Adding DirecTV to detached garage

Status
Please reply by conversation.
?Newby here, looking for some advice on trying to install directv into my mancave, aka my detached garage located about 45 feet behind my house. I already tried running a cable from the switch outside of my house to the garage but the box could not find a signal. The current setup is as follows: slimline HD dish with one transponder, with a cable leading from it to the switch outside my house, and only one cable right now, leading into my basement, then into an inline power thing (Plugs into the wall, then a cable from the switch outside enters it and another separate coax cable leading out of it into just a single HD DVR). I have another HD DVR receiver I want to add to the garage, so what is the easiest way I can hook it up? Thanks in advance for any advice/help!
If you are having issues with signal, attempt the following...
Connect the receiver intended for the garage inside the house at the location of the other receiver.
Once you do this, run all install procedures as instructed in the install menu.
This will insure the proper dish has been selected and updated software versions have been downloaded at a location known to be functioning properly.
Then, take the garage receiver and connect it to the cable you intend to use and hook it up to the tv. If the cable is good, it should work.
If not, use another cable. Check your fittings.
If the second cable does not work, the problem may be with the SWM splitter.
I will sub to this thread to see updates on how you're doing.

You are getting close,
Inspect both cable fittings, replace the barrel connector, and test. If it works AND you intend to put this underground do this: get a three inch long piece of garden hose or3/4 " pvc pipe. Disconnect a fitting from the connector and slide the hose or pipe on the cable. Reconnect everything and slide the pipe over the fittings and connector. Pump the hose (or pipe) full of caulking. The silicone caulk that is used to seal holes is fine. Pump until you are sure the whole thing is full.

Joe

Hey..That's MY trick....I call it a home made dry splice....Got the idea from when I used to work on irrigation systems..
I used 3/4 PVC and silicone caulk as well.

Thanks for the feedback guys! Directv is set to come out again tomorrow again at around 5-6 o'clock. Receivers are getting swapped out, and they said they could install a new splitter too, because mine is about 4 years old. They recommend replacement of the LNB, and splitter every two years I found out. So after that, should be smooth sailing!

Hey..That's MY trick....I call it a home made dry splice....Got the idea from when I used to work on irrigation systems..
I used 3/4 PVC and silicone caulk as well.

The last one I did was discovered when a customer decided to change a section of lawn into a garden. Roto tillers are good at finding cable.....but the splice held. Everywhere else not so much.

Joe

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts