Adding new HDTV to VIP722

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Gaprofitt

Original poster
Nov 16, 2008
Hi All,

I have a couple of questions.

We currently have two tv's, one hd and one sd, we are replacing the sd tv with HD in the bedroom. Is there a way to add a second receiver/dvr without losing the ability to watch the recordings from the VIP722 on the 2nd tv? My wife likes to continue watching a previously recorded show on the VIP722 in the bedroom and doesn't want to lose this if we add a new box. I'm sure we can do this but I wasn't sure how to connect it all up. Basically I'd like to still have functionality on the new box and the vip722 as it is now.

Thanks,

Greg

You can always watch the SD TV2 output on an HDTV. Or you can use the multiple outputs of TV1 to show HDTV on two sets. Or you can add another HD DVR and also add the EHD option, and move the recordings from the 722 to your new one.

Does your SD TV have Composite connections? If so Connect your New 722 to these and leave your current coax connection from your current 722 as is.

The new hdtv doesn't have coax connections, I assume I will have to run rca and or composite to the other TV to continue to use the VIP722 and VIP622 on both tvs.

You can always watch the SD TV2 output on an HDTV. Or you can use the multiple outputs of TV1 to show HDTV on two sets. Or you can add another HD DVR and also add the EHD option, and move the recordings from the 722 to your new one.
Both the HDMI and Compoment video outputs on your receiver are HOT. You can add your second HDTV with one or the other out. BUT, the second TV will mirror what is on TV1...no independent tuning. If you were to get another 622/722 receiver and pay the fee to have External Hard Drive support activated, you can archive to an external HD drive that you can switch between both receivers. BTW, your new TV definitely has coax...antenna IN... UNLESS your new TV is really and old HD ready TV. But you don't want to use it regardless if you want an HD feed.

Last edited:
Don't you have an antenna in? That is the "coax" connection that your 722 TV2 output would be hooked up to. The 722 defaults to channel 60 for TV2 so tune your new bedroom HD set to channel 60 and see how it looks. The signal getting to you bedroom HD set will be in 480i but if you are not too picky it just might do.

We have a 37 inch Toshiba HD LCD set that we only watch in bed before falling asleep. But I need to add that we are laying in bed with our glasse off 12 feet away from the set so we don't look for a razor sharp picture.

Hi All,

I have a couple of questions.

We currently have two tv's, one hd and one sd, we are replacing the sd tv with HD in the bedroom. Is there a way to add a second receiver/dvr without losing the ability to watch the recordings from the VIP722 on the 2nd tv? My wife likes to continue watching a previously recorded show on the VIP722 in the bedroom and doesn't want to lose this if we add a new box. I'm sure we can do this but I wasn't sure how to connect it all up. Basically I'd like to still have functionality on the new box and the vip722 as it is now.

Thanks,

Greg

Hi Greg, yes you can add another hd rec to the tv2 location and still have the ability to watch recordings from your 722 as you can now. It get a little technical but any installer worth his salt can do it. I did this for a customer a while back, just remember that the 722 shows will still be sd at the tv2 location. The only hd prog you'll be able to view will be supplied by the new hd receiver. I'd recmn'd the 211 as the 2nd rec because you and add an external hard drive and not pay any additional dvr fees. If you want the technical explaination I'll be glad to give it, I'm must trying to keep it simple.

Of course you can have 2 inputs to the new tv, one from the existing receiver and one from the new receiver. But if you only have coax going to the tv location now and the new tv doesn't have coax, then you need to rewire something (Westinghouse, Olevia, etc) - or maybe get a coax to composite converter.

Last edited:
I'd recmn'd the 211 as the 2nd rec because you and add an external hard drive and not pay any additional dvr fees.

Hi dishstaller, can you please explain this further? I thought it was $5.95 for each receiver that can DVR. And are you saying they don't charge the $40 external hard drive fee for the 211 model? Thanks.

Hi dishstaller, can you please explain this further? I thought it was $5.95 for each receiver that can DVR. And are you saying they don't charge the $40 external hard drive fee for the 211 model? Thanks.
THey don't charge the $6/month fee on the 211, but do charge $40 one time for the EHD.

Thank you bebop.

What's so different about the 211 that makes them not charge the fee? Is it a single tuner model DVR? Thanks.
The 211 alone is NOT a DVR. Just a single TV reciever. The EHD turns it into a DVR, but not subject to a DVR fee.

The 211 alone is NOT a DVR. Just a single TV reciever. The EHD turns it into a DVR, but not subject to a DVR fee.

Ah, I get it now. I had looked at it on Dish's site and it's pictured with a DVR remote so I was kind of confused as to why he said there wouldn't be a fee.

Would it work exactly the same as a factory installed DVR once you added the external drive? Could you set up Dish Passes and recurring DVR timers and things like that?

We're upgrading our 522 to (I believe) a 622. We're thinking of also getting another HDTV so we were wondering what the best option would be to replace our 322. We'd only have three TV's total when it's all said and done (2 HDTV's), but we want DVR features on all three of them and one HDTV to have a dual tuner for PIP. So four tuners total I suppose.

Do you have any advice as to what we should have other than the 622? Should we get a second 622 and run it in single mode, or get 2 211's and add EHD?

The way I understand it is the 622 we're getting will be the primary receiver on the account (lease included, add $6 DVR fee). If we get a second 622, add $7 for HD receiver, and $6 for DVR. Is that right? Or is there a better/cheaper way of doing what we want? Thanks a lot for all of your help.

Edit: We have the 250 programming package, do they still waive all DVR fees if you get AEP? It might be worth it to go up a programming package, no?

Ah, I get it now. I had looked at it on Dish's site and it's pictured with a DVR remote so I was kind of confused as to why he said there wouldn't be a fee.

Would it work exactly the same as a factory installed DVR once you added the external drive? Could you set up Dish Passes and recurring DVR timers and things like that?

We're upgrading our 522 to (I believe) a 622. We're thinking of also getting another HDTV so we were wondering what the best option would be to replace our 322. We'd only have three TV's total when it's all said and done (2 HDTV's), but we want DVR features on all three of them and one HDTV to have a dual tuner for PIP. So four tuners total I suppose.

Do you have any advice as to what we should have other than the 622? Should we get a second 622 and run it in single mode, or get 2 211's and add EHD?

The way I understand it is the 622 we're getting will be the primary receiver on the account (lease included, add $6 DVR fee). If we get a second 622, add $7 for HD receiver, and $6 for DVR. Is that right? Or is there a better/cheaper way of doing what we want? Thanks a lot for all of your help.

Edit: We have the 250 programming package, do they still waive all DVR fees if you get AEP? It might be worth it to go up a programming package, no?
You could get another 622 or 722 or 722K. You would get PIP on two or your sets. OR, a 612 (no pip and one TV only...otherwise the same as 622/722). With 612, your leased tuner total would be three, leaving room for one more if case arose). And YES, Dvr fees are included in AEP. You just have to do the math. Those with 3 or more DVRs start to find the savings with it.

I have a similar situation

I have a similar situation as JCarais.

It sounds like there isn't any short term possibility that Dish will have a dual tuner HD DVR that outputs ATSC (instead of NTSC) on the house coax. Is this assumption corret?

Regarding the 211: what's the difference between the 211 & 211K?

Thank you.

Dish will not output ATSC for HD on a remote TV because of the copy protection needed.

Remember, $40 one-time EHD fees apply separately for the 2xx and 6xx/7xx series.

AEP, (not) all everything programming gets you the 4 movie packs for $40/mo and the "free" DVR. You still pay per box for access and $10 for HD.

I'd recommend a HDMI cable for a mirrored HD set that is not close. Use component for the local set. and RF coax for SD sets on TV1+TV2. Single mode if possible.

I have AEP, 722+722+son's 622, 3 1TB and 5 .75TB HDDs storing 1100+ movies and 100s of shows.
-Ken

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)