Additional Joey - ethernet only?

Aurora

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Dec 2, 2008
Aurora, CO
We want to add a 4th TV in our office, which has ethernet but no coax. Currently I have 2 Hoppers and 1 Joey - would it be possible to add a 2nd Joey and only hook up the ethernet cable (no coax)? Sorry if this has be answered already, I can't find a definitive answer.

Yes, lots of people do this. It is not officially supported by dish, however. Your hopper must be connected to Ethernet also. Either directly or with an HIC.

Edit: forgot to mention,if your ADDING a Joey, I believe the Joey must initially be Powered on and allowed to update and do its stuff on coax, then can be moved to Ethernet permanently.

We want to add a 4th TV in our office, which has ethernet but no coax. Currently I have 2 Hoppers and 1 Joey - would it be possible to add a 2nd Joey and only hook up the ethernet cable (no coax)? Sorry if this has be answered already, I can't find a definitive answer.

The only missing feature is the dropdown in the DVR listing that allows you to choose which Hopper's DVR items you want to view. You can still switch which Hopper the Joey is linked to without any problems and get access to the content of either Hopper, it just takes a couple of extra remote clicks.

Cool thanks guys, just wanted to check before proceeding. Now I guess I just call Dish and ask for another Joey?

Powerline ethernet with Joey?

Resurrecting an old thread. I want to make one Joey mobile inside the house, to rooms without coax. Has anyone used a powerline ethernet adapter to make a connection between the Hopper and Joey?

Resurrecting an old thread. I want to make one Joey mobile inside the house, to rooms without coax. Has anyone used a powerline ethernet adapter to make a connection between the Hopper and Joey?

I've seen reports of people doing this successfully.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Forum Runner

I have my Hopper connected by Powerline Ethernet using bridging to connect the Joey. I think it would work for a Joey because several folks here have reported that they have there Joeys connected by Ethernet ( hard wire).

Damn 3Halo is fast.

It usually works except in some houses where the electrical wiring doesn't cooperate.

I've also heard that joeys will now do an initial software download via ethernet. I haven't had an opportunity to try it myself so I can't say it's accurate.

Okay, connecting the Joey via powerline ethernet does work. I used the TP-LINK TL-PA1410 AV500 adapters. I had the Joey connected to coax initially, so it was already configured.

This is great, now I can move the Joey around the house without worrying about coax connections.

Okay, connecting the Joey via powerline ethernet does work. I used the TP-LINK TL-PA1410 AV500 adapters. I had the Joey connected to coax initially, so it was already configured.

This is great, now I can move the Joey around the house without worrying about coax connections.
You probably should test all the locations in your house that you may want to use as you may find some that don't work and some that will.
Depends on which side of the power each location is connected in your circuit breaker box.

Typical power to the house is 250VAC and is split in the CB box roughly in half with each side paired to neutral with only the neutral in common. If the line you want to use is on the other half of the power line you may have trouble using powerline ethernet connection.

Give it a try before you need it. I had to run a dedicated ethernet line to a location from my PC/router setup to the garage to get a solid signal for a specific application. (That was a bitch of a job as it was opposite corners of the house and being on a slab, had to go through the attic. No fun at all.)

I just installed a TV near my router which does not have any coax near it. I tried just unplugging my one Joey and moving it to that TV and plugging it via ethernet directly into my router which my Hopper is connected to and it just spins looking for my hopper to connect to and then dumps me to a window saying to check my connections.

I checked the network setup and the Joey is getting an IP on my router subnet and the network shows all green.

Is there a trick to getting it to see my Hopper, like having both coax and ethernet attached (I havent tried that yet admittedly), or should it have syched to my Hopper with nothing special to do? I have bridging enabled on the Hopper as the joey I moved is near coax but not an ethernet drop at its home location, so do I need to disable bridging on the Hopper?

I have much more I can play with I know, but was hoping folks that have an ethernet joey working would let me know what their setups are that would be appreciated while I tinker on my side. :)

Thanks lucky! That's what I thought that there could be some routing issues. When I got home from work I disabled bridging on the hopper and after it configured my Joey I was able to move it to the other tv and with nothing but Ethernet connected it linked to the hopper. Good to know that I have an option now instead of running additional coax.

What? Bridging bridges a Hopper's Ethernet/WiFi connection with the MoCA network. If the Joey is on Ethernet/WiFi, bridging doesn't apply. Now if one were to have other Hopper(s)/Joey(s) on the MoCA network that need Internet access, then bridging would apply. If the other receivers have their own Ethernet/WiFi connection, then again, bridging wouldn't apply. What can cause issues would be if bridging were on and Ethernet/WiFi were connected to the other receivers, as well as MoCA. Then they'd grab two IPs, causing issues. I guess in a way that's what you meant?

Yes that's what I meant. You have two connections and bridging is enabled somewhere, you'll see 1303. You'd be surprised at how many people have two Hoppers, both connected and bridging on. Or think they are connecting over the moca bridge at the second hopper but in fact it's also connecting to wifi at the same time and 1303 is a result.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts