Adding receivers w/o contract.

jedolley

Original poster
Sep 6, 2007
I just called into Dish Network about adding a HD receiver for 1 room (was looking at the VIP 211). The rep quoted me $100, but offered me a HD DVR for $25, but with a 2yr commitment. I informed here that I was not interested in signing up with a commitment, but just wanted to add a receiver. She stated that adding any receiver would result in a commitment.

Are there any other options for me to add a receiver (3rd party purchased or otherwise) w/o a contract?

Thanks,

JD

If the receiver can be bought from a local dealer or a website dealer then you should be able to add it with out the comitment. You would have to instal it your self. What you were told by the csr was proably a lease. For some reason the dish csr's do not grasp the concept of buying the receiver from them. They only have lease upgrades when ever I call and tell me it can not be bought directly for them. Or they tell me my account does not have that particlar offer to buy only to lease.

Last edited:
Dish does not sell receivers, they lease them.

If you want to buy - go to a local dealer or the DishStore.com

Dish does not sell receivers, they lease them.

If you want to buy - go to a local dealer or the DishStore.com

But it seems like when you sign up for new service, you actually get the receiver and don't have to lease it. For example, I called Dish directly to sign up for Turbo. They sent some schmuck who gave me a receiver. So am I leasing that 722 or do I own it? I don't see a lease payment on my bill, but I suppose that could be a promotional period thing...

But it seems like when you sign up for new service, you actually get the receiver and don't have to lease it. For example, I called Dish directly to sign up for Turbo. They sent some schmuck who gave me a receiver. So am I leasing that 722 or do I own it? I don't see a lease payment on my bill, but I suppose that could be a promotional period thing...

If you got the receiver(s) free from Dish as a new customer, it is leased. New customers just do not pay an upgrade fee.

I just went thru the same scenario when trying to have a Vip211 shipped to me for $50 as listed on their website. 3 reps said that the Vip211 cannot be shipped to me, only installed for $100. I was also offered a 612 w/ installation for $25. This would mean that I'd be paying $6/month for additional receiver fee and another $6/month for the 2nd DVR service.

At the 2 year mark, the additional cost of having a Vip211: $100 w/ installation+$40 for EHD activation+($6/monthly feex24 months) = $284

versus the 612 for $25 w/installation+($6+6x24 months) = 313

At the 3 year mark, it becomes even more staggering, $356 versus $457. At those prices it'd make sense to buy a 211 outright.

I should mention that I have several external hard drives already at my disposal*.

db130: be aware that with a 211 you cannot record one thing and watch another thing live. If you can live with that, the 211 is the better deal.

You still have the additional receiver fee even if you buy.

With the 211 you CAN record an event OTA and watch an event over satellite or vice versa, IF you have the External Hard drive option enabled and working.

I recorded Heroes OTA last night while watching Charlie Chat.

db130: be aware that with a 211 you cannot record one thing and watch another thing live. If you can live with that, the 211 is the better deal.

You still have the additional receiver fee even if you buy.

the 612 is a single tuner DVR with OTA and the 211 is a single tuner with OTA, i can live with it.

i am familiar with the additional receiver fee even if i buy as the fee was factored into the cost analysis over 24 months as seen above.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts