Adding new Receiver, without increasing contract?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
O

orthopod

Jan 6, 2008
Newbie here, did a lot of reading, used the search function, couln't find my answers...SO............

I have Direct TV in Atlanta. Already have 4 receivers, some mirrored. Our committment

Have a guest in a bedroom, going to be with us until May, when we all move into our new house, an area that DOES NOT have direct TV.

we want o get another receiver...called directTV, they wanted to extend our contract ANOTHER year, even though we explained in 5 months, we will be moving (they said essentially "tough", you'll have to pay the extra cancellation fees for the 7 months that you breach contract).

I have 2 questions:

1) Is there a way to buy a receiver second hand with a direct TV card, and use it in the guest room? We already have service coming in...I dont mind payng an extra $5.00.

2) Our two year obligation with them is finished next month, is there a month to month option that anyone is aware of?

thanks!!

iwc5893

iwc5893

SatelliteGuys Pro
Feb 1, 2007
The desert of WA, zip code EIEIO
Newbie here, did a lot of reading, used the search function, couln't find my answers...SO............

I have Direct TV in Atlanta. Already have 4 receivers, some mirrored. Our committment

Have a guest in a bedroom, going to be with us until May, when we all move into our new house, an area that DOES NOT have direct TV.

we want o get another receiver...called directTV, they wanted to extend our contract ANOTHER year, even though we explained in 5 months, we will be moving (they said essentially "tough", you'll have to pay the extra cancellation fees for the 7 months that you breach contract).

I have 2 questions:

1) Is there a way to buy a receiver second hand with a direct TV card, and use it in the guest room? We already have service coming in...I dont mind payng an extra $5.00.

2) Our two year obligation with them is finished next month, is there a month to month option that anyone is aware of?

thanks!!

If you OWN the receiver, then it can be added to the account without a contract extension. The problem here is that D* doesn't really sell receivers to customers anymore since they've switched to the leasing model. You may be able to purchase a receiver from an online site, but there are risks entailed with that. For example, if the used receiver has a balance on the account, you will be required to pay off that balance before D* will activate it. In addition, D* may require you to obtain a new access card for the receiver which costs about $20.00.

As to your second question, once your contract expires you are on a month to month lease, which means you can cancel at any time without penalty...provided you haven't done anything to extend your contract.

jdspencer

jdspencer

SatelliteGuys Pro
Oct 22, 2004
Binghamton, NY
Have a guest in a bedroom, going to be with us until May, when we all move into our new house, an area that DOES NOT have direct TV....
Is there a reason why you can't have DirecTV at the new house?

J

Jhon69

SatelliteGuys Pro
Mar 19, 2006
Central San Joaquin Valley,CA.

I have 2 questions:

thanks!!

I would kindly explain to the guest that they need to tuff it out for 5 months just to be safe and not have a commitment come back on you.;):welcome

P.S. Unless they want to sign a contract with you saying they will pay any extra commitment costs.;)

Status
Please reply by conversation.