Adding new RG6 runs to existing house

aec4

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 26, 2005
Currently, since we have DirecTV 3 LNB dish, I have my cable modem and satellite running into my home office on 1 line via a diplexer. With the 5lnb dish, that's not possible anymore, so I was going to run a new line to the office. At the same time, I was going to run an additional line to the family room for TiVo.

How would I go about doing this? I've run wire before, but never into existing walls. The existing lines both run from their wallplate down to the basement, and then run around the basement to the outside area.

The office is on the 2nd floor, and the family room is on the first floor (obviously easier I can imagine). I have found the line that runs into the office in the basement... basically runs to a point directly below the office and runs straight up to the office.

How would I go about dropping another line from the wallplate here (I'll go buy a new 2 RG6 wallplate) down to the basement? Is there a special tool to use? I see there is a box behind the wallplate that allows 1 wire through each of it's 4 corners... I can get a coax rg6 through another hole, but I don't know how to force it down the 12 feet or so it has to go. Same goes for the family room, but the drop may be 2 feet. Do you know what I'm asking?

Once I run the wire, everything else would be quite easy, then I can have directv come, put up the 5lnb dish, and they also said they'd put in a 4x8 so I can have the additional line for TiVo in the family room. None of that is a concern... Im just wondering how to run the lines into the existing wallplates, and then swap out the actual plates.....

Sorry if I did not use all the exact terminology.. (wallplates/etc)

Depending on how soon you need your new receivers, you may just want to connect them to the single wire for now.

D* is testing SWM which will allow using only one wire with the H20 and HR20. Check out the Cutting Edge section of the DBStalk forum.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts