Adding a third receiver

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

smakovits

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 28, 2007
I have a dish 1000.2 and the old owners of my house left an RCA branded receiver from when they had Dish. I haven't tested it to make sure it works but if it does, I want to throw it in an extra room instead of using the second feed thing. However, the bum that came and hooked my stuff up didn't connect the 3rd wire running from the dish. The old owners had 3 wires coming from the dish but for some reason he didn't hook it up while up there on the roof. so now my question is, do I have to do anything special if I climb up there and try to connect the third line thats up there? Is there like a splitter that I hook into? Whats the deal there and why wouldnt the guy just have hooked it up, intead he leaves it loose up there connected to nothing, that moron.

Or since I have the Dish something where I pay the extra 5 bucks for protection on the equipment and such, if the box does work can I call them out to connect the third wire at no cost?

Why would he have hooked it up.... did you ask him to? Also no dish will not service that free the tech did his job and installed the equipment on the account. Now you say they left a RCA receiver whats the model number???

I will have to check the model but it doesnt seem too old, it is an SD receiver; and at the time the guy was out i asked if i could use it and he said he wasnt sure. I was in the middle of a move and things were in disarray and I didnt even think to make him test it, I know it wasnt on the account, but the third feed to the satellite was already run to the roof from the old install....

Did you verify its a dish receiver? I am familair with All dish receivers I believe RCA is a directv receiver in fact my father has it and his is an RCA. If im wrong I will be corrected quickly....:rolleyes:

Did you verify its a dish receiver? I am familair with All dish receivers I believe RCA is a directv receiver in fact my father has it and his is an RCA. If im wrong I will be corrected quickly....:rolleyes:
You are corrected it is probably a DP301. Selling RCA branded DISH receivers is how DISH got a foot in the door of Radio Shack.OP needs to check with DISH to see if there is any outstanding balances on the RCA receiver or old account, they will have to be paid off before DISH will activate that receiver on any account.:)

yes, it is a dp301...so I can call dish to verify this box is paid off and if so, I should be ok to use it for SD TV. They wont count that against me will they? I know you get 2 boxes free, but since this is technically mine, I would assume they cant charge me extra per month for it...

Now, what about hooking this wire up on the roof. I havent yet gone up there since it is winter in Cleveland, but if I do, will there just be a place to plug the loose end of the wire, or does something need to be moded on the dish to add a third line?

You are corrected it is probably a DP301. Selling RCA branded DISH receivers is how DISH got a foot in the door of Radio Shack.OP needs to check with DISH to see if there is any outstanding balances on the RCA receiver or old account, they will have to be paid off before DISH will activate that receiver on any account.:)

So you would think!!! A receiver with a balance simply can't be paid off by "anyone" in order to activate it.

fred

You are correct sorry just posted off the top of my head without some research, was thinking he maybe confused with a directv since a remember my directv rcvr having a huge RCA logo:D

So you would think!!! A receiver with a balance simply can't be paid off by "anyone" in order to activate it.

fred
As already posted anyone can pay it off but some are just not worth the outstanding fee. I bought a 625 off Ebay that DISH told me was owned and balance free. When I got the box it was leased with a $983 plus change balance. DISH didn't want to pay for its return and I didn't want to activate it for that price.:):):)

I have a dish 1000.2 and the old owners of my house left an RCA branded receiver from when they had Dish. I haven't tested it to make sure it works but if it does, I want to throw it in an extra room instead of using the second feed thing. However, the bum that came and hooked my stuff up didn't connect the 3rd wire running from the dish. The old owners had 3 wires coming from the dish but for some reason he didn't hook it up while up there on the roof. so now my question is, do I have to do anything special if I climb up there and try to connect the third line thats up there? Is there like a splitter that I hook into? Whats the deal there and why wouldnt the guy just have hooked it up, intead he leaves it loose up there connected to nothing, that moron.

Or since I have the Dish something where I pay the extra 5 bucks for protection on the equipment and such, if the box does work can I call them out to connect the third wire at no cost?

If the w/o called for the tech to connect three receivers, he would have connected three receivers.
Since you have two ( i assume) on your account, most likely the tech connected two.
Any work you wanted done outside the scope of the work order, you should have asked for it to be done. Most techs cover what is on the w/o before starting work. If I saw an extra wire at the dish and there were enough ports at the LNB I would have asked you if it was ok to connect. But that is just the way I do things. However, I am under no obligation to ask. If the customer does ask and if it is a simple deal I don't bother charging. Usually decent, well brought up people will offer a gratuity or a cold drink or just a thank you for this.
If the work will reqiure extra materials or labor I will charge for that. Non negotiable.
You were not entitled to any additional sevices and you are not entitled to them now.
Based on your choice of language regarding the tech who did the job according the work order, you are not a nice person. And to be frank, I wouldn't give you the time of day if you offered me a limb.
That's what you get for not being a very nice person.
My parents raised me with many words of wisdom. A lesson here...it is easier to attract bees with honey than with vinegar. Got that?

as far as I know There were no receivers made by Thompson Electronics for Dish Network.
This guy's choice of words is outrageous. "I didn't think to make him test the receiver".
I guess the OP is one of those customers who think the tech is his hired help for the day...

Alright..Didn't know that 10 years in this business and I never came into contact with an RCA Dish receiver..How about that...

As already posted anyone can pay it off but some are just not worth the outstanding fee. I bought a 625 off Ebay that DISH told me was owned and balance free. When I got the box it was leased with a $983 plus change balance. DISH didn't want to pay for its return and I didn't want to activate it for that price.:):):)
I went on a service call last week where the customer asked me to swap their 322 out and a 522 they had just bought from Ebay, in. Oh ,I fixed the problem with the 322 first... Anyway, I called Dish and asked about redeployment of the 522. CSR told me no dice. The receiver was leased.
The customer paid $50 for the 522..Caveat Emptor.
I do have a theory which may work...I was thinking the customer could send the 522
back to Dish and ask to lease another in it's place. But then again that would be the same as a Dish 'n it up....That's basically what I told them to inquire about anyway. The Dish'n it Up promo..

I will have to check the model but it doesnt seem too old, it is an SD receiver; and at the time the guy was out i asked if i could use it and he said he wasnt sure. I was in the middle of a move and things were in disarray and I didnt even think to make him test it, I know it wasnt on the account, but the third feed to the satellite was already run to the roof from the old install....

Hahaha good luck with that. Go ahead and post your address so I can come by and cut all the lines coming from your dish you D-Bag

Hahaha good luck with that. Go ahead and post your address so I can come by and cut all the lines coming from your dish you D-Bag

I didnt actually mean it in a bad way...I was moving, so I had people coming and going and was pretty much doing too many things at once. The receiver was in the basement and I was not sure if I could even use it. I was actually trying to help the guy by running upstairs to help tone out the wires in the house. I was trying to make things as simple as possible for the guy really. there was some rg-6 vs rg-59 and so he couldnt put his ends on one of the lines in my wall, so i asked him to just leave a length of cable and I would run it myself to make his life easier. He was actually the one that was rude to me when I asked him about the spare receiver...I asked him if I could use it and he tells me maybe, but I would have to hook it up...I just kind of wondered and said OK, not thinking it would be such a big deal, I figured it would be easier for him to know if I can use it than for me, so when he gave me his response I didnt think much of it and let him keep working on the things he was doing. It wasnt a big deal at the time until now when I come to realize I need the third line connected on the roof in order to even use it, but if DISh want to charge me for a third dish that isnt leased, then forget it. Why is that any way?

I guess the way I made the post made me sound like a dick, but I wasnt, I really was nice to the guy considering it was his car was the one leaking oil all over driveway, I asked him about it since it also leaked oil on my driveway at my old house and he told me he thought he got it fixed, and i told him no big deal, i will clean it up....but for you to say :

Quote:
Originally Posted by smakovits

why dont you give me your address so I can come over and knock your teeth in you loser. I hate internet tough guys like you. I am just looking for a little help since I am new to Dish but geez.