Adding a second room to existing set up

Bernie Lomax

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Dec 7, 2004
I have one dish 500 system with an 811 reciever. What do I need to do if I want to add my old 301 to a TV in the bedroom? Can I just use a splitter from the wall jack, or does that not work with satellite?

Thanks.

That doesn't work with satellite. You have to run a coax from the dish to the receiver. Depending on your configuration you probably need a switch as well.

Second Room

A DP Twin would be the easiest way to go. On port of the twin to the 811 and one to the 301

C.Lyons said:
A DP Twin would be the easiest way to go. On port of the twin to the 811 and one to the 301
That may or may not be a good answer. Knowing nothing about his current setup, you really can not say.

Bernie Lomax said:
I have one dish 500 system with an 811 reciever. What do I need to do if I want to add my old 301 to a TV in the bedroom? Can I just use a splitter from the wall jack, or does that not work with satellite?

Thanks.
If this is the current equipment you have and barring any 3rd or 4th sat locations a twin would be the most straight forward way. If you only have a dish 500 as you stated in your question. That's just my two cents.

:Sigh: If the install is anywhere near new, He probably already has a DP Twin. Or he might have a Legacy Twin.

Or he might have a pair of Legacy duals with a SW-21, in which case all he'd need is some cable and another SW-21 (much cheaper than a Twin).

Or he might even have a Legacy or DP Quad (unlikely, but it does happen). Finally, and even more unlikely, he might have an external switch. These last often occur in DishMover type situations - previous customer had more gear than the new one.

Trying to keep thing simple for Bernie. If Bernie already had two duals then yes a 21sw would be the cheapest way to go. Yet the use of additional connections for the 21sw could cause problems. Not knowing if Bernie has good quality f-connectors, a crimp or compression tool or weather proofing. I always keep in the back of my mind that connections are the 2nd most cause of trouble in a system. A DP twin and a good length of pre-terminated RG-6 to the ground block then RG-6 to the receiver seems to be the least number of connections therefore the least chance of problems. Remember YUGO was the cheapest means of new transportation but look what you got.

Thanks for the responses, but I'm more confused than when I started.

The satellite dish has one cable coming thru the outside of the house to a wall jack. Then I have my 811 in the living room. I want to be able to watch my old 301 in the bedroom at the same time(a different program, obviously).

:Sigh: Go to your System Installation / Point Dish / Check Switch screens and copy what it says.

It's likely to say something like "DP Twin" or "SW-21" or "DP34". Just type that line into your post.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts