, as it is now and then two wires run from the dishes to the house vs the one wire as it is now, yes?

And then there is the question of how much of a monthly increase in my billing would it incur to have TWO VIP211k receivers? Like $0 a month more? $5 a month more? $10? (I don't know, I can't find the info, all I find is tons of flapdoodle about that Hopper/Joey nonsense which I want nothing at all do with. Do not want.)

Thanks..

Do your dishes have duel output lnb's ?

If so get another switch and duplicate the setup.

Otherwise I'd suggest just getting another dish
No fair Claude look at Dee Anns posting history overkill or nothing. She really needs a DP dual LNB on each dish if her LEGACYs are singles.

Dee Ann you might be better off getting a VIP 722 it will cost the same per month as two 211s but the second output will be SD.

as noted 2nd receiver fee is $7. Since you already paid the $40 one time fee for a DVR on the existing 211 the new one will automatically have the option. No extra fee

Rather than use one small dish I have three individual 1.2 meter Prodelin dishes aimed at 110w, 119w and 129w and combine the signal with an SW21-3 (3-way switch) that I've used for a couple of years and it's worked really well.
I assume they are dual LNB's. If so get another SW31 and duplicate what you already have

Saying goodbye to FTA?

Oh no... No no no no no..... But I of course have to relocate ALL of my dishes to where I'm moving, I'm getting my inheritance much sooner than I ever expected.. :/

Do your dishes have duel output lnb's ?

If so get another switch and duplicate the setup.

Otherwise I'd suggest just getting another dish

Dual output LNBs, ok that makes sense. Then just feed the other outputs to a duplicate system. Cake walk !!
As for another dish? Nope..... I got some mongo oversized dishes and I really, really love never experiencing rain fade.
They are so much oversized that I could be under 30 feet of water and still get a signal.. :D

No fair Claude look at Dee Anns posting history overkill or nothing. She really needs a DP dual LNB on each dish if her LEGACYs are singles.

Yes, overkill is my motto. It looks like of the three dishes, only one has a dual output LNBF. I should be able to find some on eBay cheap enough.

Dee Ann you might be better off getting a VIP 722 it will cost the same per month as two 211s but the second output will be SD.

I don't do SD.. A few years ago I just went all in and replaced everything I own with HD screens. The other reason for wanting two separate receivers is that my new(ish) house is quite a bit larger and two stories.
As it is now I feed three screens from one receiver over 50' HDMI cables, as for the remotes, I use one of these, Amazon product ASIN B000C1Z0HAI bought three extra transmitter batteries and I leave a remote in each part of the house for each TV. But it's not 100% perfect, sometimes it has something interfere with it and the remote may act sluggish.
I was thinking of putting one receiver in my new computer room where I sit and watch a lot of TV and have the other one shared between my bedroom and living room, the bedroom is directly over the living room and I'll never be in both at the same time. The cables would be short between floors as would the gap for the remote control radio thingies. And I could record two different things at the same time, which I can't do now. I hate how shows will run over the hour, like something will end at 9:02pm but the other show I want to record starts on the other channel at 9:00pm. So I have to record the other one at like 2am, IF it repeats. It's a bit annoying but I live with it. Being able to do two at once would be very nice.

as noted 2nd receiver fee is $7. Since you already paid the $40 one time fee for a DVR on the existing 211 the new one will automatically have the option. No extra fee

That's excellent ! But, wait, what about the monthly HD fee I pay? Will that increase as well or stay the same? Is the $10 HD 250 fee a flat fee that covers both or is it PER receiver?

I assume they are dual LNB's. If so get another SW31 and duplicate what you already have

One is a dual, two are not. I can easily fix that. Duplicating it like you say sounds like the easiest way by far.

I have 3 new sch40 3" poles, 3 foot in the ground with 240lbs of cement on each one and anti-spin rods inserted through them and RG-11 run end to end. I've learned from my previous FTA grief and these poles/dishes are ready to take on a category 9 hurricane ! :D Oh, and when I set the poles, I clamped two digital inclinometers to them and set them to absolute perfect, dead on 90 degrees. They could not possibly be any more plumb than this. (ignore the ugly garage, it's getting new siding soon... )

Tuesday is the big moving day. I'm encouraged now to seek out another 211k and some more LNBFS..

Thanks guys! :D

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-01-18 at 9.23.48 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-01-18 at 9.23.48 PM.png
    5.2 KB · Views: 192
  • IMG_3742.jpg
    IMG_3742.jpg
    330.4 KB · Views: 196
Are the LNBFs on your dishes DP duals? or legacy or what?
If they are DP(DishPro) Duals, you will have it made, if not may be a good time to replace with those and things will be much easier now and in the future, well that unless they change something soon which I doubt with the LNBFs anyway.

Anyway if they are DP, you can run one line from each LNBF like you have now. Replace the switch you have with a DP34 switch and your good to go for up to four single tuner receivers(like the 211). The DP34 only needs one wire from each DP LNBF to its 3 inputs and then one wire from one of its 4 outputs to each receiver. So all you would have to do is replace your current switch with the DP34 and run one more line to your second receiver location and done.

Reactions: Dee_Ann
Per account, i.e. it covers both.

YES! This is also very good! I hope some day they will run another special that I can jump on where I can get the HD for lifetime deal. I missed the bus the first time around. I snoozed, I loozed.

Are the LNBFs on your dishes DP duals? or legacy or what?
If they are DP(DishPro) Duals, you will have it made, if not may be a good time to replace with those and things will be much easier now and in the future, well that unless they change something soon which I doubt with the LNBFs anyway.

Anyway if they are DP, you can run one line from each LNBF like you have now. Replace the switch you have with a DP34 switch and your good to go for up to four single tuner receivers(like the 211). The DP34 only needs one wire from each DP LNBF to its 3 inputs and then one wire from one of its 4 outputs to each receiver. So all you would have to do is replace your current switch with the DP34 and run one more line to your second receiver location and done.

The LNBFs I have are two single output and one dual output which is actually an old Directv brand. They fit the dish mounts so if I can leave them be that's great.
I guess I need to do some comparison pricing and see what it would cost to replace the two LNBFs and buy another SW21-3 switch vs just replacing the current SW21-3 with a DP34 switch.

Considering that it will only add another $7 a month to my bill to have a second receiver this is a 99% done deal for me. It would make things sooooooooo much simpler in soon many ways..

YES! This is also very good! I hope some day they will run another special that I can jump on where I can get the HD for lifetime deal. I missed the bus the first time around. I snoozed, I loozed.
I may be wrong, but I was thinking you can still get HD free if you agree to autopay with credit card. Maybe Dirt could help you with that.

I guess I need to do some comparison pricing and see what it would cost to replace the two LNBFs and buy another SW21-3 switch vs just replacing the current SW21-3 with a DP34 switch.

Word of caution: you cannot mix DishPro (bandstacked) LNBs and switches with legacy (voltage switched) LNBs and switches. I think you have all legacy type LNBs if you currently use an SW21 switch.

Reactions: navychop
I bought this switch today.

All the LNBFs I have are the old type that are interchangeable with Diretv or Dish.

Attachments

• $_57-4.JPG
    $_57-4.JPG
    208.9 KB · Views: 214
I may be wrong, but I was thinking you can still get HD free if you agree to autopay with credit card. Maybe Dirt could help you with that.

It will probably be late next month before I see about adding a second tuner, tomorrow is moving day and I have a lot of other priorities I need to deal with first. When I do get to where I can add a second tuner I know I'll have to call in to set it up and at that time I'll ask if they can do that for me.

That is a DishPro switch hence the DP34 model number, you need Dish Pro lnbs and not Legacy lnbs to use it

Oh cr*p...... Here we go again..

Ok, tomorrow I'm taking my dishes down and moving them, I'll get photos of them at that time.

If i
It will probably be late next month before I see about adding a second tuner, tomorrow is moving day and I have a lot of other priorities I need to deal with first. When I do get to where I can add a second tuner I know I'll have to call in to set it up and at that time I'll ask if they can do that for me.

Oh cr*p...... Here we go again..

Ok, tomorrow I'm taking my dishes down and moving them, I'll get photos of them at that time.
If they worked with Directv they are LEGACY not Dish Pro.

I think that every one of them is an old Directtv brand. I used them because I find them on the side of the road sometimes and they fit my dishes. I popped the plastic covers off of them and they fit right into the 20mm clamps on the Prodelin / Primestar dishes I use. My largest 1.2m dish needs a 40mm neck and there is a third party Direttv one that fits into it, it just say on the sticker "Compatible with Directtv"..

So my problem would be finding LNBF's to fit the dishes. I'm not changing or replacing them, as they are now they work exceptionally well and I never, ever experience rain fade. I guess what I should do is sell the DP34 I just bought and find new LNBF's that fit but have dual outputs and use another SW21-3 like I am using now. I doubt I would find Dish Pro LNBFs that would fit the dishes. It's all very non-standard. I know, I know... It's not the right way to do things but it's worked so very well for me that I've never had an issue in more than two year, it just works.

So, I would need three of these, yes?
$_12.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_3762.jpg
    IMG_3762.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 148
  • IMG_3776.jpg
    IMG_3776.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 169
  • IMG_3761.jpg
    IMG_3761.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 171

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts