Additional HD install w/ OTA required

Status
Please reply by conversation.

ctjr

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 13, 2006
I already have DirecTV in my house. One HR10-250 and two standard DVRs. Currently, on my "main" television, I get my HD locals OTA into the HR10-250. The antenna is diplexed into the sat line (at least, that is how I understand it).

I now would like to add HD DVR capabilities to one of the sets that currently has a standard dvr (I am upgrading that TV set to an HD model).

I have 2 questions about this:

Will the current diplexing set-up work on this tv as well, or will I have to have some one go up on the roof (not me!) and do something more?

And, maybe even more important, does anyone know if D* even HAS any HD DVRS in stock? I read that they are really hurting for them at this point.

Thanks much!

Well, there are plenty of HR20s in stock. What might be a delay is getting it insalled since the installers are really backed up in some areas. You can always go buy it at Best Buy or something and see if DirecTV will give you some credits (get the credits first of coruse). Then you can just install it yourself.

As for diplexing, note that diplexing won't work with the new 5 LNB dish (the new KA sats use the same frequency that diplexors use for OTA) so you really need a direct cable from the antenna to the receivers anyway in the future. So you can run a dedicated line from the antenna to a splitter and then out to your 2 receivers that need it. Your signal will be better this way as well.

Would I HAVE to get an HR20? I know I'll have to switch eventually, but it would be nice to have the Tivo.

I didn't know that diplexing wasn't an option with the newer dishes (I guess that's the one that will be installed at some future point?) Of course, when they install that new dish, won't I be getting my locals anyway?

That still leaves me with my original question-- with my CURRENT dish/set-up, will something else have to be done to carry the OTA that is already diplexed into my main set into this second box (either HR20 or 10-250).

Thanks!

Would I HAVE to get an HR20? I know I'll have to switch eventually, but it would be nice to have the Tivo.

Well, since they haven't even made a Tivo unit with DirecTV in nearly well over a year you don't have that many options. You can still find the old HR10 on eBay and places like that and at a premium. But of course it won't get any of the new HD that goes up and eventually the current HD will be shut off and moved to the new sats with the HR10 can't see. The HR10 will still be good for OTA and SD recording though.

I didn't know that diplexing wasn't an option with the newer dishes (I guess that's the one that will be installed at some future point?) Of course, when they install that new dish, won't I be getting my locals anyway?

You'll get HD locals if they are offered in your area. Of course that requires an HR20 since the HD locals are on the new KA sats and in MPEG4, which the HR10 can't see or decode. When/if you get an HR20 the 5LNB dish and the new switch will be included in the install.

That still leaves me with my original question-- with my CURRENT dish/set-up, will something else have to be done to carry the OTA that is already diplexed into my main set into this second box (either HR20 or 10-250).

Hard to say. I would guess so but there are several ways things can be diplexed so it's hard to say. Easy enough to try at your other receiver location with your current receiver and diplexer.

I'm in the same situation as you.

My understanding is that I can keep the diplex on the single coax run to my older HD STB since I don't need the new features.

However, if that interferes with the new sat I'll have them run another coax line off the OTA to my mux station. I already have 2 coax run to the wall plate.

There is not a shortage of receivers, they are just scheduling new customers quickly and pushing current customers/upgrades out. I got a date 2 weeks out.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts