adding receiver to sw64

all4jo

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 5, 2004
Haiti and lexington ky
hello everyone, i wanted to know how i can add an extra receiver to a sw64? i already have 2 dual tuners dvrs hooked up to it and i just wanted to add one more line.
thanks

you need to add another switch and get some high frequency splitters

The splitters need to be able to handle up to 2000MHZ or more.

Put one on each output of the LNB’s (so you’ll need 4 or 6 depending on how many LNB’s you have). Hook the switches up to the LNB’s

So lets say you have 3 LNB’s

LNB 1 port 1----splitter port 1-------SW64
--------------------splitter port 2-------2nd SW64
LNB 1 port 2----splitter port 1-------SW64

Repeat for each LNB

Iceberg weren't Voltage blocking couplers also required with that splitting setup. It has been a while since Legacy setups were the norm? Seeing you have 2 dual tuner receivers it might be cheaper and easier to upgrade to Dish Pro instead of the Legacy equipment.

all4jo
how mnay dishes do you have? 2 or 3?
I assume (seeing your location) these are larger dishes with dual LNB's on them?

You could get another SW44 or SW64…the 44 only allows 2 satellites, whereas the SW64 allows 3.

You could convert to DishPro but that would need you getting new equipment (new LNB’s and switches)

Pros-you would need 3 lines from the dishes (1 for each dish) to the switch
Switches can be cascaded (real easy to do these)

Cons-obviously $$
You still need 2 lines from the switch to the dual tuner receivers (DP34 siwtches are much cheaper than DP44)

hey iceberg, could i do this also? could i get one of the splitters and put it on one line comming out of sw64? i just want the one extra box to be able to get the 119 sat. i dont need the any programming of 110 and 61.5.
thanks

Iceberg said:
you need to add another switch and get some high frequency splitters

The splitters need to be able to handle up to 2000MHZ or more.

Put one on each output of the LNB’s (so you’ll need 4 or 6 depending on how many LNB’s you have). Hook the switches up to the LNB’s

So lets say you have 3 LNB’s

LNB 1 port 1----splitter port 1-------SW64
LNB 1 port 2----splitter port 1-------SW64

Repeat for each LNB

Iceberg,

If you want to connect TWO SW64 together to one Dish then you need 6 Satellite Splitters, With DC block on one side. You also need 3 Feed Through Loads.

John

Last edited:
all4jo said:
hey iceberg, could i do this also? could i get one of the splitters and put it on one line comming out of sw64? i just want the one extra box to be able to get the 119 sat. i dont need the any programming of 110 and 61.5.
thanks

Why didnt you say that before?? :) MUCH easier

get a 3x4 multisiwtch like DirecTV uses. Hook the 2 outputs from the 119 LNB to the inputs on the multiswitch. Then hook 2 lines from the multiswitch to your SW64. The other 2 unused ports on the multiswicth would be 119 only

I just helped someone in Canada who has expressvu (ExpressVu is a Canadian DTH provider that uses Dish equipment) with the same setup. Here is the post (substitute 91 for 119)
http://www.satelliteguys.us/showpost.php?p=514230&postcount=4

Here is the whole thread
http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=59862

and yes it wiill work :)

all4jo said:
could i get one of the splitters and put it on one line coming out of sw64? i just want the one extra box to be able to get the 119 sat.
Absolutely not. No splitters can be used to supply more than one receiver. The exception to the "no splitters!" rule is that they can be used to supply more than one switch. Iceberg's post 10 is a creative example.

Here is what the parallel SW64 installation looks like:
Dual SW64 diagram: http://www.dishnetwork.com/downloads/pdf/technology/installation/install-5.pdf
Photo: http://www.dishretailer.com/ts2001/1/MVC-006S.JPG

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts