Status
Please reply by conversation.

satjay

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Jun 30, 2005
Michigan
Hey guys I am adding an old RCA TIVO DVR to the excersise room at the house. I just spoke to the CSR about firing it up. I already have one wire wired to the DVR. He mentioned that the RCA TIVO DVR only needs one wire? Its on older RCA TIVO DVR.

I need to connect the wire to the multswitch inside to the outside of the house. Any recomndation on wire and the Drill bit to use!!

Thanks

Just for clarity's sake, you realize that the older Tivo units will only provide limited MPEG2 service, right? Within a short time frame (maybe a year or so) that unit won't work at all as the channels convert 100% to MPEG4.

Just for clarity's sake, you realize that the older Tivo units will only provide limited MPEG2 service, right? Within a short time frame (maybe a year or so) that unit won't work at all as the channels convert 100% to MPEG4.

Ok, I do have a DTV non HD DVR as well I am not using. I was just looking for something a bit easier to do. So the MPEG switch will also be for Non HD programing as well? if so I will go with my DTV DVR and hook it up.

My understanding is that yes, all signals will "eventually" be converted to MPEG4. Anything that comes out going forward will be MPEG4, and the conversion of old MPEG2 signals will begin "later". No absolute timetable that I am aware of, but old tivo units will only show about 7-10 HD channels at this point. All SD (I believe) is still MPEG2.

Ok, I do have a DTV non HD DVR as well I am not using. I was just looking for something a bit easier to do. So the MPEG switch will also be for Non HD programing as well?

No they aren't, the meg2 non-local channels are going no where for very long time.

No they aren't, the meg2 non-local channels are going no where for very long time.

Ok this is good, as I mentioned this is for a non HD TV I have (small 13inch for a exercise area). So is there a specific type of cable wiring that I need to wire from the multiswitch to the outside of the house. I am guesing it should be fun as well drilling an aditional hole to conect to the outside!!

Use RG6 cable. A solid copper center conductor is preferred, but copper clad steel will probably work fine. If you have enough ports on your multiswitch, you should run two cables. It will work with only one, but you will be unable to view one channel while recording another.

The RG6 cable is runnin a few inches short to my eight way from my reciver...Can I connect a cable coax cable to the RG6 to and connect it to the eight way...Or will coax regular cable not work???

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)