Please reply by conversation.

i4tas

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 10, 2005
Northern USA
I have a 7.5 mesh BUD dish with working c-band

I want to add ku to the dish to pick up Galaxy 10R

Are they ways to do this that won't be buying the $100+ C/ku combo horn?

I saw this on ebay:
KU POLARIZER C BAND FEEDHORN ADAPTER C AND KU OPERATION
is this a scam?

Are there ways to just have only ku band? (cheaper)

thanks

Yes, you can has just KU or C band, anyway, C band seem is the cheappest setting then KU band.

You didn't mention what kind of receiver you're currently using, but you'll also need a DVB receiver for the KU channels on G10R. Standard analog and 4dtv cband receivers don't do DVB.

I have A lifetime ultra ----so ku will work on it,

What is the advantage of buying a C/Ku feedhorn over just adding an LNBF?

I don't understand how a LNBF from a small dish will work on my BUD, are their any disadvantages? will it allow me to receive signal from all sats listed as Ku on lyngsat?

It is advantageous to use a separate feedhorn/LNB since the feedhorn is matched (or should be) for the dish it is on, whereas the LNBF (LNB with feedhorn built-on) is usually optimized for a smaller dish.

If you use a separate lnbf for KU, you may need to move the dish to a slightly different position for the KU side of each sat than you're using for the C side. I'm thinking you might get into issues with being able to store 2 locations for each sat.

How will this do?

Well i made a custom feedhorn, I will try it out soon. It has a circular and linear.

Last edited:
VERY Nice! Can't wait to see how it works out for ya!

Thanks for posting the picture I am sure it will be very useful to the members contemplating a similar project (Like myself).

Very good job, thank you for the pic. I am contemplating setting up the scaler ring of my 6' dish dish the same way as i have c, ku and dbs lnbs all sitting around gathering dust. I am interested in seeing how much "offset" the dbs and ku LNBS are from the center c-band, when you post your results please let us know :-D

GOT IT UP ---- Working!!!

Here are the pictures from my completed Ku addition to a C-band Dish.

January:
With some extra time and mild temperatures i was able to install my custom made feed-horn (3 LNBS: C-band/Ku-circular/Ku-linear) on new years eve. I was able to put the ku-circular @ 3 o'clock and the Ku-linear @ 9 o'clock. i drilled through the feed-horn the two lnbf, so they would be as close to the middle as possible. i used a 0.3dB Universal Ku Single LNBF and a used single output RCA lnbf.
I had to cut some plastic off the 'cover mount' where the lnbs stuck out a little. As I tried to hook up the wire from the circular lnb it wouldn't clear the 'plastic cover mount' so i drilled a hole for the wire to exit and enter the cover. I then ran three short wires to a 4x1 DisEqC switch inside the cover. The cover fit perfectly and everything fit inside, looking very neat! I then made sure the feed-horn was in the center of the dish.
------------------------------------------SIGNALS-----------------------------------------
c-band: reception stayed the same as before for both digital and analog.

Ku-circular: Works the same as a 18 inch, dish maybe a little better. The circular is about 3 degrees off center the other way.

ku-linear: The Ku linear is 2 degrees off center. Also one slight mistake is all Horizontal Transponders come in as Vertical and visa versa, but that is the only way the lnb fits. I moved the ku lnb untill G10 signal was best. 11720 is bad in the morning, otherwise working good. Signals from other satellites are on average 50% and good.

Last edited:
I don't have a BUD, but most posters here who do agree that Ku can be tricky to get on a BUD, and you usually have to nudge the dish a few clicks to get optimal signal.

Where do you get the replacement circular lnb

I did not see where he said how he got the lnb bell to go in the drill hole.Well I cut mine off and put the plastic ring that came with the old one on the new one.Where do I get a new lnb for the dbs lnb in the scalar ring?I dont need the scalar ring,just the lnb.

Looks like a great job

i4tas said:
With some extra time and mild temperatures i was able to install my custom made feed-horn (3 LNBS: C-band/Ku-circular/Ku-linear) on new years eve. I was able to put the ku-circular @ 3 o'clock and the Ku-linear @ 9 o'clock. i drilled through the feed-horn the two lnbf, so they would be as close to the middle as possible. i used a 0.3dB Universal Ku Single LNBF and a used single output RCA lnbf.
I had to cut some plastic off the 'cover mount' where the lnbs stuck out a little. As I tried to hook up the wire from the circular lnb it wouldn't clear the 'plastic cover mount' so i drilled a hole for the wire to exit and enter the cover. I then ran three short wires to a 4x1 DisEqC switch inside the cover. The cover fit perfectly and everything fit inside, looking very neat! I then made sure the feed-horn was in the center of the dish.
c-band: reception stayed the same as before for both digital and analog.
Ku-circular: I was able to receive signal from Nimiq (91) "65-75" for 1/2 of the transponders and "30-40" on the other 1/2 (i don't understand why so weak). Echostar (110/119) was much better nearly "100" on all conus transponders.
ku-linear: It worked, but i am having troubles with it. I was trying to receive all of G-10R, but only received signal from a few transponders (both Vertical and Horizontal), signals were good however: "55-65" I started another post for this problem here.
When i moved my dish to G-10 C-BAND at a spot with strong signal and then switched over to ku signals were very weak. Once moving the dish a few clicks the signal improved on ku. The same event occurred with the linear LNB. I was wondering if i could add more satellites to my old cband receiver, to solve my offset problem, but moving the dish a few clicks isn't that bad.
pictures of lnb, dish, receivers

Looks to be a first rate job!!!!
Congrats!
Jeff

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)