adding additional lnbs by combining them...

SimpleSimon said:
A couple of us were going to setup a database of how to git-r-done with various configurations, but it's a lot of work.
I've read through the Mad Scientist posts, mayonnaise some good data! I sat-til-lite reading through all of it. :)

Ok, let me explain this simply: So far, there is NO way to connect 2 switches together using either an SW21 OR a DP21. The x21 switches seem to only be able to combine 1 switch to another single sat LNB. So, you can connect an SW64 with 105/110/119 into an SW21 on sat 1 and say the 148 into port 2. This config somes up as SW21 - 4sat. Using the DP+44 with 61.5/105/110/119 on sat 1 of the DP21 and the 148 into sat 2 of the DP21, you get a switch config of DP+44/DP21/DPTwin/DPFeed/DPFeed/DPDual. AFAIK, the x21 switches either cannot connect 2 seperate switches, or the receiver do not have the logic for it.

larrystotler said:
Ok, let me explain this simply: So far, there is NO way to connect 2 switches together using either an SW21 OR a DP21. ..................the x21 switches either cannot connect 2 seperate switches, or the receiver do not have the logic for it.

Yep, your right. Put DP34 on dish port 2 of DP21, would not work at all until power inserter put between DP34 and DP21. Then receiver would recognize LNB on 1st dish port of DP34, but nothing on dish ports 2 or 3. DP34 was not even identified in check-switch test. So, there goes the six sat DP hook-up... for now. (glad I found out before I tried to make it work for real!)

Wonder if it's a switch limitation or a receiver logic limitation.

DPP44 + DP 21 between two DPP44 works

OK, the "DISH 1" side of a DPP21 DOES work with the PORT side of a DPP44 combining the DP21 with two DPP44's for 5 satellites.

Example: First DPP44 OUT PORTS
1 = 119
2 = 110
3 = 148
4 = 61.5 to "DISH 1" of DP21

Second DPP44 LNB PORTS IN
1 = 119
2 = 110
3 = 148
4 = 121

Second DPP44 TO RECEIVER
1 = Model 921 w/ power inserter between
2 = "DISH 2" of DP21
3 = unused
4 = Model 6000

Testing with Model 311 the above configuration works.

See the photos that are attached.

I tried this with my Model 6000 but had to use the power inserter to the DP21. It would only show 119, 110 & 121.

I have not tried using two DP21 with opposite configurations to my 921 as there is no possible way to get the exact switch configuation. Using the two DP21 switches showed the first DPP44 with 61.5 at the top ad the second DPP44 with 121 at the bottom. Oh, well. I'll have to think about trying some other ideas in the future.

View the attachments for better details.

Attachments

• S3400023.JPG
    S3400023.JPG
    127.3 KB · Views: 144
  • S3400022.JPG
    S3400022.JPG
    79.5 KB · Views: 123
  • S3400025.JPG
    S3400025.JPG
    142.6 KB · Views: 130
  • S3400024.JPG
    S3400024.JPG
    85.2 KB · Views: 127
  • S3400026.JPG
    S3400026.JPG
    73 KB · Views: 105
Pepper said:
BTW, I'm in zip 36572 (SW Alabama), and haven't had any luck yet finding 148. It is at azimuth 253 and elevation 17 for me. Any chance of getting it with a dish500 at that elevation or do I need something bigger? Also there are some trees in that direction. I think that in order to clear the trees I need to position the dish at a distance at least 2.75 times the height of said trees, right?

Pepper
I can get it with a Dish300 (18") in MN
My elevation is 16

Pepper said:
BTW, I'm in zip 36572 (SW Alabama), and haven't had any luck yet finding 148. It is at azimuth 253 and elevation 17 for me. Any chance of getting it with a dish500 at that elevation or do I need something bigger? Also there are some trees in that direction. I think that in order to clear the trees I need to position the dish at a distance at least 2.75 times the height of said trees, right?
Pepper,

I get satellite 148 with an azimuth of 199 and an elevation of 36. At first I used a dish 300. My average signal on channel 11 was 83. I mounted a dish 500 with a, "I" bracket and now channel 11's signal strength is 93. The larger dish does help. Concerning the trees, you may wish to try the dish from different locations in hopes of getting 148.

John

I can get it at a 16 angle :)

it all depends on trees in the way....and remember, the signal comes at an angle so it may look like tis aimed at the tree but may clear it :D

I did a site survey this weekend for 148. The elevation wouldn't matter, IF there weren't so many trees. And to make it worse, at that angle, all the offending trees are on other peoples' property, even from the absolute farthest place on MY property that I could mount a dish. Anywhere I look towards 17 degrees above level in that direction, I see trees.

Assuming the proton beam cannon works on trees then yes I need one of those. Might take out the satellite as well once it gets past the trees so I'd have to be careful.

I guess I could put it at the top of a pole that extends 20 feet past the 2nd story roof of my house. Would definitely make it kind of difficult to adjust though.

Pepper said:
Assuming the proton beam cannon works on trees then yes I need one of those. Might take out the satellite as well once it gets past the trees so I'd have to be careful.

I guess I could put it at the top of a pole that extends 20 feet past the 2nd story roof of my house. Would definitely make it kind of difficult to adjust though.
Pepper,

I also get 61.5. The elevation here is 13 degrees. I too have trees everywhere as do my neighbors. Frankly, I was very surprised to find that when I put the dish on the highest point of my house, I got an excellent signal. This was when the trees were bare of leaves. Now every tree is fully leaved, the signal remains the same. I think that Iceberg is dead on about the signal beam and angle of the dish having the appearance that it looks like it is aimed at the trees (and in my case more toward the ground) but actually is fine.

Attachments

• S3400043.JPG
    S3400043.JPG
    131.5 KB · Views: 96
boy921 said:
OK, the "DISH 1" side of a DPP21 DOES work with the PORT side of a DPP44 combining the DP21 with two DPP44's for 5 satellites.

I would have expected that to work since the port side of the DPP is just a pass through of the LNB signal. (i think) What I find cool is that your DP21 Port 2 detected the DPP44 - so Port 2 is not single LNB only. But can DP21 be connected to only one switch (either on port 1 or 2) and the other port must be single LNB - or is it that there is DPP44 on port 2 that makes a difference. Rats, just when I thought I had run out of things to test.

redhawk said:
But can DP21 be connected to only one switch (either on port 1 or 2) and the other port must be single LNB - or is it that there is DPP44 on port 2 that makes a difference.
Yes, it will read 5 satellites being hooked to one DPP44 switch.
Rats, just when I thought I had run out of things to test.
I didn't experiment in great depth having read through the Mad Scientists data. It satisfied me that only the dish 2 side of DP21 works with the switch. You are correct in that the DPP44 port is,"pass through." Having read the treads I was beginning to believe that the DPP44 switch out ports were too switch dependant and wouldn't work with the DP21 dish 1 side. Nice surprise! I have tried putting the DP21 between the LNB's and the first DPP44 switch, only one side of the DP21 switch will work. I will have to take the DP21 dish 1 side from the output port of the first DPP44 and put it on one of its receiver ports just to see what happens.

In considering the two DP21's for hook-up to a 921, I may reverse the second DPP44 LNB ports in hopes that they will read the same as the First DPP44 LNB ports.

BTW, the Model 311 check switch screen shows a sixth spot for a satellite assignment. Any idea on how to configure the switchs for the sixth?

boy921 said:
Thanks for the test, but that configuration is NOT really using two DPP44s.

The cascade outputs of DP switches are effectively identical to the corresponding input LNBFs.

If anything, it's probably comparable to using a DP Splitter.

P.S. AFAIK, NO ONE has been able to get 6-birds running.

SimpleSimon said:
Thanks for the test, but that configuration is NOT really using two DPP44s.

The cascade outputs of DP switches are effectively identical to the corresponding input LNBFs.

If anything, it's probably comparable to using a DP Splitter.

P.S. AFAIK, NO ONE has been able to get 6-birds running.
Your are correct SimpleSimon. I did some more testing today. the DP21 dish 1 side only sees LNB's the dish 2 side sees the switch. Maybe E* will produce a switch that will see more than five satellites or better than that, program the switches so they will work in cascade.

Thanks,

John

Any time you connect another switch to a DP or DPP switch it will only take one satellite signal per input. Normally, one line from a DP or DPP LNB contains both satellite feeds because there's a built in switch. A 21 switch into a 44 switch would show up as whatever went into SAT input 1 on the 21.
I could be wrong, but I think I've seen DPP 64 switches. That would solve all our problems.

Teleos said:
I could be wrong, but I think I've seen DPP 64 switches. That would solve all our problems.
Are you sure that wasn't an SW-64? The SW-64 was a legacy switch, 3 birds in, 4 recievers out, basically a legacy DP-34.

larrystotler said:
Had anyone tried to combine a DP Twin and a DP+44 into a DP21? That is the real question to answer.............Or a DP+Twin.
I don't think it will work because the DPP Twin only works with the DPP44 currently, as I understand it. Can't use a separator off of the DP 21 either.

If I had a DPP Twin, I would connect say 61.5 to it's input and output the Twin to the DPP44. If this configuration worked for the 61.5, 119, and 110, I would try and add another bird, say 148 via the DP21 to the DPP44, which in theory could give a person six satellites.

Teleos said:
Any time you connect another switch to a DP or DPP switch it will only take one satellite signal per input. Normally, one line from a DP or DPP LNB contains both satellite feeds because there's a built in switch. A 21 switch into a 44 switch would show up as whatever went into SAT input 1 on the 21.
It was DMK5582 model, but no one claim have it yet.
Also, it's known a config "DPP44-DP21" is support by PVR501+ models.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts