Adelphia - New install questions

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

subdude212

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 31, 2003
MA
Adelphia - New install comments / questions

I just got Adelphia cable installed yesterday. Unlike my Voom installer, this guy was late, angry, stupid and arrogant. This new SA 8300 box is going to take a bit of getting used to - it seems to stretch all of the analog channels at the moment:mad:. When I set it to stop stretching it then squeezed all of the HD channels down - what is going on here? The PQ on HD channels looks comparable to Voom but I only got to look at it briefly. Many non-HD channels look horrendous such as the Fox Soccer Channel. I thought it look horrible on Voom but on Adelphia it is actually worse :confused: .

Hey subdude, is the SA8300 just an cable box or is it a DVR?
What outputs are on it? DVI, Component? Are they all active at the same time like the Voom STB?

PS: I'm getting Adelphia installed on Monday...that's why I have all these ???

truqui said:
Hey subdude, is the SA8300 just an cable box or is it a DVR?
What outputs are on it? DVI, Component? Are they all active at the same time like the Voom STB?

PS: I'm getting Adelphia installed on Monday...that's why I have all these ???

The SA 8300 is an HD receiver / HD DVR. It has an HDMI output which may or may not be active. The genius that installed for me didn't know and didn't carry any HDMI cables (I will need an HDMI to DVI cable to use this output). So it is currently hooked up via component. From browsing other forums it sounds like most if not all of the outputs are active at the same time but I haven't messed with mine yet to actually prove this out yet.

There are several forums active with people who have added extra hard drives via the SATA2 connector which is live if the software is SARA and not Passport. I haven't verified which software I've got yet. A SATA 2 cable is also a key requirement.

The two firewire jacks have not been reported to live for anyone yet.

So far I haven't figured out this stretching crap and its pissing me off. Otherwise I find the PQ to be decent although in need of adjustment for color and brightness. On my set everything had a red push and a tad too bright.

BTW, that is simply the most disturbing avatar I've ever seen :eek:

subdude212 said:
This new SA 8300 box is going to take a bit of getting used to - it seems to stretch all of the analog channels at the moment:mad:. When I set it to stop stretching it then squeezed all of the HD channels down - what is going on here?
subdude, you probably haven't configured the box to correct TV aspect ratio. Turn off the box, leave the TV set on. Press Guide and Info buttons (on the box itself) simultaneously. You will see initial setup screen. Follow on-screen instructions. You can use your remote at this point. Select "advanced" when prompted. You will be asked to select the aspect ratio and supported resolution modes.

Good luck!

subdude212 said:
Subdude,

I contacted Scientific-Atlanta and they have firmware to enable fully functional firewire ports. The local Adelpia office has agreed to support my request after I filed a compaint. We shall see what happens. Anyway, check out these posts:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?postid=5535578#post5535578
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?postid=5520506#post5520506
http://www.satelliteguys.us/showpost.php?p=458149&postcount=2

Ilya said:
subdude, you probably haven't configured the box to correct TV aspect ratio. Turn off the box, leave the TV set on. Press Guide and Info buttons (on the box itself) simultaneously. You will see initial setup screen. Follow on-screen instructions. You can use your remote at this point. Select "advanced" when prompted. You will be asked to select the aspect ratio and supported resolution modes.

Good luck!

Thanks, Ilya, I messed about with it again last night and did as you recommended. I eliminated all of the resolution choices except the native res of my HDTV and now I thankfully get no stretching.

We'll have to see how the dust settles with the Adelphia/Comcast/Time Warner deal. I suppose it might be possible to see them pick up the Voom 21 channels right? It will be WorldSport that ultimately determines where I finally end up. Its cable for now with no long term commitment which isn't so bad.

riffjim4069 said:
Subdude,

I contacted Scientific-Atlanta and they have firmware to enable fully functional firewire ports. The local Adelpia office has agreed to support my request after I filed a compaint. We shall see what happens.

riff:

I'd love to see those firewire ports active. Failing that I'll look forward to someone decrypting the data on an externally attached SATA drive so that it can be connected to a PC for archiving the content.

subdude212 said:
The SA 8300 is an HD receiver / HD DVR. It has an HDMI output which may or may not be active. The genius that installed for me didn't know and didn't carry any HDMI cables (I will need an HDMI to DVI cable to use this output). So it is currently hooked up via component. From browsing other forums it sounds like most if not all of the outputs are active at the same time but I haven't messed with mine yet to actually prove this out yet.

There are several forums active with people who have added extra hard drives via the SATA2 connector which is live if the software is SARA and not Passport. I haven't verified which software I've got yet. A SATA 2 cable is also a key requirement.

So far I haven't figured out this stretching crap and its pissing me off. Otherwise I find the PQ to be decent although in need of adjustment for color and brightness. On my set everything had a red push and a tad too bright.

BTW, that is simply the most disturbing avatar I've ever seen :eek:

Thanks subdude...I just had my install this morning read here

Not even the installer knew that the DVR functions on the box were working in my area...actually I was told there wasn't a DVR available for my location yet...!!!

I haven't played with it yet...but I don't see any stretch problems. The HD channels are very fine, the basic SD are crappy (like I knew they would be) but the digital cable channels are so far so good!

So you think that the DVI output might be active huh? I'll check tonight, I have to pick up an adapter.
I just realized that the box is a Motorola DCT 6412 not SA8300 and it does have DVI not HDMI...
Here it is Moto DCT6412

BTW...what avatar are you talking about???

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts